This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Cake Mix?

sora

sora Community Regular

My daughter and her boyfriend will be moving in with me shortly to help out.

The boyfriends birthday is coming up and I would like to make a cake for him. They agreed to be gluten free so I want to show that it can be yummy.

I want to use a mix because I haven't been well. Any recommendations as to brand?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

King Arthur Chocolate Cake Mix. No one will know its gluten-free.

Pamela's is good, but salty. I wasn't the only one that noticed the saltiness so I do think it's there.

krystynycole Contributor

While I know King Arthur is better, Betty Crocker has a cake mix easily available in most stores around me. I know there is some debate over it on here and it's a personal taste thing. However, I like it because I can find it many stores easily and adapt for muffins. I like there chocolate cake, vanilla cake, and brownie mix...to me they compare to other gluten box cake mixes you would find in the store. If you want it to taste like you made it from scratch them get King Arthur.

Skylark Collaborator

My wheat-eating friends tried some cupcakes I made from the Betty Crocker gluten-free devil's food mix at a party. They said they were a touch dryer than wheat but that the flavor was good and all the cupcakes disappeared.

krystynycole Contributor

My wheat-eating friends tried some cupcakes I made from the Betty Crocker gluten-free devil's food mix at a party. They said they were a touch dryer than wheat but that the flavor was good and all the cupcakes disappeared.

You do have to watch them...I usually pull them out earlier for that.

sora Community Regular

Great, thanks everyone.

I guess you could use yogurt as the liquid to make it more moist?

krystynycole Contributor

you can also use apple sauce for the oil...moister and healthier!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

you can also use apple sauce for the oil...moister and healthier!

Good idea!

krystynycole Contributor

It was a trick I used in "normal" gluten baking too.

JADANI Newbie

Apple sauce. Thats awesome. Good idea.

JADANI Newbie

Swirl Betty Crocker Gluten Free devil's food and yellow cake mixes. Thats all I have to say.lol

Kelleybean Enthusiast

My daughter and her boyfriend will be moving in with me shortly to help out.

The boyfriends birthday is coming up and I would like to make a cake for him. They agreed to be gluten free so I want to show that it can be yummy.

I want to use a mix because I haven't been well. Any recommendations as to brand?

There's also a gluten free version of the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. You can use the Betty Crocker as a base and add ingredients. I really like the orange cake recipe.

sora Community Regular

I just found out that his favorite is Black Forest Cake.

That should be fairly easy to do.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I like the Betty Crocker mixes and I think the "Cake Doctor" book is great. The more stuff you add, the more you can't tell there is anything different.

I found that the cake mix seemed like a smaller amount than a regular box of mix . . . makes less cupcakes than you would expect. Now I just double it if I want to make a layer cake or a sheet cake.

Cara

sora Community Regular

I like the Betty Crocker mixes and I think the "Cake Doctor" book is great. The more stuff you add, the more you can't tell there is anything different.

I found that the cake mix seemed like a smaller amount than a regular box of mix . . . makes less cupcakes than you would expect. Now I just double it if I want to make a layer cake or a sheet cake.

Cara

Would one box be enough for two round pans? I want to slice them and have four layers.

Archived