This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Which Probiotics

JustNana

JustNana Apprentice

As I am still in the first few weeks of being gluten free I am anxious to do what I can to promote intestinal health. I am working on the belief that longterm celiac disease has caused considerable damage to my gut, I am desperate for information on the benefits of Probiotics, your experiences, etc.

I started with just cultured buttermilk, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc and found them so soothing that I have been able to drastically cut my dependence on Prilosec, which I think is contributing to my unhealthy gut. Then I got an acidophilus capsule. Then I went to the health food store and became utterly confused by the different straight s, brands and claims.

Please help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jessthirtytwo Apprentice

As I am still in the first few weeks of being gluten free I am anxious to do what I can to promote intestinal health. I am working on the belief that longterm celiac disease has caused considerable damage to my gut, I am desperate for information on the benefits of Probiotics, your experiences, etc.

I started with just cultured buttermilk, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc and found them so soothing that I have been able to drastically cut my dependence on Prilosec, which I think is contributing to my unhealthy gut. Then I got an acidophilus capsule. Then I went to the health food store and became utterly confused by the different straight s, brands and claims.

Please help!

I have been taking Garden of Life Primal Defense Probiotics since I was diagnosed. I take them twice a day, once with breakfast and then once again with dinner. This brand has the highest concentration of good bacteria that I have found, and they have seemed to work the best. What you should look for is a variety of probiotic species, and of course make sure the pill is gluten free.

Here is a link to their website: Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

I have been taking Garden of Life Primal Defense Probiotics since I was diagnosed. I take them twice a day, once with breakfast and then once again with dinner. This brand has the highest concentration of good bacteria that I have found, and they have seemed to work the best. What you should look for is a variety of probiotic species, and of course make sure the pill is gluten free.

Here is a link to their website: Open Original Shared Link

I don't think Primal Defense is safe. They use barley grass and it's not tested for gluten. It's a shame too becasue it would be a nice product. This worried me.

Q: Is Primal Defense ULTRA gluten free?

A: While every effort is made to cut the cereal grasses before the gluten head is formed and no ingredients known to contain gluten are added to the formula, as with Primal Defense, Garden of Life is unable to give a guarantee that the product is 100% gluten free as there may be minute traces of gluten from the cereal grasses.

From Open Original Shared Link

I've taken ThreeLac, Ultimate Flora, Bio-Kult and recently switched to VSL#3. I really like Bio-Kult and I may go back to it.

Edited to add: I recently learned from the manufacturer that Threelac has up to 30 ppm gluten. Please look further down this thread to post #12 where I put their email.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm taking Culturelle non-dairy and Power Dophilus.

It was recommended to me to take them on an empty stomach so the acid that's released when eating food doesn't kill the little buggers off. Different brands have different directions. Be sure to follow what it says on the bottle.

Cathey Apprentice

I started using nutraMetrix several months ago (I get it from my GP). I can't compare the mg as my is measured in CFU. I have to tell you it has made a huge difference in my healing and everyday just feeling good. Your on the right track, I also use an Aloe drink each day as it helps with the digestive aspect of all the healing. I take Nexium each day, a reflex medication just like you Prilosec. Keep up the good work your on the right track.

jessthirtytwo Apprentice

I don't think Primal Defense is safe. They use barley grass and it's not tested for gluten. It's a shame too becasue it would be a nice product. This worried me.

Q: Is Primal Defense ULTRA gluten free?

A: While every effort is made to cut the cereal grasses before the gluten head is formed and no ingredients known to contain gluten are added to the formula, as with Primal Defense, Garden of Life is unable to give a guarantee that the product is 100% gluten free as there may be minute traces of gluten from the cereal grasses.

From Open Original Shared Link

I've taken ThreeLac, Ultimate Flora, Bio-Kult and recently switched to VSL#3. I really like Bio-Kult and I may go back to it.

dang. well, thanks for the heads up! maybe thats why i am not yet feeling 100%. sorry for the misinformation...

JustNana Apprentice

Thanks for the info everyone. I grabbed a bottle of something at the health food store last week and will try one of the suggested brands.

Cathey, thanks for the pep talk and encouragement. It really does help. I recently read that acid reflux, which I suffered with for years, can be caused by LOW acid as well as too much. I have noticed almost as soon as I went gluten-free that I felt less acidy and have cut the Prilosec to one every two or three days. I have osteoporosis and would like to completely eliminate the acid reducers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ndw3363 Contributor

Nana -

I always thought I had too much acid as well and antacids never seemed to help much. My doctor told me I was actually low acid - I started taking HCl supplements with meals and wow what a difference. I no longer have reflux, gas or bloating after meals. Also, if you are prone to infections (fungal, bacterial, etc), that could be another sign that you aren't producing enough acid. I went through 2 years with a constant yeast infection - once I started the HCl, it subsided a bit. Still haven't kicked it completely (yes, it's been FOUR years!!!), but I definitely have more good days than bad. Hope you get to feeling better!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks for the info everyone. I grabbed a bottle of something at the health food store last week and will try one of the suggested brands.

Cathey, thanks for the pep talk and encouragement. It really does help. I recently read that acid reflux, which I suffered with for years, can be caused by LOW acid as well as too much. I have noticed almost as soon as I went gluten-free that I felt less acidy and have cut the Prilosec to one every two or three days. I have osteoporosis and would like to completely eliminate the acid reducers.

I was put on strong acid reducers years ago, without being tested for anything. I had GERD which I now know was from eating gluten. Before DX I kept complaining of stomack pain and nausea. The Dr. told me to eat Tums. That was reducing my acid even more! :o

I stopped taking the acid reducer on my own when it was found I had a poorly functioning gallbladder. I was told I might want to consult with a surgeon to have it removed. Instead I looked up what could cause dyskinesia, and found ...acid reducers can cause it.

I think I've had low acid production all along? When the GI heard I went off the acid med instead of getting surgery he wasn't happy with me, but I haven't had reflux problems, and have had improvement with the gallbladder.

I hope you can go off the meds too.

IrishHeart Veteran

Custom Probiotics offers a multi-strain powder that worked well for me. (I had NO detectable good bacteria in my gut :o when I was tested at DX and this probiotic powder helped put me "straight". :) )

I also switch up from time to time and use Culturelle (the non dairy ones) as my GI doctor suggested them. They are less-expensive, portable and contain the lactobacillis GG strain. There are various studies to support this strain as being beneficial.

Just some suggestions!

FWIW, my long-time GERD and IBS (treated for 12 years with all kinds of prescription acid-reducers and meds and swigging maalox and eating TUMS like candy) has disappeared since DX and being gluten free for a year. I was BURNING from my mouth/tongue--down through my entire GI tract---right to my rectum. I am not kidding. But it is gone now. My Mom too--went gluten-free after my DX and she is off all GERD meds. Feels great!

It takes time, but the GI tract can heal.

Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...
greeneyes Newbie

Also, I saw someone else on here recommend Threelac...it is not gluten-free. I did not know this at the time and consumed it and it put me in bed for about 6 hours with overwhelming fatigue. I contacted the site I bought it from and they confirmed that it has 10ppm gluten in it, but apparently that is too much for me! Luckily they have a money back guarantee. :)

Skylark Collaborator

Also, I saw someone else on here recommend Threelac...it is not gluten-free. I did not know this at the time and consumed it and it put me in bed for about 6 hours with overwhelming fatigue. I contacted the site I bought it from and they confirmed that it has 10ppm gluten in it, but apparently that is too much for me! Luckily they have a money back guarantee. :)

Can you please provide more information? GHT lists 30 ppm casein in Threelac and Fivelac but there is no suggestion that there would be gluten.

Edited to add: Ack. I just wrote GHT (the manufacturer) and got a super-fast response.

Thank you for your email. The Threelac and Fivelac do contain a small amount of gluten. The Threelac contains less than 30ppm and the Fivelac contains less than 20ppm. I hope this information helps and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Flav Newbie

My GI doctor put me on VS-3. I dont know for sure how well it is working, but i guess it seems to help (?)

LuckyAtlas84 Apprentice

I decided to buy probotic supplement out of whim.

I bought Culturelle tonight and I was going to ask about it. Lucky, i found this thread so does that mean i have made right choice on pick this item? I hasnt seen my doctor yet but i dont think I will go in for testing and all for now. Money is tight nowdays and I am try to take different path and jsut go for it. i will try to take this supplement to help to stop be bloating which i have been feeling for awhile.

or i should have to see doctor before even take probotic on my own?

please let me know. I am not take any of culturelle until if this is right kind of probotic to take etc. I rather to know if it is right kind or if it is not i would take it back to store get money back.

IrishHeart Veteran

I decided to buy probotic supplement out of whim.

I bought Culturelle tonight and I was going to ask about it. Lucky, i found this thread so does that mean i have made right choice on pick this item? I hasnt seen my doctor yet but i dont think I will go in for testing and all for now.

or i should have to see doctor before even take probotic on my own?

Probiotics can't hurt you, only help you. :)

However, keep in mind that anything we suggest on the site is not intended to be medical advice. If you have not yet seen a doctor for your various gastrointestinal symptoms, maybe you should.

We have no idea what may be causing the bloating in you.

Best wishes,

IH

LuckyAtlas84 Apprentice

irishheart,

yes, you are right. i am doing something about it very soon.

thank you!

IrishHeart Veteran

irishheart,

yes, you are right. i am doing something about it very soon.

thank you!

We want you to feel better! Keep us posted.

• 3 months later...
peacefirst Rookie

So Culturelle has just one strain of good bacteria? <_<

• 5 months later...
Opa3 Apprentice

I just started using MegaFlora Plus. It's labeled certified gluten-free. Also dairy free, soy free, non GMO, vegitarian and tested free of pesticides and herbicides.

Has 14 strains and with 50 billion CFU's. Does seem like a lot. ????

• 1 month later...
ESV Newbie

I just started using MegaFlora Plus. It's labeled certified gluten-free. Also dairy free, soy free, non GMO, vegitarian and tested free of pesticides and herbicides.

Has 14 strains and with 50 billion CFU's. Does seem like a lot. ????

My nutritionist told me to take a minimum of 50 billion. I was taking 100B for about a month. I took the Target Up & Up brand, but had a terrible digestive side effect with which I won't gross you all out, but I know the box did not say it's gluten-free, so I am looking for a new one. Cultrelle says it is dairy and gluten-free, so I think I'm going to try that one.

Opa3 Apprentice

My nutritionist told me to take a minimum of 50 billion. I was taking 100B for about a month. 

I don't have a nutritionist to date, so thanks for posting. I'll stay with my 50B brand for a while.

Archived