This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Means No Coffee?

moose07

moose07 Apprentice

Hey Everyone,

So I read this blog today that basically says a protien in coffee can cause the same harmful effects as gluten can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows anymore. I'm a little upset about it. :/

Here is the blog Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

We just had this discussion yesterday. It's rediculous. A brewed beverage has no or barely any protein, first. This is just some Internet doctors theory.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Hey Everyone,

So I read this blog today that basically says a protien in coffee can cause the same harmful effects as gluten can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows anymore. I'm a little upset about it. :/

Here is the blog Open Original Shared Link

I wouldn't stop that morning cup of coffee just yet. :)

And you know how people say to us "I would DIE if I couldn't eat bread!" and we reply (to ourselves) "no you wouldn't." Well... seriously...I would DIE without my morning coffee. :P

(Go ahead, think to yourself "no you wouldn't." But I'm telling you that yes I would!) :lol:

JustNana Apprentice

Moose

Say what?

Monklady, I have written my will, gathered my kin and sharpened my hari-kari knife.

This will NOT stand.

Plus I ain't buyin' it. The whole gluten free community is so big now that we are a marketing force! (That's a good thing). If coffee had been discovered to be dangerous to celiacs it would make the 6:00 AND 11:00 news.

Let not your heart be troubled.

psawyer Proficient

If coffee had gluten I would have been dead years ago. :ph34r:

Even if it isn't "gluten," I consume enough of it that if it was problematic, I would certainly know by now. Enjoy your coffee!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I wouldn't stop that morning cup of coffee just yet. :)

And you know how people say to us "I would DIE if I couldn't eat bread!" and we reply (to ourselves) "no you wouldn't." Well... seriously...I would DIE without my morning coffee. :P

(Go ahead, think to yourself "no you wouldn't." But I'm telling you that yes I would!) :lol:

I'm with you! I can live without bread..but they better not try to take my morning coffee away. :angry::ph34r:

JustNana Apprentice

Hey Bubba's mom

How's it goin?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hey Bubba's mom

How's it goin?

Goin' good as long as they don't try prying my coffee cup out of my hand! LOL :D

JustNana Apprentice

I read that goofy blog.

Sorry, but when they start saying they know what causes MS...blah blah blah - my BSometer sounds an alarm.

Are these sincere but gullible people or just trolls?

Ugh

OliviaB Newbie

I just found out I had Celiac Disease yesterday and can't have gluten. Then today I see the headline Celiacs Means No Coffee? Can you say heart attack?! Don't scare a newbie like that :P! I am so glad most disagree with that blog or I would be having a major melt-down right now!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I just found out I had Celiac Disease yesterday and can't have gluten. Then today I see the headline Celiacs Means No Coffee? Can you say heart attack?! Don't scare a newbie like that :P! I am so glad most disagree with that blog or I would be having a major melt-down right now!

I suggest not taking gluten-free advice from the general public (this board is not the general public).

My FIL thought I potatoes had gluten in them, and cookies didn't....and some people think all cheese has gluten in it...

So, my point is, get used to heart attacks. And get used to hearing some incredibly stupid, uninformed stuff.

And get used to laughing at people who "would die if they couldn't eat bread". I mean seriously, it's funny. I tried the polite smile a few times, but now I just give in and laugh. Obviously, they don't get it. But you will, soon. And if you don't, yet, deliver a nice frozen loaf of gluten-free bread to one of those idiots and watch their face. And then ask them if they could give it up or die.

But I digress...

larry mac Enthusiast

The first thing I do in a case like this (outlandish claim) is see what they're selling. It doesn't take long. Sarah the healthy home economist is selling product links and advertising.

"Please contact Sarah at thehealthyhomeeconomist.com for a Media Kit.

Please Note: The Healthy Home Economist is part of the Real Food Media online magazine. We have paid sponsors. Unfortunately, this precludes us from doing unpaid promotions or reviews for free product."

Ie, she doesn't talk about anything she's not getting paid for.

The exciting and important news about a so-called coffee/gluten connection was revealed to her at a paleofx12 conference ( an alternative health and nutrition "disipline" based on evolutionary study (or somesuch) where she saw dr. david clark speak. He's not really a doctor, he's a chiropractor. Thus the titles of functional this and functional that in his bio. He's also selling stuff. Books and whatnot.

There's always people out there trying to make a living duping the gullible.

Try not to be the gullible!

best regards, lm

JustNana Apprentice

Olivia,

I swear the people on this site have heard and seen it all...ignorant public, thoughtless friends and family, even dumbazz doctors. They are skeptical but open minded. You are Sooooo lucky you found this forum. It is THE best forum I have ever read, bar none.

dani nero Community Regular

I'm gonna give the previous posts some serious reinforcements. I've never gotten any information off this forum that was harmful. Without the experience of the people here I would have still been lost and itching my skin into oblivion.

lynnelise Apprentice

I had a friend who is on the paleo diet send me a link to this article. She seemed kind of offended that I didn't trust it. Honestly the terms "functional neurologist and functional endocrinologist" immediately raised a red flag.

I used to think I had some sort of reaction to coffee, not at all similar to my gluten reaction though. I would get tingly lips, tongue, and gums! I was drinking coffee with almond milk daily at this time. I ditched the almond milk and have had no issues. I drink coffee with milk or soy frequently!

JustNana Apprentice

Hey Moose! YooooHooooo....

Where IS that oh so concerned poster? Drop in. Write a goofy inflammatory post. Run.

Harumph!

dani nero

I have DH too. I've already seen some improvement. I would love to hear your story. Maybe over a nice gluten-free snack and a BIG CUP of COFFEE. :-)

moose07 Apprentice

Hey Moose! YooooHooooo....

Where IS that oh so concerned poster? Drop in. Write a goofy inflammatory post. Run.

Harumph!

dani nero

I have DH too. I've already seen some improvement. I would love to hear your story. Maybe over a nice gluten-free snack and a BIG CUP of COFFEE. :-)

Sorry that I don't spend my entire life on this board. Did you actually read what I wrote? I was asking if anyone else had heard of this notion. I never said I believed it.

JustNana Apprentice

No need to apologize.

:-)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No need to apologize.

:-)

At least not on the OP's end.

IrishHeart Veteran

We just had this discussion yesterday. It's rediculous. A brewed beverage has no or barely any protein, first. This is just some Internet doctors theory.

Hi Moose,

Please re-read the other thread and see what we all think of this "theory". :rolleyes:

Honestly, none of us see any reason why you should worry about coffee. Okee dokee?!

Best wishes,

IH

JustNana Apprentice

Moose

I have sent you a private message, but want to publically apologize to you for my rude behavior. I completely misread the intent behind your thread. I was disrespectful and totally out of line. I have fought a tendency to be mouthy and judgmental for years and as you see I am not always successful.

This was the worst place to exhibit that ugly trait and I am truly sorry.

moose07 Apprentice

JustNana,

Thanks for the apology.

Everyone else, thanks for the adivce. I'm glad other people on here are good at researching all this stuff.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Remember my post about new celiac pain a couple of days ago, even though I'm entirely glutenfree? With me it IS the coffee. I can not have coffee or I'm getting my old celiac pains.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Remember my post about new celiac pain a couple of days ago, even though I'm entirely glutenfree? With me it IS the coffee. I can not have coffee or I'm getting my old celiac pains.

Well, I'm not a doctor, but I would say that probably you're getting the pains from the coffee itself -- i.e., the caffeine, or the acid, or whatever else is in coffee. Not from gluten, which is not in coffee. Lots of people who have "stomach trouble" (as the doctors like to call any number of things) cannot drink coffee.

My entirely unmedical opinion is that all sorts of things bother us while we're healing, and that it can take a long time. I was doing okay with milk, then got glutened (through my own stupidity), and then couldn't have cereal with milk for the next week or so.

Anyway, just my thoughts. :)

cougie23 Explorer

Hook me up with an IV...LOL! :lol:

But seriously...The fact that my INSTANT NESCAFE FOLGERS CHOICE felt it nessasery to put gluten free on the lable for my INSTANT coffee, made me wonder if maybe OTHER instant coffees might have glutten as a binder/emulfifier to hold those lovely little crystals together! Hell even shampoo isn't safe...I tryied NEXUS and had a HORRIBLE reaction...my son looked at the lable, and said...you know mom...this has wheat in it! GASP! :ph34r:

Just goes to show...READ THOSE LABLES!

( and contrary to befief...you don't HAVE to ingest the shampoo to react to it...I'm living proof!I got sick to my stomache,naushous,dizzy and my hair went limp and oily...not to mention my whole body was ITCHY!!!)But thats another thread! :ph34r::D

They BETTER NOT MESS WITH MY COFFEE!!! :DB)

Archived