This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh & Probiotics - Sals Or Iodine

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

Tart indeed! :P

I added a bit of stevia to it. Otherwise, it is just like sour cream to me. :lol: :lol: Good on taters!

Mango is one of my favorite fruits EVER. I ate so many of them in FLa last month (along with other sals )and I may have overloaded my system. When I get glutened ---or overdo the sals, etc.-- I BURN in my skin. From head to toe--a deep radiating burning sensation no one could explain to me. (until my DX) It's horrible.

You guys get itchy and scabby. I get itchy and oozey little sores on my scalp and this insanely intense burning in my skin --so bad I could not wear clothing at times. It made my life living hell. I had it for nearly 4 years until it subsided. I asked the doc about this and he said it is just like a pre-cursor to the blistering. The derma layers are affected, but I do not erupt. I hate the burning....ARRGH!!

So, I feel for you guys with DH; I really do. :(

BTW

I think you may notice....the sals websites are never the same :rolleyes: in their lists of high-low foods.

YUK. Don't like the sound of that burning skin! Sounds a lot like getting a really, really bad sunburn. Floridian here. Grew up eating mangos off the tree. Love them! I might not be able to resist a spoonful of the mango flavor. I get the itchy blister, which turns to oozy sores on my scalp & then finally, eventually, they get scabby, oozy, itchy, burning. Takes 4 -5 weeks for them to resolve. I agree, yours is precursor if not the real thing!

Yes, I've noticed the diff. in the sals websites. Hard to make a call sometimes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirmingitch Veteran

Glad you found some yogurt that will work! For what it's worth, Failsafe diet allows vanilla flavor. It also allows natural maple syrup. I bet that would take the edge off plain yogurt. I like plain Fage better than Chobani. Grab it if you ever see it becasue it's really mild and good.

Looks like I'll be eating a lot of vanilla yogurt then. Thanks! I've never cared for maple --- I know -- weird --- but I may just have to learn to like it. You know, I was so excited to find the Chobani that I didn't even look any farther. I will look & see if I can find Fage. Thanks Skylark.

IrishHeart Veteran

YUK. Don't like the sound of that burning skin! Sounds a lot like getting a really, really bad sunburn. Floridian here. Grew up eating mangos off the tree. Love them! I might not be able to resist a spoonful of the mango flavor. I get the itchy blister, which turns to oozy sores on my scalp & then finally, eventually, they get scabby, oozy, itchy, burning. Takes 4 -5 weeks for them to resolve. I agree, yours is precursor if not the real thing!

Yes, I've noticed the diff. in the sals websites. Hard to make a call sometimes.

The burning nearly drove me mad. It was exactly like a bad sunburn--that is how I described it to everyone! I felt like I had hot liquid running through my blood and my skin and scalp were bright red and peeling. It was really weird. It has calmed down a LOT.

But, now, if I eat too many sals, histamine-type foods, amines, sulfites, MSG, food additives, I get burny all over again, my eyes swell, I get migraines and I feel like I am a stuffed sausage. If I get CCEd, it is worse :blink: I tried explaining all this to dozens of medical professionals, but they just looked at me like I was nuts.

The only one who believed me was my NEW wonderful GI doc. He said without question, "That is inflammation from the celiac/gluten and it affects your skin as well. It will die down in time."

I cried because, finally....it all made sense.

Lucky you! Florida. I was just there last month. :) Our first vacation in 5 years. It was our "victory vacation"--me rising up and coming back from the dead. :)

squirmingitch Veteran

The burning nearly drove me mad. It was exactly like a bad sunburn--that is how I described it to everyone! I felt like I had hot liquid running through my blood and my skin and scalp were bright red and peeling. It was really weird. It has calmed down a LOT.

But, now, if I eat too many sals, histamine-type foods, amines, sulfites, MSG, food additives, I get burny all over again, my eyes swell, I get migraines and I feel like I am a stuffed sausage. If I get CCEd, it is worse :blink: I tried explaining all this to dozens of medical professionals, but they just looked at me like I was nuts.

The only one who believed me was my NEW wonderful GI doc. He said without question, "That is inflammation from the celiac/gluten and it affects your skin as well. It will die down in time."

I cried because, finally....it all made sense.

Lucky you! Florida. I was just there last month. :) Our first vacation in 5 years. It was our "victory vacation"--me rising up and coming back from the dead. :)

What an appropriate term "Victory Vacation". Brings tears to my eyes.

IrishHeart Veteran

What an appropriate term "Victory Vacation". Brings tears to my eyes.

Yeah, we cried, too--for joy...as I walked on the beach. At one point, I could not walk the length of my driveway or get in/out of the shower without assistance. I had such extreme exhaustion from anemia, shortness of breath, vertigo, ataxia and horrid joint, nerve and muscle pain from loss of muscle mass. I was told to get a scooter, take medications, live with it. I refused. I knew there had to be an answer for the dozens of symptoms that had evolved.

Never say die, squirmy girl! ;)

Healing happens.

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh, I know. Remember, I come from a line of Dutch people & who is more stubborn than Dutch? The people who were stubborn enough to build dykes capable of holding back the North Sea. The North Sea which is feared by the most experienced sea captains. The North Sea which is vicious & mighty & has a strength of untold proportions. These people hold it back & steal land from the mighty sea.

IrishHeart Veteran

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Warrior princesses, one and all. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran
wink.gif
Di2011 Enthusiast

You girls are adorable!

I'd love to hear what you guys eat and cook. The sal/iodine is so restrictive so maybe you can give me some inspiration??

squirmingitch Veteran

Here's what I'm eating Diane ---- about half way down the page. And I might add that the milk & cheese I'm eating is from a local dairy & has less iodine than anything I can get at the store.

http://www.celiac.co...ed/page__st__75

IrishHeart Veteran

Here's what I'm eating

SQIRMY GIRL!!!

Wanted to tell you!! Alex told us about soy free mayonnaise on some thread? (which I can't find because I have my hands in about 3 or 4 dozen threads and I'm all over the place :lol: ) and hubs found it at the supermarket!

I have made my own mayo, but I don't wanna anymore! I want Hellmann's, dammit!!. :lol: :lol:

Well, Hellmann's (aka Best Foods) makes a canola oil mayo. NO SOYBEAN OIL! (they make an EVOO one too, I hear)

and she was not kidding---it's almost the same as regular mayo. I was skeptical, because I tried the Spectrum canola oil mayo--and I do NOT like that taste at all. Blech!!!!

But, this tasted pretty darn good!!

I am having an egg salad sammy today!!! yaaaay!!

Geesh, the littlest things make IH happy.... :)

If you cannot find it down there, tell me and I will ship you some. (Not kidding, I've done it before. No one should be deprived!)

squirmingitch Veteran

LOL! You're so sweeeeeeet. I have it on my grocery list for Monday & will look for it. If I can't find it around town then I may just take you up on your offer to ship me some.biggrin.gif

Ohhhhhhh, egg salad sandwich. Ohhhhhhhhh....... Soon, very soon I will do it. Hum. Maybe for my after dinner snack tonight!

And yeh, I don't want to make my own Mayo either. Biggest problem is the shelf life of it. But I did grow up with us making Mayo fairly often & it was YUMMY! But when we didn't make it ---- HELLMAN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does EVOO mean?

Enjoy your egg salad sammy!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif It's the little things that make us happiest right? Right!

IrishHeart Veteran

What does EVOO mean?

extra virgin olive oil (sorry, I get lazy) :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

No, no not lazy. I like learning the shortcut talk. I had an idea it was something to do with olive oil but couldn't think it out.

Hum. My egg salad sammy tonight will have to be with the crappy mayo with soy in it so I'd have to be very stingy ---- think I'll wait for Monday. It'll be that much better then.

dani nero Community Regular

I should have read this thread a long time ago :-O

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh Dani, I thought you had. I thought I remembered you posting in it. I must be confused.How are you doing?

IrishHeart Veteran

No, no not lazy. I like learning the shortcut talk. I had an idea it was something to do with olive oil but couldn't think it out.

Hum. My egg salad sammy tonight will have to be with the crappy mayo with soy in it so I'd have to be very stingy ---- think I'll wait for Monday. It'll be that much better then.

Let's do a "taste test review " then :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

I could do that.smile.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

I could do that.smile.gif

you are a most agreeable girl.

:lol:

After so many conversations with you now, miss squirmy, I am thinking it may be best that you and I do NOT live too near each other? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have this feeling we could get into some trouble together. B)

....just sayin

squirmingitch Veteran

Like when we get old & decrepit & get sent to nursing homes? We could plan "break outs". I'd love it!laugh.gif

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh! And wouldn't we just cause a stir about the food & cc issues & true gluten-free eating? We'd be breaking into the kitchens at night & making things right.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh honey, by the time we are old, celiacs and gluten-freebies everywhere will have taken over and be ruling the world! No worries.

No nursing home can hold me....do they make nursing home RVs??

squirmingitch Veteran

Nursing home RV's indeed! Funny girl.laugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

Nursing home RV's indeed! Funny girl.laugh.gif

:lol:

gotta laugh, hon

or roll over and die

I pick laugh

squirmingitch Veteran

Me too.

Archived