This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long After Eating Gluten Do Symptoms Appear?

Mrs. M.

Mrs. M. Apprentice

Hi-

I am relatively new to the world of celiac disease (diagnosed 2 months ago and following gluten-free diet since then). Yesterday I had significant stomach cramping starting in the early afternoon and I am trying to figure out what I ate that caused the problem. I think all of my food yesterday was safe, so I am wondering whether this could have been a reaction to something I ate the night before (restaurant food that I'm not sure about). How long after eating a gluten-containing food does it take before you feel symptoms? Can it be immediate? Or can it take as long as 12 hours? Thanks for feedback!

And, the food I'm questioning is El Torito veggie fajitas. Does anyone happen to know whether these contain gluten?

thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jessimarie3 Rookie

Hi-

I am relatively new to the world of celiac disease (diagnosed 2 months ago and following gluten-free diet since then). Yesterday I had significant stomach cramping starting in the early afternoon and I am trying to figure out what I ate that caused the problem. I think all of my food yesterday was safe, so I am wondering whether this could have been a reaction to something I ate the night before (restaurant food that I'm not sure about). How long after eating a gluten-containing food does it take before you feel symptoms? Can it be immediate? Or can it take as long as 12 hours? Thanks for feedback!

And, the food I'm questioning is El Torito veggie fajitas. Does anyone happen to know whether these contain gluten?

thanks!!

Hello,

I think everyone has a different "reaction time." sometimes I will get sick hours or a day after I eat gluten. I have a professor with celiacs and if he eats gluten he said he gets sick a half hour after eating and will be sick for a week.

Hope this helps!

Jessica

Adalaide Mentor

Personally I find myself locked in the bathroom within about an hour. Everyone is different though so you may have a challenge pinning down the culprit. I'm not familiar wtih where you ate, but aren't fajitas usually made with flour tortillas?

Mrs. M. Apprentice

they were corn tortillas (I know enough to request them instead of flour)... but afterward I realized the tortilla chips could have been contaminated if the restaurant also makes tostada shells.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I find most Mexican restaurants are blessings as well as curses.

The food should be gluten-free, but isn't because of flour in sauces and shared fryers (frying flour tortilla products).

You need to ask El Torito about the ingredients, if you haven't already. Also, did you eat chips or drink anything? Cheap margaritas (ones made with the stuff in a tub) has yielded mixed answers to me: mostly they don't know what's in it, therefore I pass. Upgrade to one made with fresh fruit juice.

As an example here's what I did at my favorite Mexican joint- i asked the manager and waiter for advice on what to order. Ends up, I have to ditch rice and anything with a sauce. No chips (shared fryer). I snuck Tostitos in last week :). So far I've been ok the two times I've had the same entree, but I know eventually I'll get cc'd because they are not celiac savvy and they are cooks, not trained chefs (so im assuming my chance of communicating a clear understanding of cc is pretty low).

Skylark Collaborator

I've had delays as long as 48 hours.

jess-gf Explorer

I've had different reaction times that seem random. Sometimes it's immediate, and sometimes it's 6-8 hours later.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lori2 Contributor

It takes three days for my symptoms to appear. Example: Christmas Eve(Saturday) we ate at 8pm. My diarrhea and nausea started on Tuesday night at 9pm.

lovegrov Collaborator

Three hours for me if it's a serious glutening.

richard

kittty Contributor

I found out recently that lots of restaurants use soy sauce to season grilled vegetables - even non-Chinese restaurants. That could have been the case with your fajitas. I avoid any seasoned veggies now unless I'm sure.

Archived