This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heads Up About In-N-Out

BelovedchildofJC

BelovedchildofJC Newbie

Just wanted to let you all know that after a few trial and error attempts at our local in-n-out burger (we were SURE my husband was getting mild cc somehow) we finally approached the manager about our suspicions. As always they were absolutely wonderful with customer service and were very concerned about the fact that something was wrong with their "allergy prep".

Turns out our suspicion was correct and their GRILLED ONIONS are scooped with the same spatula that turns the buns. Everything else is prepared separately and carefully with an eye to avoiding cc. Just that one small thing was missed.

Thankfully my husbands reaction has just been mild quease.

They were very apologetic and are going to fix the issue.

So just a heads up for any of you who are suspecting cc at in-n-out that could be the culprit but if you let them know they will fix it!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

That's a common issue at most In-n-Outs, btw. You have to ask.

And they grill them (usually) on a grill that has grilled buns.

It's easier some days just to skip the grilled onions but they do make a protein style burger better...

If you ask them they will clean the grill, and they will tell you it takes a few minutes longer; however, that's a small price to pay. Some days I feel guilty if it's busy, though.

Sigh.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Yup, I found this out too. As I waited in the drive-thru line, my one and only time there, I saw MY "protein style" burger being scooped by the same spatula as the buns (and maybe the onions?).

I had a brief moment of weakness and said "it'll be ok". I tossed the burger before I left the parking lot. Some things are just not worth it. I haven't been back and didn't feel like educating once again...I was over it that day.

Adalaide Mentor

If it's busy? I wish there were moments my local In-N-Out wasn't busy. It is the only one in the area and has been open for just over 2 years. There has never been a time I've driven by that there weren't cars in the drive through, which includes times like 3 in the morning. By now people who eat there should just expect a wait, I won't feel guilty about making them take an extra minute for me.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If it's busy? I wish there were moments my local In-N-Out wasn't busy. It is the only one in the area and has been open for just over 2 years. There has never been a time I've driven by that there weren't cars in the drive through, which includes times like 3 in the morning. By now people who eat there should just expect a wait, I won't feel guilty about making them take an extra minute for me.

There's busy and there's busy. Lunch time is busy. A bus of kids is busy. We have several around us do it lightens the load.

And busy is the worst time for gluten-free anyway. Any place is more likely to make a mistake.

• 2 months later...
SmnthMllrX Newbie

I never ate from in and out anymore just because I got sick all the time from it and I didn't know why. Now I know why. Thank you so much for this information.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I eat there often and have never gotten sick. You have specifiy 'allergy' when ordering regardless of protein style, etc. so they know to prep it differently. The one I visit prepares the allergy orders in a seperate part of the restaurant. I also never order the onions for the reasons mentioned here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
MichelleD Newbie

I have had a great experience at the In-N-Out in AZ. I order a protein style allergy burger with raw onions. They change gloves and it comes in a seperate tray from my kids food. The 1st time I ordered there the casher asked me if my protein style was for an allergy which is how I know to order it that way. One of the few places I don't get sick.

Archived