This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Blood Tests If I'm Already gluten-free?

erikamarie87

Skylark Collaborator

Skylark, quick question by eating Lamb (or turkey), rice, and pears how is this a classic allergy eliminator? Would you suggest eating just these 3 things for some time???...I guess I'm a little confused?..Thanks again for your help :)

They are foods that people are not commonly allergic to. Lamb is the least common allergy, but turkey allergy is relatively uncommon and it's a lot cheaper if the cost of lamb is an issue. If you suspect fructose intolerance (bloating, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, reflux) you might eat lettuce instead of the pears.

Eat only those foods for at least a week, if things start to improve then stay on them until you get a few good days in a row. It took me a week to start to feel better, two weeks to where my stomach had really settled down. Then you can start to introduce new foods one at a time. You add the food, eating a few servings of it over a day or two and watch at least 48 hours for a reaction. If that goes OK, add another. Keep a diary as you go in case something gets confusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

erikamarie87 Newbie

They are foods that people are not commonly allergic to. Lamb is the least common allergy, but turkey allergy is relatively uncommon and it's a lot cheaper if the cost of lamb is an issue. If you suspect fructose intolerance (bloating, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, reflux) you might eat lettuce instead of the pears.

Eat only those foods for at least a week, if things start to improve then stay on them until you get a few good days in a row. It took me a week to start to feel better, two weeks to where my stomach had really settled down. Then you can start to introduce new foods one at a time. You add the food, eating a few servings of it over a day or two and watch at least 48 hours for a reaction. If that goes OK, add another. Keep a diary as you go in case something gets confusing.

Wow thanks for the advice! :D Would you suggest doing this before going on the GAPS or SCD or would it be pointless then?...My only concern is I feel I need to heal my gut...What's your take on this? I guess I'm confused because what if I'm intolerant to the foods suggested on these diets? How would I know if the diet was ever truly working or not if I could possibly be intolerant to a food listed on the diet but yet didn't know?...I guess I just don't know where to start?...I've been keeping a food journal and seem to have found I'm intolerant to corn :/ ...that's a tricky one I think...I'm also finding that soy is a problem and I'm already lactose intolerant. So if this is the case than what would I put in place of these(for example)if called for on the diet?..Would the diet still be affective if I was to change it up a bit?...I was reading on the SCD that the foods that are legal are for the reason being the chemical makeup of them together, etc was why the diet is so effective with the healing process. Would it be safe to say if I went on the Gaps for instance and healed my gut that I wouldn't be as intolerant to many of the foods I'm finding I am? I feel like I need some sort of guidance and starting point to move along with my healing process. If you could give me any and all the advice you could that would be WONDERFUL as I think you're very intelligent on this matter and I can sense your trustworthiness and honesty. ;) You've been such a Great Help I can't thank you enough!! Also I get a better understanding when I have a book in front of me so I can refer to it when needed. Do you suggest any that would help? I have "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", and am currently looking at ordering the "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" as well as the "Management Of Celiac Disease by Sidney Valentine Haas...but if I should stick to the GAPS diet I would like to find some others as well that would be of much help. I know I'm asking a lot here. :/ Thanks again!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you suspect you may have multiple intolerances you could see an allergist who will help you with a starting point for an elimination diet. Not all allergists deal with intolerances so do ask before you make an appointment. Typically the doctor will take a detailed history of all the foods you usually eat and then give you a starting point with about 5 foods that will give you adaquate nutrition and calories. My allergist was the one who pinpointed celiac and then referred me back to my clueless GI for confirmation. I hope you are feeling better really soon.

erikamarie87 Newbie

If you suspect you may have multiple intolerances you could see an allergist who will help you with a starting point for an elimination diet. Not all allergists deal with intolerances so do ask before you make an appointment. Typically the doctor will take a detailed history of all the foods you usually eat and then give you a starting point with about 5 foods that will give you adaquate nutrition and calories. My allergist was the one who pinpointed celiac and then referred me back to my clueless GI for confirmation. I hope you are feeling better really soon.

Thanks for your input :) I seen an allergist about 4 years ago and they tested me for EVERY food allergy and of course they all came back normal but as you said they don't all deal with food intolerance's. I'm skeptical even trying to go somewhere else b/c ALL docs seem to think it's all in my head! I'm sooooo tired of it! :( I recently went to my doc for my Fatigue and she basically said she couldn't do anything about it so referred me to a GI, who I see on the 16th. Do you have any suggestions as far as tests he could perform as far as looking at the actually damage to my gut or if I'm absorbing nutrients, minerals correctly? All my blood tests seem to be 'normal' as they say... <_<

fannyarbuckle Newbie

I have a question about testing. 2 years ago I tested positve, according to my doctor, with a gluten intolerance. This week i went in with an order to have a celiac panel. Today the dr. said that the results were negetive but he wants me on allergy serum because I tested positive to skin test to garlic and apricot. The test results from what I can read- I asked for a copy- Shows only the IG antibody, IgA 3.26 and then again -IgA 186. I have a sister who was diagnosed by biopsy 20 years ago and another sister diagnosed by blood and biopsy 2 weeks ago.

I definitely feel better on a gluten free diet. I have IBS (diarrhea and constipation, cramping, nausea, fatigue and headaches and had gallbladder removed due to a stone). I am hypothyroid and have tested positive for arthritis. I have not been to a gasto or an enterologist, but have appointments at the end of the month. Should I bother? There is a family history of thyroid, psoriasis, celiac, colon cancer, diverticulits, diverticulosis, stomach ulcers and gallbladder disease. I ate gluten for about 5 days before the last blood test and just a little off and on for the months prior. Not everyday but a little on the weekends. Did that skew the test? The test I took 2 years ago also was done right after I had been avoiding gluten for awhile. I am so confused. Someone even said it was in my head!

mushroom Proficient

I have a question about testing. 2 years ago I tested positve, according to my doctor, with a gluten intolerance. This week i went in with an order to have a celiac panel. Today the dr. said that the results were negetive but he wants me on allergy serum because I tested positive to skin test to garlic and apricot. The test results from what I can read- I asked for a copy- Shows only the IG antibody, IgA 3.26 and then again -IgA 186. I have a sister who was diagnosed by biopsy 20 years ago and another sister diagnosed by blood and biopsy 2 weeks ago.

I definitely feel better on a gluten free diet. I have IBS (diarrhea and constipation, cramping, nausea, fatigue and headaches and had gallbladder removed due to a stone). I am hypothyroid and have tested positive for arthritis. I have not been to a gasto or an enterologist, but have appointments at the end of the month. Should I bother? There is a family history of thyroid, psoriasis, celiac, colon cancer, diverticulits, diverticulosis, stomach ulcers and gallbladder disease. I ate gluten for about 5 days before the last blood test and just a little off and on for the months prior. Not everyday but a little on the weekends. Did that skew the test? The test I took 2 years ago also was done right after I had been avoiding gluten for awhile. I am so confused. Someone even said it was in my head!

Hon, I am sure it is not in your head. You have to be eating a full gluten diet for celiac testing to be reliable. And it has to be continuous for at least two months, preferably three, the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread a day. You body only makes antibodies when exposed to gluten, and the blood test is searching for antibodies, so no gluten = no antibodies and negative results.

With your family history, and personal history of GI symptoms, fatigue, headaches, gallbladder problems, hypothyroid, arthritis,psoriasis, I would guess you are most definitely celiac. But you cannot prove it if you were not eating gluten continuously and in sufficient quantity for long enough When you say you were tested positive for gluten intolerance two years ago, were you diagnosed as celiac? Because as of now there is no specific testing for gluten intolerance - they are working on it. If you were diagnosed as not being able to eat gluten two years ago, nothing has changed: you are still unable to eat gluten and you need no more testing.

And what on earth is "allergy serum"??? Never heard of it. Can you be more specific what he is asking you to take? Because the only cure for gluten intolerance is not to eat gluten. Period. .

Archived