This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems Tolerating Lactaid Tablet?

mamaupupup

mamaupupup Contributor

Hi all,

Quick question for the lactose-free crowd...has anyone had problems tolerating the Lactaid tablet itself? Our twin who is Celiac and has an incredibly low lactase score seems to be having more stomach pains taking the Lactaid tablet and eating dairy. In fact, she has twice thrown up after the combo of Lactaid tablet and ice cream.

Our plan is to go with lactose free milk/ice creams, etc for now. We are considering taking her off dairy for some time, although we aren't sure what the boundaries are in terms of how to define dairy...etc.

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

You are talking a child so this might not apply. I could not eat dairy and I did try to lactose enzymes. I found the one that you take prior to eating dairy simply did not work for me. The one that you took daily did as long as I took 2 a day. Is it possible to

hat it is not the lactose supplement that is making her sick but that it is not enough and it is causing hr to be sick from dairy?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is possible that she is reacting to casien and if that is the case lactaid tablets would not help. You may want to drop all dairy for a bit, watch out for casien on labels of 'dairy free' items, and see if that helps.

GFinDC Veteran

Make sure the lactaid tablets are gluten-free. Not all of them are.

tom Contributor

I don't think she's throwing up from the tablet.

If I were her I'd want to try true dairy-free for a couple weeks at a minimum. (Somehow casein can be in things called non-dairy :wacko: like powdered coffee non-dairy creamer)

Also, it could make sense if an "incredibly low lactase score" correlates to more villi damage indicating a more advanced case which could have a higher probability of celiac-related casein issues. Just spitballin' here.

I don't bet on much, but I'd bet she wouldn't've thrown up if she had the tablet w/out the ice cream.

mamaupupup Contributor

Thanks Tom!

Yes, I could do the test "Here's a tablet, let's see how you do!"

And, yes, we are about to go dairy free. Newbie question: is there a difference between dairy free and casein free?

And, here are her disaccharidase scores as background:

Lactase 2.2 Abnormal <15

Sucrase 13.4 Abnormal <25

Maltase 56.8 Abnormal <100

Palatinase 2.2 Abnormal <5

Thanks for the help and input!

BTW, this is a kiddo who has vomited a total of 5x in her entire life (she's 5.5) so I'm especially eager to figure it out!

mamaupupup Contributor

I just dug up my daughter's allergy testing: her Casein IgE came back negative. Does that mean she is not casein intolerant?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ninja Contributor

IgE testing does not test for intolerances. The IgE antibodies are involved in "true" allergies (histamine response(s)

mamaupupup Contributor

Thanks Laura--that's a BIG help!

I "tested" my little Lactaid puker today...I took her to McDonald's for a vanilla milkshake and didn't give her a Lactaid tablet. No vomit. Hmmm. No belly ache, no bloating, crazy!

Not sure I'm going to test the Lactaid tablet only...I'd have to be out in the backyard with her for an afternoon to be prepped for that one!

runnergirl88 Newbie

I know a few people who have become immune to the lactaid pill, but have found great constant relief from something called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula. I am lactose intolerant as well and found these work nicely and are much more convenient.My friend suffers from sever lactose intolerant and he swears by it!

Hope this helps! I attached a link to show you what it looks like:

Open Original Shared Link

Stay strong! Feel better :D

tom Contributor

I know a few people who have become immune to the lactaid pill, but have found great constant relief from something called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense Formula.

Open Original Shared Link

Curious about this & the phrase "become immune to the lactaid pill", I clicked the link. The pill is just lactase & a probiotic.

Most ppl w/ digestive issues should think about taking probiotics - or already be taking them, imho - whether lactose intolerant or not.

P.S. Thought it strange that the label http://www.digestiveadvantage.com/images/suppfacts-da-ldf.gif says "Contains Soy", though no ingredient looks suspect to this 5-yrs-soyfree celiac. Are they making maltodextrin from soy now?

Ninja Contributor

Thanks Laura--that's a BIG help!

I "tested" my little Lactaid puker today...I took her to McDonald's for a vanilla milkshake and didn't give her a Lactaid tablet. No vomit. Hmmm. No belly ache, no bloating, crazy!

Not sure I'm going to test the Lactaid tablet only...I'd have to be out in the backyard with her for an afternoon to be prepped for that one!

No problem!

Well that's good that she didn't have a negative reaction

Archived