This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Supplies Did You Replace?

Minette

Minette Contributor

My 6 year old daughter was given a "probable" celiac diagnosis based on bloodwood -- we have our first GI consult today. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next, assuming the diagnosis is confirmed.

I've read the articles about what kitchen stuff you need to replace (or buy a designated gluten-free one). I'm curious how far folks have actually gone with this. Is it always necessary to re-outfit the entire kitchen? I'm wondering particularly about the following big-ticket items:

- cast iron pan

- plastic food storage containers (not expensive per piece, but we have a ton of them and we usually buy the "good" ones)

- nonstick pancake griddle

- nonstick saute pan (which I use to make crepes)

- blender (has been used for crepe batter -- will there be gluten stuck in the blades?)

- stand mixer (similar question)

That's not even counting the mixing bowls, wooden spoons, rolling pin, colander, cutting boards, etc.

What do I go out and replace right away, versus waiting to see how sensitive my daughter turns out to be? Of course we'll do whatever's necessary, but on the other hand I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I don't have to. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Minette Contributor

Whoops, moderators, I didn't notice the word "recipes" in this forum title -- I thought it was a general cooking forum. Please feel free to move if there's a better place for this.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

First, don't go gluten-free til after the GI appt. in case they want to scope.

I replaced my colanders, cutting boards, I tossed most plastics because I use mostly glass now, I bought new nonstick skillets because I needed them, I kept my toaster because it's oven style. I replaced wooden spoons and reseasoned my iron skillets.

I use parchment paper on my cookie sheets...

IrishHeart Veteran

If you clean the non-stick griddle really well, then wipe it with vinegar and water, you should be okay. If you see obvious globs of batter, then you need to clean it more thoroughly. If it is scratched in any way, I'd dump it.

Beater blades --if scoured and run through the dishwasher --should be okay. Mine are.

It's anything that it POROUS or obviously scratched that is an issue.

What I donated/tossed and replaced:

PLASTIC colanders

WOODEN and PLASTIC UTENSILS

WOODEN and PLASTIC scratched CUTTING BOARDS

SCRATCHED non-stick pan

Seasoned pizza stones :(

TOASTER

BREAD machine :(

Seasoned WOK and WOK utensils

Springform baking pan and loaf pans

What I KEPT:

Glass cookware, loaf pans and storage containers

My KA stand mixer

My stainless steel utensils.

Electric mixer

Blender

My stainless steel cookware

These surfaces were easily cleaned and do not pose a problem.

I RETIRED my MOM's wooden rolling pin. I cannot use it, but I kept it for sentimental reasons. :) It's wrapped up.

I have a marble one, too. That one's okay.

I replaced the grill rack in my Weber Kettle, but I do that every summer anyway.

I use parchment paper on cookie sheets or a silpat mat.

IrishHeart Veteran

Here, read these articles about safe kitchens. :)

Open Original Shared Link

Mizzo Enthusiast

Replaced:

toaster

wooden/rubber spoons/spatulas

strainer & colanders

wooden butcher block knife holder

all scratched teflon pans

muffin pans

deeply scratched bakeware (if I could scrub it clean I did, and kept it)

tossed bakeware with details ( like fancy bundt pan )

wooden rolling pin

hand mixer

mini chopper

cutting boards

IrishHeart Veteran

Whoops, moderators, I didn't notice the word "recipes" in this forum title -- I thought it was a general cooking forum. Please feel free to move if there's a better place for this.

I think this is a good place for your thread! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

As I read through this I realize how I had scaled back my kitchen in my old house - it was very small and no storage. I simply didn't have a lot of things... what I had did double duty.

Anyway...things like muffin tins I kept but I always use liners (equivalent of parchment paper).

My only bundt pan probably does need to be replaced but since I don't use it I haven't bothered.

I kept my springform pans and just scrubbed them and put them through the dishwasher. Use a toothbrush to get down in the groove/lip. No problem so far.

I think I will eventually replace more baking items, but I'm glad I've waited...because I haven't baked very much and I've found I'd like to replace with specific types like smaller bundt pans (gluten-free baked goods to me, perform better smaller). I may buy specific cookie sheets, I may buy different sizes of springform pans because I find again, I like to miniaturize now.

So that's something to consider. Just replace what you use regularly and then replace as needed. I truly have made some different purchasing decisions based on how gluten-free baked good perform.

Adalaide Mentor

Cutting boards, everything wooden, cast iron cookware and scratched nonstick pans are automatically out. I don't use my plastic storage containers in the microwave, but if you do you'll want separate ones for your daughter because microwaving them damages the plastic. The blender I'm sure is fine, I'd be less worried about the blades and more worried about the gasket. As long as you pop that out and give it a good scrubbing it should be fine. Also with all of your plastic utensils, you'll want to make sure that none are damaged as they can be a great hiding place for gluten also.

Skylark Collaborator

I was a student and didn't replace much at all.

beat up wooden cutting board

cast iron skillet

seasoned wok because no matter how hard I scrubbed it still smelled of soy sauce

toaster

threw out a few microwave-damaged plastic containers that really should have gone long before

wooden spoons

That's about it. I didn't throw out any nonstick stuff. If it's in good condition and not scratched, how would anything stick to it? You're not supposed to use scratched nonstick stuff anyway. I did not throw out appliances either. I even cleaned up my bread machine and kept using it because there was no way I could afford a new one. I'm doing fine. :)

Archived