• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Popcorn - Gf, Or Not?

3 posts in this topic

I recently got gluttened and am trying to id the source. One possibility is from popcorn served at a local saloon (I live in Nevada) where my wife and I go to enjoy western music. They add a yellowish something to the corn before popping it, and I tried finding out what was in that, but the person who does the popping doesn't know and the yellowish something is not in its original container. I assumed it was salt and butter flavoring much like the movies use. Has anyone had a problem with commerical popcorn like this?

Thanks.

George

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

It can vary. You need to get ahold of the packaging and find out.

The flavoring could have had gluten in it, so it is possible that it was the popcorn that made you sick. Also, if they were serving "gluten" foods, than you could have got cross-contamination.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Donna Anderson

•  

• Topics

• Has he had a recent blood test for Celiac?  That would be where I would start. If it is still negative, I would look for other things, like a FODMAP issue.
    • My son (age 7, almost 8) has had GI issues for several years.  Almost 2 years ago (about a week after he turned 6), we had him tested for celiac and his blood test results were negative.  His test results were:  tTG IgA:  1; Immunoglobin A:  129.  I've read that false negative results do occur, but that typically it is an IgA deficiency that causes false negative tTg IgA results, and my son was not IgA deficient according to this blood test.  But his symptoms (some of which ebb and flow but which have been getting worse the last several months, include the following: --Complaints of tummy pain and nausea --Excess gas, bloating --Stools often look abnormal:  mucous in stool, often very bulky stools, gassy, explosive bowel movements, etc. --Extremely low BMI (He has always been below the 3rd percentile for weight, with height in the 50-75th percentile, but at his check-up in January (age 7.5), he fell off his height curve (weighed 42 pounds and measured 48.5 inches)  --Oral health issues:  He not infrequently complains of canker sores; At dentist visit a couple weeks ago, they discovered 4 cavities (This was the first time he allowed x-rays to be taken).   There may be some discoloration of his teeth as well, but I'm not 100% sure it the same kind of enamel defect I've read about.  I did not think to ask dentist about celiac at the time but I've since read about connections between oral health and celiac.  --weird blood test results:  I went back and looked at the blood tests that were taken 2 years ago, and it turns out some of the abnormal results can be linked to celiac.  For example:  Low cholesterol (Total Cholesterol was 114), which I read can be linked to malabsorption of fats caused by celiac; High Asbolute Eosinophils (result:  791; normal range is 15-600).  And Lo and behold, according to google, high eosinophils can be associated with celiac.  He also had low MPV results and high triglycerides.  Not sure what those mean.  Some of the abnormal results (like the eosinophils) are also linked to allergies (he has seasonal allergies), and to other auto-immune diseases -- we have a family history of ulcerative colitis so that is also a concern.  We tried a gluten fee diet for about a month several months ago, but I don't think it was ever 100% gluten free -- there were several times we were tripped up by school or after school snacks, and meals when traveling.  Prior to the time we tried the gluten-free diet, my son was not really complaining about his tummy troubles (they have ebbed and flowed --over the last several years, there have been period where sometimes 3-5 times a week he has bouts of nausea and pain, and months long periods with very few complaints).  At the time we tried a gluten-free diet, he was probably in one of the months long periods of feeling pretty good, few complaints.  My recollection is we dropped the gluten-free diet because we didn't see a big difference.   But my son recently told me he felt a little better on the gluten-free diet. I'm pretty sure the next step is to do the endoscopy/colonoscopy.  The GI doctor suggested this last year, given our family history of ulcerative colitis and unexplained symptoms, but we were hesitant to put him through this when, at the time, he was feeling pretty good.  But his symptoms have come roaring back the last several months, and at this point, we just want to find the answer.  We will plan to wait to restart a gluten-free diet until after the endoscopy.  So my questions: --Does anyone have experience with a false negative blood test result, particularly in children? --How bad is the endoscopy procedure?  What should we expect during the prep and after the procedure? --Any insight into what his symptoms mean?  
    • Once upon a time, bananas were thought by many doctors to possess tremendous healing properties. Bananas were used to help diabetics to use weight. Doctors told mothers to feed bananas to their infants starting at 4 weeks. And for a long time, the diet seemed to help people "recover" from celiac disease. Invented by Dr. Sidney Haas in 1924, the high-calorie, banana-based diet excluded starches, but included bananas, milk, cottage cheese, meat and vegetables. View the full article
    • You've opened up a great discussion here, peterfc.  Most illuminating.   I remember when I lived in Oz back in the 1980s there were three frozen custard outlets around Sydney.  I think, from memory, they only sold about three flavours - vanilla (plain), strawberry and chocolate.  But the ice cream was absolutely delicious.   I think ice cream made with a custard is a great way to enhance the nutritional value of the stuff - and possibly reduce the fat content to boot?  Brilliant.
    • You might want to be aware of higher iodine foods as well. For instance, noting if seafood makes the rash worse --- also carrageenan aka sea kelp aka sea weed & all the other names it goes by. Foods from the sea are very high in iodine. Iodine often makes the rash flare.
  • Upcoming Events