This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Microwave Popcorn

swittenauer

swittenauer Enthusiast

I really need some help this time. My husband would love nothing more than to have some popcorn tonight. I bought some Cousin Willie's Movie Theater Butter Microwave Popcorn. Anyone know if microwave popcorn is okay? The ingredients are as follows: Popcorn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, natural & aritifical flavors & beta carotene coloring. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I've never heard of that brand of popcorn. Do you have the Delphi list? I found it to be very helpful. I printed the whole list and then stapled each section. I filed each section into one of those folding type file thingys. I labeled each section so its very convenient. If I want to look for popcorn I just pull out the "snack foods" and just pick something off the list. I checked the list for Cousin Willy's but its not on there so I don't know if its gluten-free or not.

swittenauer Enthusiast

What about microwave popcorn in general?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yes, there are brands that are gluten-free. Here are some:

Act II

Jolly Time

Orville Redenbacher All variteies gluten-free except the caramel pour-over popcorn & Ultimate Theatre Style w/ BBQ Flavour pouch

I'm sure there are more...I just got these from the list right now.

mytummyhurts Contributor

You know what is really good for popcorn and is not that hard to do?

There's a microwave popcorn popper by Presto. It is a plastic bowl with a conductive base. It was about $15 dollars and you have to buy these little paper things to go in the bottom to make the popcorn pop, but they are not expensive and you can re-use them so they last a long time. You use kernels of popcorn and put it in for 3 minutes and put your own butter and salt on it. It makes it so you can have as much butter that you want, but not too much. After I started using it I noticed that regular microwave popcorn feels like it has a film on it. And any ingredient that starts with "partially hydrogenated" is really bad for you.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Nothing beats air-popped popcorn! :-) Poppers are around $15 at Target.

swittenauer Enthusiast

We really like microwave popcorn. I would assume that since several of the major brands are gluten free that this brand is also but I guess I'll get some Act II & wait to hear from our brand.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Lucy

I havn't seen a plain or just butter flavored popcorn that did contain gluten. I only do the microwave too. So easy and less clean up. I think it tastes BETTER than airpopped. Everyone has their own opinion.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Well, I prefer the taste of real butter to the powdery, slimy stuff.

elonwy Enthusiast

I do it the super-old fashioned way ( I grew up with no electricity so have some weird habits).

I take a large pot and put in one-two tablespoons olive oil, which is heart healthy and gives the popcorn a wonderful nutty flavor, heat the oil, put popcorn in, then shake vigorously over flame until the popping stops. Then I put on butter and salt, sometimes shredded cheese or parmesan, and sometimes Furikake (there are two types that are gluten-free) and sometimes all of them!

Of course I consider popcorn a complete meal, so there you have it.

When I'm feeling lazy I just pop it in the microwave (always ORville) and then add stuff.

I used to put in little rice cakes (Arare), but they have soy sauce on them so I can't have them anymore. :(

Elonwy

Guest Lucy

Thats how we made it growing up too, I had forgotten that. Thanks for bringing back so fond memories. It must have been before I was 7 or 8 , so many years ago.....it was such a treat. Then we got an air popper, then the microwave came around. I feel old now.

• 2 weeks later...
swittenauer Enthusiast

Well, still no response from Cousing Willie's. I guess it is safe to assume that the answer would be that it is full of gluten. Who knows? Anyway, we are sticking with Act II. The Movie Style Butter popcorn is awesome & totally addictive.

skoki-mom Explorer

I take Orville's micro popcorn to work on night shift. I eat a LOT of popcorn, even before my celiac disease dx, so was I ever glad my favourite snack was safe! I only make hot air popped at home, and put real butter on it, mmmmmmmmm. I have zero guilt about it because I just think of all the stuff I can't have!! I can't watch Survivor or a hockey game without my 'corn!

swittenauer Enthusiast

I never ate a lot of popcorn before my husband was diagnosed & it became one of his favorite snacks. Now I find myself taking a bag of it for lunch. I'm hooked.

scottsuzann Newbie
I've never heard of that brand of popcorn. Do you have the Delphi list? I found it to be very helpful. I printed the whole list and then stapled each section. I filed each section into one of those folding type file thingys. I labeled each section so its very convenient. If I want to look for popcorn I just pull out the "snack foods" and just pick something off the list. I checked the list for Cousin Willy's but its not on there so I don't know if its gluten-free or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok... New here, what is the delphi list and how do i get one? :huh:

Thanks,

Suzann

grantschoep Contributor
Ok... New here, what is the delphi list and how do i get one? :huh:

Thanks,

Suzann

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People can probably mail it to you on here. But I figure its easy enough just to go straight to the source.

Open Original Shared Link

You'll need to register and make a log in. But then you can always grab it when needed and updated. Actually, I think you can just grab them as guest, don't know, already have all my login stuff. Just go to messages tab, and the first section of messages is gluten-free Product list.

Eliza13 Contributor

My favourite way to have popcorn is by using a pot, olive oil and kernels. Nothing beats it....it is delicious!! I salt them when they're done.

Guest arnelwendy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do you get the delphi list

Archived