This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Annoyed!

Victoria6102

Victoria6102 Contributor

I went to my senior banquet last night and ate PF Changs since the restaurant we were at did not have anything gluten free. You know how they put those little orange "gluten free" stickers on the containers?

Well some of the girls (this was with my youth group) insisted that I put the sticker on my face and take a picture like that. For some reason it really annoyed me and I wouldn't....so one of the other seniors put it on her forehead and had someone take a picture while she made this look like she was insane(tongue sticking out, eyes crossed going "duhhh"). I asked why she was making that face....her reply? "because I'm gluten free" almost the whole table bursted out laughing. I felt SO uncomfortable and embarrassed and humiliated. And they kept putting their food really close to mine, pretending they were going to gluten it...making all kinds of comments. Can I just go to one thing without people being so rude?! Just ONE?! I know that it may seem like I'm overreacting but it just annoyed me a lot. Sorry, just had to vent....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

raea2002 Apprentice

((Hugs)). Hang in there. Kids sometimes just don't understand and are unthoughtful. Hang in there.

kareng Grand Master

Kids where you live are really mean. My boys go to school with kids with Celiac and no one does all the horrible things the kids at your school & church do to the Celiac or peanut allergy kids. Well. schools almost over & you never have to go to social activities with them again.

Victoria6102 Contributor

I'm homeschooled, this is my church youth group. :P unfortunately, I'll still be around them after I graduate. Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

frieze Community Regular

I'm homeschooled, this is my church youth group. :P unfortunately, I'll still be around them after I graduate. Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

where the "heck" are the chaperones/mentors for this group???? this is totally unacceptable behavior and soooo a "teachable" moment. These are mid to older teens, yes? there is NO need or excuse for this behavior being tolerated!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I've read several of your posts and almost all seem to be about the mean/abusive/inappropriate behavior of the other kids in your youth group. It does not sound like the adults involved with this group are doing an adequate job protecting (emotionally and physically) you and the kids sound like a bunch of jerks. If this group is not mandatory (like school) why do you continue to be a part of it? Walk away. They are not going to change. You have given them ample time and opportunities to show you that they care and they clearly do not. It is shocking that this is a church sponsored group. If your participation is voluntary, either accept that this is how it is going to be or stop subjecting yourself to this. Sometimes you just have to remove yourself from toxic people and move on.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I think you know that this insensitive behavior is not going to miraculously change just because you want it to. Eventually, what goes around, comes around. At some point in their lives, those kids will find themselves in a situation where they need compassion and support and it will not be there. Perhaps at that time they will reflect back to how they treated you and realize their mistake and be remorseful. Until then, find some new friends.

Cara

IrishHeart Veteran

I agree with Cara

This is not the first time you have posted about these mean kids in your church group. They keep doing this stuff to you. They sound like 6 year olds.

You need a better group of friends who treat you with respect.

Otherwise, this is just going to continue.

If you feel you MUST stay with this group (why, I do not know, since they seem to annoy you all the time), then you need to start laughing them off.

They know it gets to you, so they keep doing it!

I wonder, if you had just put that goofy G F sticker on your cheek and stuck your tongue out and posed for the camera if it would have put an end to it.

We have to be more clever than others sometimes so we get the respect we deserve.

;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This is church group, again? Where are your parents? Why do they allow you to continue to be bullied and threatened with physical harm? You have said you have told the youth group adult leader and nothing has happened. You have told your parents and they refuse to help and insist that you go to this group?

Looks like its up to you at this point. You can put your foot down and tell your parents you refuse to go where people threaten your safety. You can stand up and tell these " friends" in a loud voice for all to hear, that if they continue to try to poison your food, you will call the police or some other statement of your choosing.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree with the others that you need to find a new group of friends. Your other option is to try and develop a thicker skin. If you didn't get so upset about it they might lighten up on you a bit. With people like these kids the more upset you get the more ribbing your going to get. If you can somehow laugh about their kidding instead of getting upset they will get bored with teasing you and move on to their next victim. I know it isn't easy but it is your only recourse if the adults are not helping and you are not willing to give up being part of the group. Sometimes it isn't what happens to us but how we react that keeps things going.

Ninja Contributor

I don't know how you still have patience for these kids! There are so many other ways/places to find friends

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hon, get new friends.

Or, just get friends because those people are NOT your friends.

Takala Enthusiast

They sound like a bunch of wheat-heads.

nmull #newly diagnosed Newbie

Hey sweetie,

I am actually Going through this as a 35 yr old adult. Its because of unawareness about Celiac. My boss at work calls me Gluttony... Which im sure you know means over eating and as a female that is a sore subject. I have Just started laughing it off and it seems to go away easier. I Just think others do not know what is it or how to respond so they make jokes. Its doesn't make it right by no means. It sounds Like you maybe one of the more popular girls in your youth group and the other chics dont Like you getting all the attention. :(

My suggestion is start praying for them. If anyone is going to help you through this and turn it around it will be God. The devil is Just trying to stir up division within your Youth group. Hang it there, He' a on time God :)

Your in my prayers

Victoria6102 Contributor

These aren't my friends! Just idiotic teens. My two good friends were there and did not laugh. My parents don't force me to go, I willingly go :) also I do laugh it off in front of them, and don't make a big deal out of it. Just inside it bothers me but I don't usually let it show. I just come here to vent but Im sorry if I've annoyed you with my posts about their rudeness...it's just the one place where people understand me! :P I don't know anyone personally with celiac and sometimes I feel alone. I probably do need to toughen up and stop being annoyed by how they treat me...I'm trying but it's hard.

Thanks nmull, I appreciate your prayers :) wish I was popular but that's not the case LOL. There has been a lot of division in our youth group lately, I don't want to cause anymore. I know it seems like a good option to you all for me to find a different church but I can't and don't want to. The two good friends are more than I deserve and there are many people who love me and that I love in my church:) there's just these 10 or so that are full of themselves and enjoy degrading others. I am trying to get over it, I really am! Thanks for reminding me about that :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This is a place where you are always welcome to vent. It has got to be hard to deal with them and I don't think anyone is annoyed with you at all. We just wish we had some way of thunking those idiots on the head. I am glad you aren't letting them know that they are getting to you and that your 2 friends have your back. The karma these kids are throwing out will come back to bite them in the end.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Sounds like you are graduating soon - you will be pleasantly surprised how life changes after high school and how much it really doesn't matter if your were one of the "popular" kids or not. Hang in there.

Cara

I'm not annoyed with you. I'd like to slap the adults who are supposed to be supervising those little twits, though.

And as far as the little twits go - they'd be scrubbing the toilets with their toothbrush if it was up to me.

But alas, it's not.

I hope since you graduate you are able to leave the youth group and move into an adult group - where mark my words - someone will deal with The Twits. Most adults won't put up with that. I wouldn't. If someone was that rude in any group I was in (I don't care who they directed it at) I'd bet my bottom dollar they'd never do it in my presence again. The Twits need a good dose of public humiliation. Shouldn't be difficult since they sound rather stupid.

Ninja Contributor

I'm not annoyed with you either! In fact, I admire your resiliency. :) I just wish you didn't have to deal with them – they seem like complete idiots! I'd like to slap some sense into some of them... :blink:

Hugs,

~Laura

mamaw Community Regular

You can always vent on here.. Many are just trying to tell you its not your problem (celiac) it is this group of Christian youth that have not grown up yet...

You did mention you are home-schooled ...are the ones who are being rude in public school? If so, that may be a reason they pick at you...

And I really don't get any of this bullying from a church youth group--- don't adults members from this church address issues of bullying, bad behavior with their kids??? Just doesn't fit in with church, A loving God, doing unto others as you would want them to treat you..

kindness& respect to another human, none of these actions you have been telling us is God-like....

I know you love your church but I can tell you my kids would not be in a church like that where the laws of God are not followed..

Take your two friends& find a new place to worship that understands Living the word of God...

So that is my vent!!!!

Victoria6102 Contributor

Thanks everyone :)

The kids treating me this way are some homeschooled, some public schooled and some Christian schooled. I've been to many churches and find that kids everywhere are mean, and like you said, need to grow up! I know for the rest of my life I will be dealing with people like them, wherever I am. Guess yout all Right and i need ti learn to deal with it. Our church teaches how to live Christ-like and many at my church follow that. These kids just have chosen to be rebellious and no doubt will always be rude. Thanks for the concern about my church...:) but my problem is knowing how to deal with people's rude behavior, which I know will always be everywhere. I tend to back off and not stand up for myself when rude comments are made. Just how I am . Guess I gotta handle things better, maybe this is all my fault! :P

Thanks everyone :)

The kids treating me this way are some homeschooled, some public schooled and some Christian schooled. I've been to many churches and find that kids everywhere are mean, and like you said, need to grow up! I know for the rest of my life I will be dealing with people like them, wherever I am. Guess yout all Right and i need ti learn to deal with it. Our church teaches how to live Christ-like and many at my church follow that. These kids just have chosen to be rebellious and no doubt will always be rude. Thanks for the concern about my church...:) but my problem is knowing how to deal with people's rude behavior, which I know will always be everywhere. I tend to back off and not stand up for myself when rude comments are made. Just how I am . Guess I gotta handle things better, maybe this is all my fault! :P

It's not your fault. Jerks/Twits, etc. are not your fault. It's their parents' fault. And the youth group counselors' fault.

But you are going to have to learn to deal with people of all personality types. And you'll be happier if you learn to tell people like The Twits to go fly a kite.

Ninja Contributor

It can be really hard to stand up for yourself

Victoria6102 Contributor

I hate confrontation do I think that's why I don't stand up for myself. I did this time about the sticker..just the principle of someone wanting me to put a sticker on my head that describes the kind of food I have to eat, because I have a disease, just so they can laugh at me. Thanks for the advice Aerial. And yes, they def are twits lol

cavernio Enthusiast

They sound like a bunch of wheat-heads.

hahahahahaaa, I'm gonna start using that with my bf when we talk about people and how annoying/dumb they can be

Archived