This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Down And Out And Frustrated And....

Trudyjerry

Trudyjerry Rookie

Too many emotions running through my head to list. My first anniversary, birthday and mother's day with my newly diagnosed problems. Today is my husband and my 14th anniversary, tomorrow is my 34th birthday, and of course, sunday is mother's day. I will not be having cake or ice cream. The cake for obvious reasons but also because I'm now on a low sugar diet because I found out I'm pre-diabetic. Still not too sure what that means. The ice-cream because it turns out I'm allergic to milk. Who knew?

Now I'm wondering if all of the tests were/are worth it? You see, I'm not done yet. Still have the endoscopy and colonoscopy next week and almost forgot, more blood work tomorrow. When did I loose control of my life or am I just trying to regain it?

Then I'm feeling guilty about the whole no cake and ice-cream thing and it's my birthday. But I know my 5 kids have expectations and I hate letting them down but I don't want to make something I can't have or eat it and then end up sick. Shoot, I'm barely getting over my husband accidentally glutening me with sour cherry candies that he bought me.

I guess I'm just frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. Hey, if anybody has any good low-carb, low-sugar, gluten free, dairy free cake and icing recipes, maybe you could pass them my way. Thanks for letting me vent.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Get a pint of dairy free coconut milk ice cream.

Make a microwave bun-in-a-cup recipe for your own personal "cake," using whatever ingredients agree with your dietary needs, such as low/no sugar with sweetener of choice and high protein flours.

Once you stop eating much sugar, you lose your taste for it, especially when you realize that you're craving sugars in the carbohydrate binge and bust, blood sugar drop cycle, that is in turn a symptom of not absorbing nutrients because of celiac or gluten intolerance damage.

Get another cake and regular ice cream or frozen yogurt for the others. The regular ice cream can be a gluten free flavor since they may as well start getting used to it, if you have to switch.

BTW, your kids will need to be tested, if they have any symptoms, as the tendency is inherited.

Your endoscopy biopsy can still come out negative - be absolutely sure to get the test results in writing, as there have been more cases than I can count of a person with symptoms and positive on either blood tests or biopsy still not getting an official diagnosis, and be sort of left hanging in no-man's land. And more than a few of there being some damage shown on biopsy, but the doctor still will not grant diagnosis status.

After testing, try going gluten free anyway, and see if you feel better. Also, (sounding like a broken record) exercise is very important to keeping blood sugars more leveled out, it doesn't have to be a GIANT COMMITMENT EVERYDAY, but consistent, small amounts.

dani nero Community Regular

I agree with and echo Takala 100%

The beginning is always the toughest period because of your attachment to sugary/ gluten-ie foods. You'll realize happy moments don't have to revolve around sugary treats once you've lived without them for a while, and you'll discover your new favorite alternatives in time too :-)

I used to be in love with nutella, and going dairy, sugar, and soy free meant no more nutella, and I went without it (or any other sugary treats) for a little over a month. One evening however, when my cravings got the better of me, I fixed myself a huge spoonful of nutella. I decided that one spoon won't hurt me. Guess what.. I didn't like it! It was way too sweet for my liking to the point of not being able to taste the nutty chocolate. I couldn't even finish it, and I actually ended up tossing the spoonful and the nutella jar away.

When you're off the sugar, your taste-buds actually heal and regain the sensitivity that they have lost. Same story with salt.

As for cakes and ice cream, there are alternatives.

I don't have any cake recipes, but I do have two cookie recipes that I got from pricklypear.. they're not cake but at least something close?

Recipe 1

Instead of full eggs you could do egg whites. Replace butter with shortening or oil (I think you'd reduce oil a bit if using). I'd refrigerate the dough before baking. You could add some cocoa. I'd use half the amount of maple syrup to sugar.

Ingredients

• 3 cups of rice flour

• 1/2 tsp baking soda

• 1/4 tsp salt

• 1/2 tsp baking powder

• 1 cup butter

• 2 eggs, beaten

• 1 cup sugar

How to make it

• Mix all ingredients together to form dough

• Roll dough out and cut out as desired, its fun to make these into holiday shapes or quick and easy just to cut into circles

• Bake at 350 degrees 8-10 minutes

• Frost or decorate as desired

Recipe 2

You can use only egg whites or egg replacer

INGREDIENTS

1 cup Arrowhead Mills Brown Rice Flour

2 Tbs butter or vegetable oil

¼ cup honey or maple syrup

½ teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla 

1 egg (beaten)

1 cup nuts (ground)

Directions: Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Chill for several hours or overnight. Roll into 1-inch balls and arrange on oiled baking sheet. Press flat with bottom of glass. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.

BabsV Enthusiast

Aw, sweetie, sorry you're feeling so down.

You've got the trifecta of events happening and one at a time would be hard enough to deal with.

The tests aren't fun (and I am also so sick of doctors and tests at this point!) but get them done so you've got all the information you need. Make sure to get copies of all your results -- I've built my own file that I share with doctors because I've had to see so many different ones...!

Finally, Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! And an early Happy Mother's Day!

Try to put a positive spin on all the events...you are starting a 'new year' with the knowledge that you can get your body healthier!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

You could also see if there is a bakery in your area that could make you a cake. We have one that does gluten/dairy/nut free cakes and also a new "Paleo" bakery that is gluten free. When we were celebrating my son's birthday that happened to coincide with a family wedding, we ordered an almond flour cake (small, because it was expensive) to have at the reception and some guests preferred it over the traditional wedding cake! It was delicious. There are also gluten-free cake mixes that I think can be made dairy free with some substitutions.

For dessert here, our favorite is a brownie sundae . . . gluten-free brownies (from a mix) topped with ice cream (The "So Delicious" coconut ice cream is fantastic and dairy free) and chocolate sauce. The kids add their own topping. They prefer this to cake.

Cara

frieze Community Regular

Too many emotions running through my head to list. My first anniversary, birthday and mother's day with my newly diagnosed problems. Today is my husband and my 14th anniversary, tomorrow is my 34th birthday, and of course, sunday is mother's day. I will not be having cake or ice cream. The cake for obvious reasons but also because I'm now on a low sugar diet because I found out I'm pre-diabetic. Still not too sure what that means. The ice-cream because it turns out I'm allergic to milk. Who knew?

Now I'm wondering if all of the tests were/are worth it? You see, I'm not done yet. Still have the endoscopy and colonoscopy next week and almost forgot, more blood work tomorrow. When did I loose control of my life or am I just trying to regain it?

Then I'm feeling guilty about the whole no cake and ice-cream thing and it's my birthday. But I know my 5 kids have expectations and I hate letting them down but I don't want to make something I can't have or eat it and then end up sick. Shoot, I'm barely getting over my husband accidentally glutening me with sour cherry candies that he bought me.

I guess I'm just frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. Hey, if anybody has any good low-carb, low-sugar, gluten free, dairy free cake and icing recipes, maybe you could pass them my way. Thanks for letting me vent.

Please tell me you haven't gone gluten free BEFORE the endoscopy/biopsy?!!!!
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

This is a long thread but if you aren't allergic to nuts try Elana's Pantry www.elanaspantry.com. Grain free, milk free recipes galore. And they're good. And low sugar.

And yes, if they are biopsying you for Celiac you need to still be eating gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Trudyjerry Rookie

Thank you all for your replies. I actually have been gluten free for a touch over three months. My GI is going to biopsy me for celiac's but he's thinking they will be negative. He and my PCP already gave me a clinical diagnosis of celiac's purely on my symptoms. The scopes are for colitis and to see how bad the damage is from the acid reflux. He also wants to see if the milk allergy may have caused any damaged.

According to him a medical diagnosis isn't worth the torture I would put myself through especially while trying to take care of my children. A medical diagnosis of non celiac gluten intolerance works just as well. Either way, I am done with wheat.

I don't know. All I know is that I am starting to feel better physically but mentally I am a bit drained. It's all a bit much. The life style changes have been overwhelming. The extend of what is wrong physically is more than what I thought. I'm slowly trying to process it all.

Thanks again for all of your replies. I am so glad to have found this place.

marjean Newbie

I found out last year I had Celiac after testing, bloodwork, you name it..I felt so bad I couldnt eat anything, stomach bloated, and I couldnt keep food down. I always had colitis,bronchitis, migraines..you name it..When I first got the gluton out of my system I lost 30 pounds(kept it off), and felt ALOT better..But now the strange thing is my tongue looks like skid marks and is sore..Still being sure to go gluton free, my migraines have returned and I feel cruddy most of the time..So again I am eliminating more things, and get depressed..Now I found out not only Celiac is hereditary but I also have familial..is ths somehow related? Whats going on? Im nauseated and dizzy most of the time. My doctor added B12 to my other vitamins, flax seed oil, but no change. Any suggestions?

Jetamio Apprentice

If you can have almonds, Almond milk and almond milk ice cream have been a big help for my dessert cravings.

Archived