This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Domino's "Gluten Free" Crust

1974girl

Scott Adams Grand Master

Well, your blog does not exist. Is Domino's being honest when their headline uses the term "gluten-free crust" in it? Do you really think that when college celiacs call in to order it that they are going to read a disclaimer to them and let them know that the end product really isn't gluten-free? Also, what is the NCFA's role? Is it to help big corporations launch psuedo-gluten-free products so they can make a lot of money, or is it to serve their celiac base, as their name indicates?

I am actually posting again because there are reports that Domono's is deleting all negative posts on their Facebook page. I urge everyone here to help verify this fact by going there an posting how you feel about their new "gluten-free" pizza: http://www.facebook.com/Dominos

Please report back here what post you made, and whether it was deleted.

Take care,

Scott

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

• IrishHeart

• Scott Adams

• kareng

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 17 posts

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 15 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 14 posts

• kareng

kareng 14 posts

Posted Images

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, your blog does not exist. Is Domino's being honest when their headline uses the term "gluten-free crust" in it? Do you really think that when college celiacs call in to order it that they are going to read a disclaimer to them and let them know that the end product really isn't gluten-free? Also, what is the NCFA's role? Is it to help big corporations launch psuedo-gluten-free products so they can make a lot of money, or is it to serve their celiac base, as their name indicates?

I am actually posting again because there are reports that Domono's is deleting all negative posts on their Facebook page. I urge everyone here to help verify this fact by going there an posting how you feel about their new "gluten-free" pizza: http://www.facebook.com/Dominos

Please report back here what post you made, and whether it was deleted.

Take care,

Scott

Hmmm...I edited it and it seems to work. It isn't my blog post - its one I found while reading NFCA Twitter feed.

I haven't looked at Domino's FB today but they were deleting huge chunks of posts overnight (Monday to Tuesday). When I last looked Monday there were 700+ posts and there were 100+ Tuesday. The posts left were a mix of positive/negative and seemed to be the most recent but they could have been deleting based on other criteria, I don't know.

I'm going to call my local Dominos and see what they say about ordering a gluten-free pizza. I'll get back to ya.

Ok.

So I called my local store and told them I wanted a gluten-free pizza. He said ok. I asked about gluten-free toppings and he didn't know and asked me to hold for the cook.

I asked the cook about the gluten-free toppings. He said he thought they were all gluten-free. I said I needed to know for sure. So he grabbed his list of gluten-free toppings and told me the one that isn't gluten-free. I asked if they are using toppings from the bins from gluten pizzas and he said yes. He said they have "this thing" they're supposed to read to tell people it isn't suitable for Celiacs - he said he doesn't really understand it but he thinks it's just for people who want gluten-free for "dietary reasons". I asked "like Kim K and Miley?" and he said yes :).

I told him the earlier guy on the phone didn't read me that statement, and thanked him for explaining it all to me.

The end.

I have read that if you order online you get a big caution statement about cc, etc. I guess the same thing he was supposed to read to me?

As far as the honesty thing - I think they are being honest at launch. Probably honest when you order online. But as suspected, the stores are not up to speed.

Do I think them having any rating is bs? Yeah. But if they keep the stupid rating around I'll use it to eliminate places that are unsafe - so for me there's a use.

I predict the rating will flop and disappear because it will be associated with the Domino's Debacle. I mean, do you really want your target market to associate you with unsafe food? Because that's what those restaurants are saying with the Amber rating - they refuse to take proper precautions.

Like I said, I don't envy the NFCA PR people. At all. Domino's doesn't care and is loving the PR.

The NFCA site is scripting it as "we're helping you discern safety" and Domino's and other writers are playing it as if they just received a thumbs up - a certification that they did something right instead of achieving a rating that says "we're in it for the weight loss people".

I don't know if NFCA was aiming the Amber alert for "dieters" but they just defined the rating by giving it to Domino's.

Big. PR. Debacle.

Edit: I just went through the ordering process online. They do give a warning when you choose the crust; however, the Philly Steak meat the guy on the phone told me was NOT gluten-free is an option on the gluten-free crust, without a warning it contains gluten. I've yet to locate a list of gluten-free toppings, perhaps because I'm on a mobile device - I'll try it some time on a computer.

Second Edit:

Found this on the NFCA website http://www.celiaccentral.org/dominos/Customer-FAQs/679/

Note it says the Philly Steak meat, Alfredo Sauce and Cheddar Sauce are not gluten-free. When I compare that to the online ordering options on Domino's I only find Philly Steak as an option. Is white sauce=Alfredo? Is cheddar cheese=cheese sauce? I don't even see the gluten sauces as options for gluten pizzas.

sa1937 Community Regular

I just posted on Dominos FB page and kept a copy of what I wrote. I'll be checking back to see if they delete my post.

Lisa Mentor

I just posted on Dominos FB page and kept a copy of what I wrote. I'll be checking back to see if they delete my post.

I tweeted about ten times the other day @Dominos. I expect they are also gone.

sa1937 Community Regular

I tweeted about ten times the other day @Dominos. I expect they are also gone.

When I posted just 25 minutes ago, there were 274 comments. There are now 268. No question they are deleting posts they consider unfavorable. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they delete mine.

sa1937 Community Regular

Here's my first post on Dominos FB page (posted a couple of hours ago). It seems to have "disappeared":

"I have celiac disease and find it an abomination that a company like Dominos would come out with a pseudo gluten-free pizza. It will not be safe for me or anyone else diagnosed with celiac. While the crust may indeed be gluten-free, the risk of cross-contamination is just too great. I wouldn't trust the prep, the ovens or the knowledge of employees to prepare anything that would be even remotely safe for me to eat. Sorry Dominos...I am not on this diet because I want to be. It is a matter or life or death. Total bummer that you have to jump on the gluten-free bandwagon just because it's the latest diet craze."

And my second one posted a few minutes ago:

"It takes a big company to handle the good, the bad and the ugly and want honest input from consumers. Sadly Dominos is not one of them. So if a post is unfavorable, it's deleted pronto. And that's shameful!!!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

They are not going to leave any negative comments! That would affect sales.

I just read what you posted Sylvia and all the other comments and there are more glowing kuddos and "thank you's" than any reasonable posts from celiacs like us.

One celiac even said "I do not have reactions to a little CC, so I can eat this"...wtf?? even Celiacs do not get it.

Let them eat it then.

IrishHeart Veteran

What makes me grouchy is - how will we know it's an "amber" rating? We see gluten-free and think its gluten-free not gluten lite. We might have caught it here , but other places say NFCA certified gluten-free & we think it's safe. If they said "NFCA certified amber level" or "NFCA certifie gluten lite", then we would know. Being "certified" conveys an amount of security that they have had training and are following procedures to make the food gluten-free.

EXACTLY. I am feeling a little grouchy about this too...

kareng Grand Master

While we should be angry with Dominos. we should be furious with the NFCA! They know that we will see a restaurant proudly displaying thier symbol and a "Certified by NFCA" and assume its as safe as it gets. Even if it says "Amber designation form NCFA" who would know that is anything to worry about? Most Celiacs are not on C.com or any other newsletter. How would they even know about this issue?

Is there a way we can email NFCA to express our displeasure with this "Amber" designation? (sounds more civilized than what I wanted to say :angry: ) I don't have time right now to check for an email.

Disclaimer: Don't get on me for saying "assume". I know most people active on this Forum would ask questions. I'm thinking of all the Celiacs that are not active on forums, too.

While we should be angry with Dominos. we should be furious with the NFCA! They know that we will see a restaurant proudly displaying thier symbol and a "Certified by NFCA" and assume its as safe as it gets. Even if it says "Amber designation form NCFA" who would know that is anything to worry about? Most Celiacs are not on C.com or any other newsletter. How would they even know about this issue?

Is there a way we can email NFCA to express our displeasure with this "Amber" designation? (sounds more civilized than what I wanted to say :angry: ) I don't have time right now to check for an email.

Disclaimer: Don't get on me for saying "assume". I know most people active on this Forum would ask questions. I'm thinking of all the Celiacs that are not active on forums, too.

I can't find an email specific to this issue, but take your pick here http://www.celiaccentral.org/About-NFCA/NFCA-Team-Staff/30/.

Lisa Mentor

I can't find an email specific to this issue, but take your pick here http://www.celiaccentral.org/About-NFCA/NFCA-Team-Staff/30/.

Contact Information for NFCA:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/About-NFCA/Contact-Us/28/

Scott Adams Grand Master
I asked the cook about the gluten-free toppings. He said he thought they were all gluten-free. I said I needed to know for sure. So he grabbed his list of gluten-free toppings and told me the one that isn't gluten-free. I asked if they are using toppings from the bins from gluten pizzas and he said yes. He said they have "this thing" they're supposed to read to tell people it isn't suitable for Celiacs - he said he doesn't really understand it but he thinks it's just for people who want gluten-free for "dietary reasons". I asked "like Kim K and Miley?" and he said yes

So we are only one week into launch, training is supposed to have been done according to the NFCA, and this is what we get? Imagine a year from now???

I am for starting a campaign to pressure Domino's to stop using the term "gluten-free", and for pressuring the NFCA to remove Domino's certification...who is with me?

Scott

mushroom Proficient

I am definitely with you on this one, Scott. The whole thing disgusts me.

1) if anyone is serious about tracking this debacle (I find it interesting from a case study perspective) you need to start taking screen shots of the NFCA site pages, press releases, specifically the pages about their certification, twitter, FB.

2) ditto on Domino's site, FB, twitter, etc.

You'll notice things.....change.

My beef with the whole thing is that the Amber certification is worthless EXCEPT to tell me a restaurant has been informed of what needs to be done and refuses to do it.

Furthermore, what Domino's is doing isn't "risking" cc, it's GUARANTEEING cc. You are guaranteeing cc when you double-dip those bins and use the same cutters. How is that crust different from a SALAD made from cc'd bins? It isn't. So they are certified to take gluten-free ingredients and contaminate them.

I don't see how anyone with a gluten issue can eat at Domino's with any feeling of safety since there's no way to determine HOW MUCH cc there is in each pizza, each time one is made. I wouldn't risk illness to figure it out, personally. But that's their decision.

Scott Adams Grand Master

So both Domino's and the NFCA are now deleting negative comments, although Domino's is doing it way more. Can you all please:

• Make comments at both sites about how you feel, and take screen shots of them and post them here if they get deleted? To take a screen shot there is a print screen button on your key board, and some may need to hit the function/print screen buttons at the same time. Then you can paste the photo by using the Control-V buttons.
  • http://www.facebook.com/Dominos
  • http://www.facebook.com/NFCeliacAwareness

Let's document this bad behavior for an upcoming article. If both parties are so sure about this, then why are dozens, if not hundreds of comments getting deleted from their Facebook pages?

Victoria6102 Contributor

I don't have a Facebook but I am so angry that they are deleting everyone's comments. They're just too scared to stand up and say they made a mistake so they're gonna delete the TRUTH off of their Facebook page and make us look bad. I think we should boycott dominoes. Obviously we already don't eat there but our families might. I'm upset they're doing this and something needs to be done to stop it!

sa1937 Community Regular

I not much of a FB user, but I have a question. When I just pull up the comments for the last posts, my first comment does not show up, which tells me it has been deleted. When I log in, it does show up. Do they make posts invisible except to the poster? Surprisingly my last comment is still there and hasn't yet been deleted.

Here's the direct link

I not much of a FB user, but I have a question. When I just pull up the comments for the last posts, my first comment does not show up, which tells me it has been deleted. When I log in, it does show up. Do they make posts invisible except to the poster? Surprisingly my last comment is still there and hasn't yet been deleted.

Here's the direct link

You may have a FB setting not allowing your posts to be seen by non-friends, or on the web, etc. But I doubt that's the case since one shows up and not the other.

You may see it on YOUR profile, but not Domino's because they deleted it, not YOU.

You may experiment by posting on a friend's page, asking them to delete it and see what happens. Then again, "friends" may have a different option.

I have noticed Domino's numbers don't add up - memorize the last post and number of posts and go back later. The number says 4 more posts but you only see 2 under the last post you memorized. It may be privacy settings or edits - who knows. I think business pages may have additional options than user profiles.

sa1937 Community Regular

You may have a FB setting not allowing your posts to be seen by non-friends, or on the web, etc. But I doubt that's the case since one shows up and not the other.

You may see it on YOUR profile, but not Domino's because they deleted it, not YOU.

You may experiment by posting on a friend's page, asking them to delete it and see what happens. Then again, "friends" may have a different option.

I have noticed Domino's numbers don't add up - memorize the last post and number of posts and go back later. The number says 4 more posts but you only see 2 under the last post you memorized. It may be privacy settings or edits - who knows. I think business pages may have additional options than user profiles.

It's not on my profile at all. It probably would only be there if I'd friend them. That ain't gonna happen. And why one post shows up and the other doesn't is puzzling. If you pull up the link, can you see either of my posts?

As you can tell I'm not a FB person...basically I'm only on because I want to see what my kids are up to.

Edit: My first post was made just before the "yuck" comment (about 6 hours ago)

Edited by sa1937
Lisa Mentor

Here is me: (don't know how to photo)

Lisa

Alice, I fear this is a very bad partnership. Perhaps a name change is in order to - National Foundation for Gluten Sensitivily Awareness. I feed kind of sold out here!

2 minutes ago · Like · 2

And on Dominio's:

If the gluten free pizza is not suitable for those of us with Celiac Disease, then why is the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness endorsing this product?

It's not on my profile at all. It probably would only be there if I'd friend them. That ain't gonna happen. And why one post shows up and the other doesn't is puzzling. If you pull up the link, can you see either of my posts?

As you can tell I'm not a FB person...basically I'm only on because I want to see what my kids are up to.

Edit: My first post was made just before the "yuck" comment (about 6 hours ago)

I could see the short post, not the long one.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Screen shots are best...please try to take them of the comments you made...and post them here.

hexon Rookie

While I like that companies are finally starting to develop a market for their gluten-free audience, the NFCA should have made more effort to educate dominos on prep practices before they ever gave them any kind of certification. Consumers aren't aware of different certification levels, and neither are the individuals who will most likely be ordering food for those of us with celiac disease or NCGI. "Gluten-free" shouldn't have different certification levels. It's either free of gluten or it's not, no in-between. If companies wish to use the term "gluten-free," the standards should be indicative of the end product and not whatever it starts out with. If people were guaranteed their food was poop free, but the restaurant stated that someone could have accidentally pooped on it at any stage in the cooking process I highly doubt anyone would want to touch it.

I'm actually glad we are able to see that the company is deleting posts. This shows that they are acknowledging that many of their consumer base has an issue with their new product. They actually came out today with a new post on FB defending their gluten-free pizza, saying it may not be for everyone. However, this does show that they company doesn't have very high moral standards and is unwilling to address the issue at hand. If they are that worried about negative comments then FIX THE PROBLEM, instead of pretending it doesn't exist. I'm also glad they inform people upon placing an order that the pizza is not safe for people with celiac disease, but some consumers may just see this as a "cover your butt" statement to avoid lawsuits and order it anyways. When I visited my local gluten-free bakery yesterday I told them about the new domino's pizza, but informed her that they use the same equipement. Her replay was, "that's not really gluten-free." So I think, in the end, it's ultimately up to us to spread awareness of the issues and pressure companies to change their practices.