This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Domino's "Gluten Free" Crust

1974girl

Lisa Mentor

http://glutenfreeville.com/research/amberditched. ( to read more of the article)

"Thanks to an organized gluten free community and initiative led by 1 in 133 founders Jules Shepard and John Forberger

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

• IrishHeart

• Scott Adams

• kareng

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 17 posts

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 15 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 14 posts

• kareng

kareng 14 posts

Posted Images

Takala Enthusiast

Oh, this is both wonderful and hilarious.

NFCA ditches Amber designation, aka NFCA learns running the yellow light thru the restaurant intersection does not result in fewer accidents, and

Chuck- E- Cheese kicks Domino's derriere on a gluten standard. :lol::rolleyes::):D:lol:

______

edit to add: See this link, this is a very good article on the continued fallout, by the Nation's Restaurant News website

"Domino's Pizza under fire for labeling crust 'gluten-free'

http://nrn.com/article/dominos-under-fire-labeling-crust-gluten-free

Get a load of the fallback position taken by Domino's now:

Tim McIntyre, a spokesman for Domino’s, said the chain has been “extraordinarily forthcoming” about the fact that the gluten-free crust should not be eaten by people with celiac disease, but media coverage of the product launch has not always included that information. “We have received many thanks from customers with mild gluten sensitivity and from those following a gluten-free diet,” he said. “We understand and appreciate the disappointment of those with the disease, but we wanted to be honest and transparent.

“We’re not ever going to imply that this product is right for those diagnosed with celiac disease,” he added. “We cannot help it if some media outlets neglect to include that information in their coverage of the story.”

"We can't help it.... " :ph34r::blink:<_<

Dear Domino's, let us introduce you to what the phrase Gluten Free really means, instead of what you thought you could get away with. It means FREE OF GLUTEN, not "Celiacs and sensitive Gluten Intolerants are Stupid, and won't mind if we cop their labeling for a marketing gimmick."

hexon Rookie

Wow! So much has changed in the last few days, and it's awesome! I'm glad the community's voice is being heard, especially by its own organizations.

IrishHeart Veteran

Power to the People!!! :)

123glldd Collaborator

Likewise we were impressed by chuck e cheese's idea as well. Really hope we get it in this area. We don't care if it's for kids...we're big kids anyhow lol

Lisa Mentor

Copied from the FB page of the GIG:

Below is the statement that appears on Dominos website and FB:

(in part) "...The NFCA supports Domino's® efforts to provide a Gluten Free Crust to a national audience and has given Domino's® a "Gluten Free Ingredients" rating. The NFCA granted Domino's® this rating because of our verified ingredients, consumer education approach and customer service training. This means the NFCA and Domino's® do not recommend this pizza for people with celiac disease. However, because the risk for gluten exposure is low, this product may be an option for those with mild gluten sensitivities. While the Gluten Free Crust contains no gluten ingredients, a risk of gluten exposure can occur due to the handcrafted nature of the pizza and the variety of procedures in the kitchen...."

We want to hear your thoughts. I a few days we will tell you how the medical and other support groups are responding.

http://www.facebook.com/GlutenIntoleranceGroup

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Copied from the FB page of the GIG:

Below is the statement that appears on Dominos website and FB:

(in part)

We want to hear your thoughts. I a few days we will tell you how the medical and other support groups are responding.

http://www.facebook.com/GlutenIntoleranceGroup

HAHAHAHAAH!!!! They already heard our thoughts!!! They all got deleted! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I had so much smoke coming out of my ears after seeing that NFCA amber logo on the original Domino's video introducing their Gluten Free In Name Only Pizza, (GFINOP) I told myself I had better wait a few days before even trying to draft a blog about this because it goes over better to not set off the smoke alarms. Then they started retreating before I got cranked up.

Now they (NFCA) is like kokopelli, the wiley coyote, back to his old tricks.

The NFCA "Gluten Free Ingredients" designation.

All that NFCA has to do is add an "N," an "O," and a "P" word, and they'll be right where they should be . GFINOP, Gluten Free In Name Only Peddlers !

According to the 5/18/2012 statement on the NFCA website, it says "NFCA to Conduct Further Study on Amber Designation" and that NFCA is "suspending" the Amber designation, but it says this:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/nfca-statement-7937/

We will conduct a review to determine the most effective and clearest way to warn the community of the risk of cross-contamination and the use of the phrase “Gluten Free.”

While we regret that confusion may have occurred in relation to the Amber Designation, we do welcome and appreciate the attention this important issue of gluten sensitivity and celiac disease has received through this dialogue. We note that the education of the public, healthcare providers, the restaurant and foodservice industry, and those who are affected by gluten-related disorders has been enhanced by this recent media coverage concerning these designation and labeling issues, as have the interests of those maintaining a medically necessary gluten-free diet.

-bolding above was mine.

I don't need to be having an enhanced contamination restaurant meal with the blessings of the NFCA, which uses the word "Celiac" in their name. "Celiac" is a word meaning people who are required to abstain from the triticum family of grain gluten proteins which causes them to have an auto immune disease reaction. That is medically necessary. That means Celiacs must set the standard for the most sensitive, not the least. What part of "It is not really 'gluten free' if it is cross- contaminated" does the NFCA not comprehend ?

Mamacita Sasso Rookie

I don't need to be having an enhanced contamination restaurant meal with the blessings of the NFCA, which uses the word "Celiac" in their name. "Celiac" is a word meaning people who are required to abstain from the triticum family of grain gluten proteins which causes them to have an auto immune disease reaction. That is medically necessary. That means Celiacs must set the standard for the most sensitive, not the least. What part of "It is not really 'gluten free' if it is cross- contaminated" does the NFCA not comprehend ?

I wouldn't touch their pizza with a 10 foot pole. Talk about trying to capitolize on the gluten free "trend". Fortunately, Manchester NH has lots of gluten free options, including the fabulous Portland Pies and an entire menu at Fratello's. When I need home made pizza, I make the crust with the King Arthur flour company's gluten free mix. Very satisfying.

Such a shame the Domino's couldn't go the full mile and take precautions to make their new pizza crust safe for celiacs. Perhaps a write in campaign will help persuade them? Surely we have the numbers.

kareng Grand Master

More nonsense. This is from GIG's FB ( I put the bold print)

"Gluten Intolerance Group of North America · 5,488 like this

about an hour ago ·

Let us be clear about the facts:

1. On May 18, 2012, GIG posted on our FB the announcement that NFCA gave suspending the Amber Designation AND thanked NFCA for removing the Amber designation from the GREAT Program.

2. On May 21, 2012 it was brought to our attention that the Amber designation was replace on Domino's website by a NFCA endorsed designation that is called out as the 'gluten- free ingredients rating " (https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/customer-service/glutenfreecrust.jsp) taken from Domino's website 5/22/2012 at 11:30 am PST. The text is below:

o ▲ What are the NFCA's "Great Kitchen Standards" and how is Domino's rated?

The NFCA has created a rating system to promote increased clarity that will improve quality of life for everyone adhering to a gluten free diet, to expand accessibility in order to increase compliance of the gluten free diet and to encourage all restaurants to provide training that will enable customers to understand their approach to gluten free and make informed decisions when dining out.

The NFCA supports Domino's efforts to provide a Gluten Free Crust to a national audience and has given Domino's a "Gluten Free Ingredients" rating. The NFCA granted Domino's this rating because of our verified ingredients, consumer education approach and customer service training. This means the NFCA and Domino's do not recommend this pizza for people with celiac disease. However, because the risk for gluten exposure is low, this product may be an option for those with mild gluten sensitivities. While the Gluten Free Crust contains no gluten ingredients, a risk of gluten exposure can occur due to the handcrafted nature of the pizza and the variety of procedures in the kitchen.

3. The North America Society for the Study of Celiac Disease (NASSCD) in their first business meeting brought up the action they took to try to correct the misinformation and danger about the amber designation. Yesterday at DDW they continued to talk about this new and just as dangerous "gluten free ingredients" rating. It became clear in the meeting the NASSCD is not in favor of consumer organizations, providing this type of service without sound science.

4. On May 21, 2012, GIG asked consumers for their thoughts - because GIG does not know why one designation would be replace with one that is just as confusing and is not based on scientific evidence. We asked the community to weigh in. We did not give an opinion.

If what is being tweeted is that this is an oversight on NFCA's part in working with Dominos, then that just needs to be said AND corrected. However, at this time, the endorsement is still on Domino's website, the connection is to NFCA, and it sends a confusing message.

In the interest of disclosure:

1. GIG's GFRAP program levels only refer to who does the initial work - our dietitians or the restaurant. After that there is no tiered designation given to any location.

Our program relationships with food industry are at a very low cost. In fact, GIG loses money on this program.

The medical and scientific communities hold each other accountable to the work they do and its validity. As national leaders supporting gluten free consumers, our responsibility should include holding each other accountable for the validity of our programs AND what we do. If we do not, we should not be leaders. If we do not, the medical community will, as they have done related to this issue."

Skylark Collaborator

Well, Domino's could have had my business. Instead they made pseudo gluten-free pizza and lost out.

Takala Enthusiast

NFCA is tweeting this as of 7 hours ago (that would be around 11 am Pacific Daylight time Tues May 22nd) in response when somebody sees what is currently on the Domino's website and inquires about this supposed NFCA "Gluten Free Ingredients" rating"

I bolded or colored the actual conversations that I expanded and copied here, so they are reading top down instead of bottom up like a normal tweet stream:

Ben Fullerton ‏@FullertonImages

Woohoo! RT @CeliacAwareness @KenScheer @domino's site: "NFCA supports & has given Domino's a "GlutenFree Ingredients" rating"

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

7h Celiac Central ‏@CeliacAwareness

@FullertonImages Clarification: "Gluten-Free Ingredients" rating was the predecessor to the Amber Designation. Both have been suspended

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

6h Ben Fullerton ‏@FullertonImages

@CeliacAwareness Oh I see. So it's not gluten free?

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

6h Celiac Central ‏@CeliacAwareness

@FullertonImages It is not recommended for those with gluten-related disorders.

Ken Scheer ‏@KenScheer

.@celiacawareness @JulesGlutenFree on the @dominos site you "gave them a gluten-free" rating, please explain w/ x-cont how that's possible?

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

7h Gluten Free Philly ‏@GFPhilly

@KenScheer, @celiacawareness, @JulesGlutenFree, @dominos There is no rating.

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

7h Ken Scheer ‏@KenScheer

@gfphilly on the site it says gluten-free ingredient rating. http://ow.ly/b4OFH @CeliacAwareness @JulesGlutenFree @dominos

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

7h Jules Dowler Shepard ‏@JulesGlutenFree

@GFPhilly read on the @Dominos site: there was SUPPOSED to be no rating, but apparently Dominos is saying there is: http://ow.ly/b4HkO

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

Domino's twitter stream does not yet have anything on this today, but yesterday Mon May 21, they had this:

@noglutenhere While we wish we could've developed something for customers with celiac disease, we're pleased to give (cont'd) the 18 million people who are gluten sensitive the chance to enjoy our pizza.

This was in response to people pointing out that they should call the pizza "low gluten" because it is not gluten free , and that "every Dr reporting on ur pizza crust so far is saying people with any #glutensensitivity your product isn't safe for them."

I do not believe we have finished with Domino's foray into misleading and harmful advertising quite yet concerning their product, and NFCA, which started all this, should be issuing more than tweets we have to go digging for.

Mateto Enthusiast

And this is why I get made that some people think this is a fad diet :angry:

Sure, eat gluten-free. It doesn't bother me, but Dominos having this crust doesn't help matters, it will probably only leave a lot of people sick from the unknown cc.

kareng Grand Master

This morning on GIG FB:

"Gluten Intolerance Group of North America

GIG has chosen to remove the discussions today in which we asked consumers what they thought of Dominos continuing to use an endorsement for gluten-free ingredients rating by NFCA.

The intent was to get the community talking about the designation. It has turned into an ugly name-calling match and GIG will not participate in it.

GIG never intended to attack NFCA. The point of the discussion was to discuss the misleading statement that is attributed to NFCA. We hope that NFCA will want to correct it.

This discussion should have led naturally into a discussion about how complicated food-related programs are to manage. Testing is not black and white and has many compounding factors to consider. How a restaurant manages to run a kitchen to make safe food is different for every kitchen. Again, there are a number of compound factors to consider. It is doubtful there would ever be guarantee our food is always 100% gluten-free - unless you are growing it in an isolated area and never eating processed foods. Companies and restaurants you have trusted for years periodically have challenges to being able to keep food safe.

GIG believes firmly that attacking people and organizations is not the way to resolve issues. If the community would like to enter into this discussion with GIG again, we are open to the idea.

All the support groups believe in what they do and all do many good things. We are also responsible to being accountable to the community we serve by providing the best resources and programs we can.

Once again, I am sorry if the community felt this was an attack on NFCA or Alice Bast. It was not.

We stand firm and are supported by knowing the medical community feels the same in that Dominos "gluten-free pizza" is not safe for anyone living a gluten-free lifestyle, AND that the statement and is may ok ok for those less senstive is ok. There is no science to support this statement. At the least it is false advertsing and more concerning is it could harm someone. I hope that NFCA will work to correct the bad information Dominos is giving out under the endorsement of NFCA. If NFCA is not endorsing Dominos not so gluten-free pizza that also should be corrected so the community is not mislead into believing NFCA agrees it is a safe pizza."

Skylark Collaborator

I told my mom about this pizza. She is not celiac and doesn't have to adhere to gluten-free perfectly in order to feel better. She was really pleased becasue she likes Domino's, she can get it delivered, and this pizza will probably work for her. I feel a little better about this product - it is at least helpful to someone I love.

GFinDC Veteran

@Skylark,

I think it will be fine for a lot of people, just not celiacs. I totally agree the Domino's pizza should not be labeled gluten-free, if it is not gluten-free when served to the table. And it's obvious from what Domino's said themselves, it is not gluten-free when it comes out of their kitchens. I would prefer they call i t low gluten or gluten lite myself. gluten-free implies it is safe for celiacs, but it is not in the is case.

One thing that I think people need to consider is that gluten-free is not a diet just for celiacs. Not anymore. There are other medical conditions that may benefit from the gluten-free diet also. People with diabetes sometimes follow a low carb diet and that can mean gluten-free sometimes. People with Crohn's sometimes follow the gluten-free diet also. Other people are trying it as well, like people with Asperger's. And there are plenty of people with the healthy diet of the day interest, who try anything that is touted as a healthier diet. Possibly because it is considered healthier, or possibly because they don't feel well and want to do something about it.

So basically the gluten-free diet does not "belong" to us, the celiacs in the world. We have the most medical need for it perhaps, but others need it for other reasons besides celiac. I think one of the great things about us (celiacs) and the gluten-free diet, is that we can share our knowledge about eating better with other people who want to try the gluten-free diet. We all know how useless it is going to doctors or most nutritionists for gluten-free advice. There are some that are good of course. But really living with a gluten-free diet is something we do all day every day, and we know how to do it best.

I think it would be great if we, celiacs, could share that knowledge with other people who may benefit from it. Like people with Crohns' etc or people with Asperger's, or mental issues etc. All might get some benefit from the gluten-free diet. The people who know how to do gluten-free best are us.

• 2 months later...
annegirl Explorer

All I have to say is DON'T EAT the pizza! I haven't had a bad reaction to gluten since last Christmas and some of my other food triggers had gone away so I lied to myself about my sensitivity. I started feeling super fatigued, but excused it away with stress and such (while continuing to eat the pizza). Got more and more tired with a low lying headache every day. Had the pizza at a work function on Friday and am on day 4 of a migraine so bad I can't work. Awesome. My fault, really - but still a huge lesson learned and a good reminder.

cap6 Enthusiast

I read (sorry i don't remember where) that Chuck e Cheese is coming out with a gluten-free pizza that will arrive at their restaurant sealed, to be cooked sealed and delivered to the table sealed with a sealed cutter. Not that this pizza is any tastier but IF this is true it could be an option for a lot of kids/parties etc.

• 4 months later...
mythumpa Newbie

I'm with you, Karen.

Can't seem to get people to understand the following:

Gluten FREE eating means Gluten FREE. FREE of GLUTEN.

ENTIRELY.

It doesn't mean "maybe, kinda, sorta"

It doesn't mean dabbling in it or "gluten lite"

it doesn't mean 4 out of 7 days and on holidays we take breaks.

It doesn't mean use non-gluten grains, but cook with wheat items.

This thinking keeps people sick. blink.gif

And gets us the :rolleyes: and the thinking that this is a fad diet.

I walked through BJs today and looked at the crackers and breads and said to hubs: Holy Crap--that stuff nearly killed me two years ago. ph34r.gif

You are either gluten free or you are not.

No grey area.

On the bus or off the bus.

So....

They make the crust entirely from gluten -free ingredients.

They've tested extensively, and shown that using the same csreens and ovens DOES NOT transfer gluten to the gluten-free base. Employees have been trained to handle the product.

CeliaAct has bilnd-tested samples of the pizza and the max was 7 ppm of gluten (in Europe anything under 200 pm is "gluten free", tho the US hasn't adopted a standard as far as I know)

Many BRAVE very sensitive folks have tried it with no adverse effects.

Any meal not prepared at home is a possible reaction waiting to happen; life is a risk.

I understand your fears (yes, it's the fear of having a horrible reaction that makes you use all those CAPS) but any meal out is a crapshoot. Shouldn't we be applauding the effort? Don't we want these folks to TRY? Doesn't encouraging the effort lead eventually to true gluten-free offerings? "Well, we sold some product this way, maybe more folks will buy more product if we step up our efforts" And sh****ng all over the effort makes them STOP TRYING to offer gluten-free products? "Well, we tried gluten-free, no one bought it. Move on to something else." Let's give it a chance and maybe in 10 years there will be true all-gluten-free restaurants where even the most sensitive can safely eat. We can dream....

Lisa Mentor

I understand your fears (yes, it's the fear of having a horrible reaction that makes you use all those CAPS) but any meal out is a crapshoot. Shouldn't we be applauding the effort? Don't we want these folks to TRY? Doesn't encouraging the effort lead eventually to true gluten-free offerings? "Well, we sold some product this way, maybe more folks will buy more product if we step up our efforts" And sh****ng all over the effort makes them STOP TRYING to offer gluten-free products? "Well, we tried gluten-free, no one bought it. Move on to something else." Let's give it a chance and maybe in 10 years there will be true all-gluten-free restaurants where even the most sensitive can safely eat. We can dream....

:) I AGREE! ;) Progress, may be not for all, but it's still progress. The fine tuning comes with exposure, marketing reports, profits and time. I do think we have a large voice and a big pocket book, at least for the time being.

And welcome mythumpa!

Takala Enthusiast

You wouldn't mind if I dropped one in ten pizzas on the floor in the restaurant kitchen, then. After all, every meal out is a crapshoot. If Domino's and NFCA think it's okay to randomly expose a few celiacs to low levels of gluten, then the rest of the pizza industry shouldn't feel it necessary to be careful about exposing the rest of the pizza eaters to dirt tracked in from the parking lot from the trip to the garbage dumpsters, right ? :rolleyes:

In Europe, studies can be quoted showing that a suspicious number of patients on a 200 ppm gluten free diet do not completely heal up. I wonder why that is. Rhetorically questioning, of course. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

(in Europe anything under 200 pm is "gluten free", tho the US hasn't adopted a standard as far as I know)

under 200 pm? pm? what standard of measurement is that?

Because the celiac researchers are lobbying for a "safe level" of under 20 ppm.

http://medschool.uma...ling_letter.pdf

in any case, glad you could drop in 7 months later---- after I posted the exact same concerns as everyone else. All those comments exactly like mine--and you chose my post to take issue with and comment upon?.

Makes one wonder what that is all about.

Every meal out is a crap shoot? Maybe for you. I choose wisely.

Fast food junk is a lot more hazardous to a celiac. You think they care about taking precautions?

They are the ones who want to get food to you in less than 30 minutes.

I still say this:"we don't use any gluten ingredients" is not necessarily a guarantee of it being gluten free. Cross contamination can make anyone sick. And Domino's pizza is not that great anyway. I didn't eat it before diagnosis.

The good thing about a forum is---everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Best wishes to you.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

UK is 20ppm, not sure elsewhere in Europe. I think the 200 is an outdated figure for UK at least.

I have read that some people find the 20ppm too much. Manufacturers can also use codex starch I think which is a wheat derivative, supposedly safe but again not good for some.

I guess at least we can be grateful for lableing. I'd like to see the actual ppm stated so I could make a choice but I don't rate my chances :)

Gemini Experienced

While eating out has some inherent risks, those risks can be sharply lessened by choosing a better place to eat, where they tend to get the concept of a gluten free meal correct.

I want a restaurant that will get it right, not create something that may be sorta gluten free but really not. It's misleading to the recently diagnosed Celiacs who have no concept of food or what's in it, which we see all the time here. The words that stand out are GLUTEN FREE, and Dominio's does not make a gluten free pizza that Celiac's or the severely sensitive can eat, without damaging their health. Maybe if it were taken more seriously, I wouldn't get dumb ass questions when I eat out that ask how sensitive I am? When I come into a restaurant with an advertized gluten free product/menu, I expect it to be taken seriously and have them get it right. If a restaurant isn't serious about getting it right (it is a medcial diet, after all) then don't bother. Doing something half ass is not paving the way for Celiacs to have more options...it discredits their serious condition and their attempts to be as gluten free as possible.

Domino's pizza is crap. If you want gluten-free pizza, there are enough other places that take it seriously where you can eat and not react.

HowdySunshine Rookie

I concur with you PricklyPear. This is marketing targeted at the casual gluten free diet fad crowd. A serious celiac wouldn't be able to make use of this until they had dedicated equipment to make the gluten free pizzas on. Possibility of cross contamination is just too high.