This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Domino's "Gluten Free" Crust

1974girl

Scott Adams Grand Master

Here is my post on NFCA's Facebook page just now:

post-2-0-33944200-1336678466_thumb.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

• IrishHeart

• Scott Adams

• kareng

Top Posters In This Topic

• pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 17 posts

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 15 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 14 posts

• kareng

kareng 14 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master

Here is my post on NFCA's Facebook page just now:

post-2-0-33944200-1336678466_thumb.webp

When I tried to view I got this:

[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment

sa1937 Community Regular

I got the same message. I have screen shots of my two comments but have no clue how to post them (they're saved on my desktop for now). Would we have to upload them to photo bucket or one of those sites?

kareng Grand Master

I got the same message. I have screen shots of my two comments but have no clue how to post them (they're saved on my desktop for now). Would we have to upload them to photo bucket or one of those sites?

I don't know! :blink: I don't know how to screen print. I have no key for that, so I suppose I need to know the magic incantation for it?

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't know! :blink: I don't know how to screen print. I have no key for that, so I suppose I need to know the magic incantation for it?

Hold down the ALT button and press Print Screen (which is above the numeric thingie on my keyboard. Then I took it into a graphics program and right clicked "Paste as New Image". I happen to use Paint Shop Pro. Sorry, I have a feeling this is clear as mud. blink.gif

Scott Adams Grand Master

I just posted this on Domino's Facebook page:

I believe you are misusing the term "gluten-free" in a way that could lead to those with celiac disease being injured. Are you aware that McDonald's was sued for less, and that it nearly became a class action lawsuit against them? Read more at:http://www.celiac.co...eful/Page1.htmlDomino's Pizza Now Offers "Almost" Gluten-Free Pizza (So Be Careful!) - Celiac.comwww.celiac.comI have a big issue with what I believe to be a misleading headline in a recent j...See More

post-2-0-25929500-1336679706_thumb.webp

sa1937 Community Regular

I just posted this on Domino's Facebook page:

post-2-0-25929500-1336679706_thumb.webp

I got the same board message as Karen and I did previously

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Ok, I hope this works for you, but follow these steps:

• After you hit print screen or Function & Print Screen, you need to open up a photo editor like photoshop, then open a new file and hit Control V or paste (the image is saved on your clipboard). You should then be able to save it to your local computer, and remember the location you save it to.
  • Click "use the full editor" button to add the it to a post here.
  • Click "Choose File" then "Attach This File"
  • Then you will see that it was uploaded just below the text box, and click "Add to Post"

IrishHeart Veteran

me too. Won't let me read it. :(

Simona19 Collaborator

I just saw some post that people were writing on Domino's FB wall. They are very interesting.

Even people with celiac disease are trying this new pizza and are happy with it because nothing happened to them after eating it.

Currently they have 121 post.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I just saw some post that people were writing on Domino's FB wall. They are very interesting.

Even people with celiac disease are trying this new pizza and are happy with it because nothing happened to them after eating it.

Currently they have 121 post.

Just waaaaaiiiitttt......

I saw one post where an NCGI ate it and got sick.

Give it a few weeks.

IrishHeart Veteran

someone on that FB page wrote:

" I didn't know that symptoms of Celiac's disease included being extra complainy"

(it's gone now)

You ass hat.

A woman who says she has celiac disease said: "I can eat small amounts and not notice anything, so this is great".

:blink:

One more: " To all those people saying "What's the point?", not everyone who is gluten sensitive has Celiac disease. Like me, I can't eat gluten, or I will get sick, so this is perfect for me! "

Whaaa?? Idiots.

here's the deal:

People will eat it.

People will get sick.

so be it.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

OK I've got to defend Domino's (at least a little). My son is not celiac, he is on a gluten-free diet for his autism. We have discovered that he can handle limited amounts of gluten, so we don't worry excessively about CC. We see behavior changes when he gets a lot of it (i.e. several meals or days in a row) but can do the occasional birthday cake or grilled cheese sandwich with no problem. So in theory, this would be a way that he could have pizza from a restaurant and still "keep his gluten down."

I definitely understand what you all are saying, particularly the concerns of people with Celiac who see the words "gluten free" and assume that it's safe. I think there is a market for what Domino's is doing, but I can't imagine that my son's situation is all that common.

mushroom Proficient

OK I've got to defend Domino's (at least a little). My son is not celiac, he is on a gluten-free diet for his autism. We have discovered that he can handle limited amounts of gluten, so we don't worry excessively about CC. We see behavior changes when he gets a lot of it (i.e. several meals or days in a row) but can do the occasional birthday cake or grilled cheese sandwich with no problem. So in theory, this would be a way that he could have pizza from a restaurant and still "keep his gluten down."

I definitely understand what you all are saying, particularly the concerns of people with Celiac who see the words "gluten free" and assume that it's safe. I think there is a market for what Domino's is doing, but I can't imagine that my son's situation is all that common.

That's fine if they call it something other than gluten free and it is not endorsed by any celiac organization.

Lisa Mentor

Kelly, I agree!

But there is a small pocket of people who will benefit, as your family. For those with a limited gluten sensitivity, this is good news. I mention this in my first post here.

And it will get the fad-gluten-free-dieters.

I think it's the marketing ploy that is disturbing most of us, as mushroom indicated.

IrishHeart Veteran

That's fine if they call it something other than gluten free and it is not endorsed by any celiac organization.

This is what got me all "hot under the collar" as well.

jess-gf Explorer

Just wanted to add, if you're using a Mac you can take two types of screenshots: Shift-Cmd-3 will take a screenshot of your whole screen and save it to your desktop. Shift-cmd-4 will take a screenshot of an area that you select on your screen, and then save it to your desktop. Since image attachments don't seem to be working correctly on the forums, you can use a hosting service like http://tinypic.com/ or http://imageshack.us/ to upload them.

kareng Grand Master
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Bravo, Dr. Fasano!

BabsV Enthusiast

I posted Dr. Fasano's press release on the Domino's facebook page. Wonder how long before they delete it!

hexon Rookie

I posted Dr. Fasano's press release on the Domino's facebook page. Wonder how long before they delete it!

I don't see it so I'm assuming it got deleted. It's really annoying seeing lots of negative comments and then look back the next day and seeing tons of positive comments. It's just dishonest.

kareng Grand Master

Good job, Babs! :D

kareng Grand Master

From Gluten Intolerance Group FB :

Open Letter to Alice Bast, Exec Director, NFCA

May 12, 2012

Alice,

NFCA needs to remove the Amber designation from the Dominos "gluten-free" pizza. It is not safe for anyone requiring a gluten-free diet for medical reasons. NFCA's reputation as a respected organization is suffering by giving a useless Amber designation to Domino's gluten-free pizza. I implore you to consider the community we all support and want to help. Make the GREAT Kitchen's Amber designation disappear for good.

There is inherent liability in the GREAT Kitchens Amber designation that will have serious ramifications to the food industry and those of us who are working to make a difference for all persons living gluten free.

1. Dividing the gluten free community is wrong. All persons living a gluten-free life style should have the same safe options in foods. Nearly the entire world accepts a definition for what gluten-free means. Stricter is better, but less than the standard is unacceptable. It goes against everything science tells us.

2. The GREAT Kitchens Amber sign is a useless designation for restaurants that causes confusion and consequently mistrust of the restaurant industry and the organizations who are working so hard to help them. The Amber designation sets us back years on all the strides we have made to get the food industry to embrace safe gluten-free foods.

Thursday night I listened to the Jules' Gluten-Free Radio talk show with you as her guest. I have tried to make sense of your position for the GREAT Kitchens program Amber designation. I cannot understand why you are so passionate about a decal that sends mixed messages. The decal clearly states "GLUTEN-FREE" and 'Kitchen practices may vary". In a press release, you state NFCA

bakerboysmama Newbie

On gaurd celiacs! Dominos adventure into gluten free cooking is dangerous...What safegaurds them from lawsuits is in their manual, stating that it is only to be referred to as a "gluten-free crust". Once that crust leaves the wrapper it is no longer a safe gluten-free pizza. Upon visiting a local Dominos I witnessed first hand the preparation process. The gluten-free pizza crust was on a shelf where all other gluten containing items were. They use the same topping buckets, utensils, spoons, pizza cutters, and spatulas. I was horrified!

This stunt sets gluten free standards back and dummies down the seriousness of a safe gluten-free environment. Watch out, others will be joining in soon. This will make it 10 times more difficult for Celiacs and Gluten intolerant people to safely enjoy gluten-free dining in a safe and healthy way. If a standard is raised and met by domino's they will be my hero...If they do not, they will be hurting hundreds of thousands of people...unforgivable!

Scott Adams Grand Master

I agree...big companies like this want to cash in now on the gluten-free market, even if they can't really offer something gluten-free. I still can't believe that the NFCA backs this, but am really glad to see Dr. Fasano and the GIG take the correct side here, as this is really a serious set back, rather than a step forward. I don't think that Domino's understands that McDonald's was sued for much less than what is going on here when they used to call their French fries gluten-free (which they likely are, but they have wheat in a flavoring ingredient in the hydrolyzed form--and the do use dedicated vats, at least by company policy). Anyway, McDonald's quit using the term "gluten-free" on their fries after that. In this case the contamination issues are already known--Domino's admits it up front--yet they are still using the term. They'd better get all people who buy this to sign a waiver, as I can smell a lawsuit coming!