• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Guillermo Saenz

• Topics

• One other thought to consider is other food allergies/intolerances you may have that you didn’t know of before that could be causing this change.  Is there any food that you may have added in or increased the frequency of eating since removing gluten from your diet?  I know this has happened with me where I took our gluten, started eating more rice and still getting sick till I figured out I have a rice allergy as well!
    • Hey I’m new here too- but totally get what your talking about! I have some friends that claim to be ‘gluten free’ but if they are hungry will eat a piece of bread and it can be frustrating to have them later complain to you about how hard it is to eat a gluten-free diet!
    • I get how you feel, I was diagnosed almost 5 years ago and still find challenges to overcome especially when traveling with my friends.  I get the feeling that sometimes it can seem to overshadow your life, but for me it has really shown me who some of my closest friends are as well.   My friends always find it funny and joke that I eat my way thru school classes, because I ALWAYS have ‘me proof’ snacks on me to eat so I’m never hungry when I’m away from home for longer than I thought, or can’t get food while we’re on the go!!
    • Sure, you should consider getting tested for celiac disease.  There is no test for Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance or Sensivity.  However, you have to be consuming gluten daily for at least 12 weeks as ALL celiac tests require you to be consuming gluten.   Learn more about testing: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/
    • Welcome Isabel!   It is hard having celiac disease, but after a while it does get easier.  Just so you know, I am an adult, but I am a Girl Scout Leader, have a daughter who is 16 and one of my daughter’s friends was just diagnosed with celiac disease just three weeks ago!   Social events can be hard, but you can bring some food that is actually better than just snacks.  If I am going to a friends house, I can bring food and reheat it in the microwave.  I also have a good thermos that I can fill with Spaghetti, chili or soup.  I also bring ice cream and keep it in the freezer.  One of our troop members is really allergic  to nuts and milk, yet all her friends (true friends) accommodate her.  For example, I make some pretty good gluten free, dairy free, and nut free brownies for her.  At our troop meetings or camping, we never bring nuts.  She is never left out.  Now, we are working with our Newbie celiac friend.   My daughter and I took her a care package, so that she can start baking gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.   Short!  That is me.  Not everyone with celiac disease is short.  You may find that you end up growing more, but remember, genetics plays into it too.  My brother grew after high school!   I think that you probably see your doctor often, because they want to insure that you are following the gluten free diet.  Consider yourself lucky because some people do not have access to medical care.  They must manage this all on their own.   Take care and be safe!  Do not give out too much private information (did I say I was a Mom?”)  be patient and some other teens should show up in the other sections, but you can always ask anyone here a question.   P.S. Check out celiac summer camps.  Google it.  Imagine a ton of kids just like you!    I wanna go!    
  • Upcoming Events