This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hershey Park

Victoria6102

Victoria6102 Contributor

Im going to Hershey park on Friday, so would greatly appreciate any replies you could give before then! Thanks!

It says on their website that they have trained their staff about CC and that they have separate utensils for the gluten free foods. There are 10 restaurants there that offer gluten-free menus and some have gluten-free pizzas desserts and buns. But do they have dedicated gluten-free kitchen space?

Can I trust this? I'm super careful like I'm supposed to be and have my own pans at home, if my food touches the counter I don't eat it, I use parchment paper on my pans to bake cookies, etc. So will their standards be safe for me? What are your experiences?

And also it says that you can't bring any of your own food in. I'm anemic and still sickly and need snacks to ward off nausea and lightheadedness every hour or two. And I'd like to bring my own lunch in case. I read online that you have to get a special disability band from guest services before you enter if you want to bring in your own food due to food allergies. I feel that that is absurd and wrong. I'll do of if I have to so I can eat safely but I don't want to have to wear a band all day that says I'm in need of special treatment. Ok sorry so any opinions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Get the band - find out what you need to do to get it. You won't really know if the food is safe til you see what they do and talk to them.

BabsV Enthusiast

Wow, nice that they offer the band option. I've seen other parks that say you can't bring food in, full stop.

I doubt anyone will be paying attention to the band other than those who have been trained to recognize it. And if you want the safety net of bringing in your own food it seems like a small price to pay.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

You can trust the food at Hersheypark. They have seperate spaces for the gluten free food. It takes a little longer because they make it when its ordered but it's worth it. If you have more questions, send me a personal message. I prefer not to post a lot of my personal stuff on this board but I'm 100% that you can trust it based on my experience. Also, if you don't want to get the band, you can re-enter the park with a hand stamp, so you can leave your food in your car and go back and get some if you want. I'm not sure why you feel like it's absurd and wrong to get a band to allow you to bring food in, a lot of places won't let you do that at all, no one knows what these bands are (guest wise), it's a way to look out for you.

Victoria6102 Contributor

Sorry I'm feeling more sane today, and your right the bands aren't that bad I guess. Just after all the research I was doing online and then when I called they couldn't give me any information. They were very unhelpful and almost rude. I was just upset I guess. :P sorry! Thanks :)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Typically they're not ever rude or unhelpful, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. The Park just opened for the summer, so they're training some new folks and maybe they're overwhelmed...which is no excuse however. I love the chicken tenders and the gluten free pizza, Minetown Restaurant is one of the better places to sit and eat and relax. Boardwalk fries are gluten free as are a lot of the ice cream places. Granted it's your choice on the level of your comfort if you choose to eat there or not but when the park is open, I eat there weekly and have never once gotten sick. They are very well trained (yes even for highschool and college students) and I've never been so willing to recommend something before. I don't know if you have other intolerences or anything and I certainly understand if you don't feel comfortable but they really do a decent job at making gluten free people feel like they have options!

Victoria6102 Contributor

Ok, I went to Hershey park on Saturday. I know it was only the second day it was open but their staff was not educated very much about celiac and gluten free. A stand said it had gluten free options but when I asked, the cashier said "what?" I said "gluten free" she continued asking what I meant and she said she had no idea what I was talking about.

Then I went to the mine town restaurant for lunch. When I asked about the gluten free menu, they had to go through 3 people to find someone who could help me. I asked for the gluten free fries and was asking about their process of cooking them, and they were laughing at me. I asked them to parchment paper on the pan cuz I dont share pans. They laughed but said they would do it. They were not very nice, hopefully as the season goes on they will become more educated and able to serve the customers better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

That's very odd. I eat there weekly and I've never had this experience. I've forwarded your post to the appropriate people.

Victoria6102 Contributor

Ok. Maybe it was just because they were new at the job and weren't educated about celiac yet. Glad you don't have any problems! I did not get sick so they prepared the food correctly but the service was the part that bothered me.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

They're all educated about food allergies and what products they have before they start on the job. You might've been the first person this season to ask them about it but nonetheless, they shouldn't have been doing anything that made you feel uncomfortable. I'm glad you didn't get sick, I would've been very surprised if you did. Please don't let that one experience drive you away from visiting the Park again, they really are usually very on top of things and very good!

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Huh. I came to the travel thread just to post about Hershey Park, bc my son was there on a class trip this week and had a great experience. Ate at Minetown and had hotdogs and cookies, which came wrapped up so he didn't worry about contamination (he did not eat the hotdog in a bun, although they offered). He brought food with him in his backpack and no one questioned it; he also did not have to wear any sort of band (which I agree is a dismal idea). The manager brought him his food and made sure it was to his liking. I'm hoping you got a weird untrained person, but usually they are more helpful.

lpellegr Collaborator

I hope it worked out for you. I had a great experience at Hershey, and the best gluten-free pizza I've ever had, including my homemade. If you're in the area, try Dorney Park as well. Not as many gluten-free options, but enough to survive on for the day, especially the fresh-cut french fries.

Archived