• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Turns Out It Is Lactose Intolerance

2 posts in this topic

USF1970    1

At the first of the year I posted that after 12 years of being my doc's 'most compliant celiac disease patient' I was losing weight and as a result of an endoscope my villa was once again flattened/blunted. I was having mild stomach discomfort and I blamed it on cc w/such items as BRM hot rice cereal and UDI bread. Now that I'm lactose free, I can once again eat those items (however Tinkyada pasta still causes diarrhea and bloating). My question is this.......lactose intolerance can cause weight loss but does it also cause villa damage? My doc did some blood work and he said my celiac disease numbers are very low, whatever that means.....I'm continuing on and trying not to worry about the intestinal issues. I'm not losing weight anymore but I'm not gaining either(thank you....). Just curious. As always, many thanks for everyone's input.

Linda in Savannah, GA

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

mushroom    1,205

According to the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "The flattened or blunted intestinal surface has been reported in innumerable disease states: infectious heptitis, ulcerative colitis, parasitic infections of the intestine including various types of worms and one-celled parasites, kwashiorkor, soy protein intolerance, intolerance to cow's milk protein, intractable diarrhea of infancy, Chron's disease, and bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine". This appears on page 41.

It stands to reason that if your villi are blunted you will be lactose intolerant. But are you casein intolerant, since casein is the protein fraction of cow's milk which Elaine says can cause villous flattening. On the other hand, you may not tolerate soy, which could have flattened the villi and made you unable to digest the lactose. Or you could have one of the other conditions she mentions. What other testing did your doctor do?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    GoForIt112

• Topics

• Welcome!   Here is a link to our Newbie 101 thread that you might find useful.   I can only comment on those foods that I have in my home or have purchased. 1.  Nutella is and it states it in the label. 2.  Skippy PB is gluten-free (not stated, but ingrediants are). 3.  Soy sauce.  It should state it on the label as gluten free or do not eat it.   Most soy sauce is NOT gluten free as it contains wheat.   4.  Maple syrup is gluten-free if it is pure (only one ingrediant).  Otherwise read the ingredients. 5.  Fresh minced meat should be gluten-free if you prepared and cross contamination did not occur in your kitchen (e.g. Pot, cutting board, etc.).  Not sure if this is a canned product. Bottom line is that you have to read labels carefully.  In the beginning it is best to eat fresh foo you prepared.  The. Add in processed food as you learn to read labels and determine if you have other intolerances to foods other than gluten (very common for celiacs or NCGI).  
    • In the beginning, you might find ANY gluten free bread abhorrent.  So, you might wait a few months to give yourself time to forget what wheat bread tasted like. 
    • In my brief research, I did not find any public papers indicating villi blunting for Losartan specifically.   There was research and a law suit on olmesartan (other celiac.com members have pointed out).  Dr. Hart may have been making clinical observations or has access to medical research that is not public (or free).  He is/was located at the University of Chicago.   Are you still having GI symptoms despite the gluten free diet and your supplements?   If not, this BP drug may not be affecting you.  I understand your concern, so you might talk with your doctor or pharmacist about an alternative drug or re-visit the need to take this drug.  Make sure they know all the supplements you are taking in addition to other prescription drugs.   Talk also with your GI about your suspected or continued malabsorption issues.   Have you had follow-up biopsies?   I understand your concern.  I hope you find a solution that satisfies you and your doctor.    
    • I did find a local store that carries the Canyon House brand and will give that a try.  It can be tough as I live in a fairly rural area and we don't have a lot of the resources many of the more urban areas do. It is a 1 hour round trip just to get to the closest town with anything like a Trader Joe's or New Earth Grocery.  One of out 2 health food stores in town even closed down a few years ago ands this town is full of Seventh Day Adventists that do a lot of shopping at health food stores.  Most of my shopping will likely be done online at Amazon, but there is much more availability at even SaveMart and Safeway nowadays.
    • Hello, Often drugs that end in –artan are ARBs, and they work by blocking the angiotensin receptors. I’m not sure what the exact difference is between the two medications you mention, though. Have you called the manufacturer of losartan to see if any of the fillers contain gluten? It might be a good idea to know what those fillers are. In my drug book “dyspepsia” and “gastritis” are mentioned as side effects, but they did not drill down to the specificity of villous blunting. I did some googling, and in addition to what Knitty found, I came across this: Small Bowel Histopathologic Findings Suggestive of Celiac Disease in an Asymptomatic Patient Receiving Olmesartan “Although Rubio-Tapia et al are careful to avoid claiming a proven causal relationship between olmesartan therapy and the observed spruelike enteropathy, the data are highly suggestive of more than just a coincidental association. “They further suggest that a potential mechanism for the enteropathy could relate to inhibitory effects of angiotensin II receptor antagonists on transforming growth factor β action because transforming growth factor β is important in gut immune homeostasis. “Although anecdotal, these observations lead to the hypothesis that olmesartan, and perhaps other angiotensin II receptor antagonists, could be a cause of intraepithelial lymphocytosis in architecturally preserved proximal small intestinal mucosa.” (One of the patients in question was offered the opportunity to do a gluten-free diet, but he/she declined.) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3547582/ So, it looks like you are definitely on to something, and if this turns out to be a “thing,” would probably warrant dissemination on a wider scale. You didn't mention what your BP is with the medication or was without it, but please let your health care provider know if you do decide to discontinue your blood pressure medication. It's often recommended not to DQ suddenly, which can cause the BP to spike in some cases. Plumbago   ETA: Just because a drug can cause a particular side effect does not mean it does in your case. I just thought I'd add that, but nevertheless totally and completely understand the cause of concern in any case.  
  • Upcoming Events