This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Used To Make Cakes...now What?

Motherbird7

Motherbird7 Rookie

I started making cakes last year. I found I really enjoyed the decorating aspect, especially modeling chocolate. I found I might have a real talent for it (lots to learn and practice though) but I am not an enthusiastic or patient baker. In fact, discovering I have celiac a few months ago has been freeing because I no longer have the pressure to make cakes for people who were asking. For my sister's graduation I bought a costco cake(for the BBQ guests) and some gluten free cupcakes (she is also celiac) and used gluten free fondant decorations to personalize them. It was very enjoyable so I think I may skip the baking aspect altogether and not miss it but I want to keep decorating.

My question is, I have frosting tips, modeling tools, cutters, cutting boards and candy molds. I tossed the modeling sponges already and gave away my baking pans because they had a rolled edge I didn't trust. Can I wash these other things well enough to be gluten safe? Or do I need to start over with my collection? I wouldn't be entirely unhappy with doing that but my husband might... I am moving so it will all be packed at least 3 months until we find a new house, does that help?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

It depends. Can you thoroughly clean them? I scrubbed my pans with Bon ami and soap, sometimes with a toothbrush. Decorating items like push cylinders/frosting bags may be tougher. If you can scrub it, try it. If its dishwasher safe try that. I scrubbed my rolled-edge springform pans with a toothbrush and so far so good.

If you have scratched surfaces thats what you need to look out for.

And you can use box mixes for the cakes. King Arthur makes a fabulous chocolate cake mix.

Motherbird7 Rookie

Thanks pricklypear1971

1971 was a good year for me too! :) Yes, the items I have chosen to keep I can thoroughly clean. I guess I was not sure if that was enough or if there would be a residue I couldn't see. Anything with a too tight place I can't get to is going to be replaced, like my rotary cutter. I only use disposable bags anyway so that makes that easy. I do have a cylinder tool that will be hard to clean but since it only had fondant in it which I have since found out was gluten free and I never used it when I was baking with flour, I think it is fine. Only used it twice anyway.

Gluten comes off with soap and hot water... I have some cookie sheets I could replace but since I put parchment on them for baking gluten-free stuff anyway, what's the point? I'll get around to it eventually.

mushroom Proficient

I would encourage you to continue making your cakes, using the mixes at first until you become more experienced at gluten free baking. One of our forum members has a gluten free cake business baking special birthday (and other occasion) cakes. She makes the most fabulous creations.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't think you need to replace everything. My rule of thumb was that if I could get it clean, I kept it. If not, out it went. But then I had some really ancient pans. So I found an excuse to buy new.

I doubt your frosting tips would be a danger. At least I never made decorator icing that had flour in it.

I kept my cookie sheets as they had only been lightly used and I love parchment paper as cookies don't stick to it.

Prickley's suggestion of using King Arthur gluten-free cake mix is a good one. While I didn't make it, the chocolate cake is to die for!

I don't think you need to replace everything. My rule of thumb was that if I could get it clean, I kept it. If not, out it went. But then I had some really ancient pans. So I found an excuse to buy new.

I doubt your frosting tips would be a danger. At least I never made decorator icing that had flour in it.

I kept my cookie sheets as they had only been lightly used and I love parchment paper as cookies don't stick to it.

Prickley's suggestion of using King Arthur gluten-free cake mix is a good one. While I didn't make it, the chocolate cake is to die for!

I just checked and they do have a yellow mix, too. That chocolate is GREAT.

I'm going to look for the yellow at Whole Foods next time... I think I looked last time but didn't see it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I just checked and they do have a yellow mix, too. That chocolate is GREAT.

I'm going to look for the yellow at Whole Foods next time... I think I looked last time but didn't see it.

Their gluten-free yellow cake mix is a new product.

Their gluten-free yellow cake mix is a new product.

I am looking forward to being a taste tester :).

Motherbird7 Rookie

Alright, you have all been so helpful, but now I am hungry for cake too! lol I will check out the cake mixes you have so temptingly recommended.

I was at Whole Foods today and asked about the yellow mix. The guy said they aren't approved to sell it - I believe that applies to all stores, but anyway, just an FYI.

I may order a box, since I'm not interested in perfecting a yellow cake recipe. I know, lazy - but I just don't bake with grains enough now to care.

I generally do flourless stuff and nut cakes/cupcakes; however, if I need to do something like a birthday cake, etc. I need something that can fool people. Not to mention not spend a fortune of nut/coconut flour for people who don't care what they're eating.

sillyken Enthusiast

The BEST cake mix I have found to date is the 123 Gluten free bunt pound cake mix. It is rich and moist like I remember cakes made from scratch. Check it out.

Archived