This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Slowest Reaction Times?

Strawberry-Jam

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

just wondering what the slowest possible reaction times to gluten are? I've heard 48 hrs, can it be slower? or say certain symptoms show up at first, then others several days or even a week later?

curious because I for sure got glutened on a Sunday by eating a gluten-free item that had been sitting on a piece of NOT gluten-free bread and handled by people eating wheat items (I was peer-pressured into eating it)

didn't notice symptoms right away. maybe mild symptoms like fatigue/headaches/muscle aches after the 24/48 hr mark. Then, on Sunday next, I got D and I still have it today (Monday)

but the D might could be caused by an overdose of bananas and nuts I ate over the past few days

just wondering if you can be "glutened" by something you ate a week ago...?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

Every one is different .

My reaction to gluten is D starting at about 26-28 hours after exposure.

Then the rest of the fun begins :blink: .The muscle aches, fatigue, DH , loss of balance and other wonderful reactions can hang around for a long time.

I would wonder about the bananas.

Carebear Apprentice

I get some symptoms immediately, and that begins the cascade. The digestive stuff usually takes 2-3 days to show up. I do find that the longer I go without glutening myself, the longer it takes for the symptoms to show up. If it's traces, by the time I figure it out it's a reaction within 2 hours!

I also find that certain foods bother me for a few weeks after I've been glutened, and will give me D (fructose - that makes sense of course, but also beets, peanuts, and a few other random things). Maybe you just stressed out your system while it was recovering?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If I eat something with low level contamination for several days, it can take a week or even longer before I notice that it is bothering me. That's why I try to only add one new thing per week.

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

I had indigestion Sunday night, neck pain and slight heartburn yesterday, and today I am so exhausted. I still don't know what got me. I have been gluten-free as of two weeks tomorrow. I hope it gets easier.

MitziG Enthusiast

It gets easier. :)

Yes, reacting several days or a week later is a possibility, for the same reason that when some of us are glutened, we feel the effects for 1-3 weeks. Gluten takes awhile to get out of your body, and your body is in a major adjustment period. It is gonna be wacky for a few months!

benXX Rookie

... but the D might could be caused by an overdose of bananas ...

D from bananas? Those things are well known for their constipating effect

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

D from bananas? Those things are well known for their constipating effect

That may be true but I react with D if I consume to many . But , for me,it happens with most fruits so it may be the fructose .

Archived