• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Help With A Shopping List Please!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So, I'm returning to the US next month and will be visiting relatives for several weeks. My almost 70-year old mom is being great...cleaning out her kitchen, removing all her baking ingredients, etc. Since we're going to be arriving after a long trip from E. Europe I want to give her a list of items to pick up for the first couple of days -- sticking to basics like rice, meat, etc.

In some ways this will be like shopping right after diagnosis because I have no clue about what to tell her to buy for me. Ack! What brands of meat (chicken, turkey, beef) do you all buy? Where I am they inject most meats with additives that contain gluten so I'm somewhat leery of meat at this point but desperate to eat something other than fish. She's going to check to see about availability of organic meat but I don't want to send her off hunting stuff down if she can pick something up at Safeway like Tysons!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I bought all of this today, at a "regular" grocery store.

As far as meats - fresh meats are usually fine with a few caveats...

1) I don't buy pork with injected solutions. The solutions are usually gluten-free but I don't want the sodium or additives so I buy pork at natural markets where it isn't injected. Packaging will clearly state if it is injected with a solution.

2) chicken can have injected solutions, but you can usually find brands without it at the regular grocery store. Again, packaging clearly marked. Some packages will say "may contain retained water" and that's fine. Tell her to look out for "solution".

3) molded or formed meats and meat glue. Gross. Tell her not to buy prepackaged filet mignon, etc (packaged from a manufacturer not the grocer). There is one type of meat glue that contains gluten but it's used in noodles, but others contain milk. I don't think they have to say "glue" but will say molded or formed.

I buy Boars Head lunch meat and cheese - all of it is gluten-free but if she buys it freshly sliced she must ask them to clean the slicer first. It is also available prepacked from BH.

Hormel Naturals also makes a decent gluten-free bacon.

And here is IH's Newbie 101 thread. Lots of products here.

Thanks! I'll pass along the info to my mother. Can't wait to hit a US grocery store and see all the stuff I can eat which currently isn't available to me...chicken, beef, bacon, ham plus labels. In English! With allergy labels!!! My God, I am going to be giddy with delight.

Plus I found a shop in Medford that has tons of gluten-free foods...I try to avoid replacement foods but hey, I might treat myself to some gluten-free bread or a doughnut.

Ads by Google:

I buy fresh whole chicken where I shop, Bell and Evans is the brand and I think it is good, safe, antibiotic-free and growth hormone-free. They have an organic version also but it is a little more expensive so I usually just get the regular. I am not affiliated with Bell and Evans, just a customer. Thanks.