This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Try Oats.....

beebs

Lisa Mentor

Doc Osborn who has youtube videos about living gluten-free free has suggested that corn may not be ok for all who are gluten sensitive.

Isn't this the chiropractor, who wants to be the new gluten free guru? B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Dani, every time I scroll down and see your picture I think, "What a very pretty woman!" I'm sure everyone here will agree with me. Feeling pretty good, but my thinning hair is making it harder and harder to look good every day. (Time to start looking at wigs I guess. :huh: )

She IS a pretty woman. :)

Yeah, I have to agree. I am still battling the hair thing and the "I look so old thing"....

then again, someone said recently, OMG! you look 10 years younger...but if I looked 10 years older when I was sick...hey! that just puts me right back where I was before I got sick... hey!!!! :(:lol:

but yes, we are off topic...back to oats!!!

cahill Collaborator

I have been gluten free since 2009 and soy free since 2010 . I just recently reintroduced gluten free oats. I reacted so strongly it took me two weeks to even begin to function again.

I am a celiac that can not eat oats. I also do not tolerate most grains.

I can rotate corn in my diet occasionally but not on a daily basis . The only grain I eat on a regular basis is rice.

WinterSong Community Regular

I was really scared to try oatmeal, but I did just fine with the certified gluten-free oats. Love it!!!

dani nero Community Regular

Bartful & IH, I'm sure you're both pretty beautiful as well :-) Thanks *red face*

IrishHeart Veteran

Bartful & IH, I'm sure you're both pretty beautiful as well :-) Thanks *red face*

I dunno...hold on, I'll ask hubs...."babes, am I beautiful?"

...wait for it.

He says "Yes, dear".

:lol:

lucky97 Explorer

So from what I see here, oats might give a digestive issue, but no damage? So maybe, seeing I don't get much by way of digestive issues, I might be able to eat them? It's been almost a year gluten-free now. I think I may just try oats, and if they work, I can get oat flour?

Now, something a bit off topic:

Dani, every time I scroll down and see your picture I think, "What a very pretty woman!" I'm sure everyone here will agree with me. Your old picture was nice, but this new one is even better. I just wanted to let you know. We all need a lift from time to time, and I hope this puts a smile on your face. You may not FEEL good, but you LOOK good. I'm just the opposite today. Feeling pretty good, but my thinning hair is making it harder and harder to look good every day. (Time to start looking at wigs I guess. :huh: )

That's a new one to me...gluten free oats (like Bob's Red Mill) can give some Celiacs "digestive issues," but that is not to be confused with being "glutened" and introducing something damaging to your intestinal tract? How in the world do you tell the difference? Unless you can look inside your intestines, I don't think you can.

I have had Bob's Red Mill oats and have felt fine, even within 6 months of going gluten free. How do I know I'm not causing damage down there with this food (but to be honest I don't eat it a lot)?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I don't love oats - but to be honest, I despise rice porridge and most bread and all that stuff= so I am finding breakfast really hard - especially to find something filling. Arrghh.

Try teff porridge- I adore it. I get the whole grain teff from BRM, I only loosely follow the directions though. It's filling, more nutritious than oatmeal, and tasty!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Beebs, here is some interesting research on oats.

Some people react to Avenin in oats.

"There may exist a sub-set of celiacs who also have avenin-reactive mucosal T-cells, avenin being the oat counterpart to wheat's gliadin". You can read more here:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/840/1/Oats-Intolerance-in-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Also:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I've only read the first article so far, but this is enough for me to stay away from oats. I've always been a subscriber to the 'better safe than sorry' school of thought. I also have never tried oats, they were not considered safe when I started the gluten free diet, and I never bought the whole 'we think it's safe now' thing. I need to have it proven to me, I'm so demanding! :P

Victoria6102 Contributor

When I posted a topic awhile ago saying that I accidentally ate oats and it gave me GI symptoms, people replied and said that if oats do bother me, they will damage md like gluten. Now I'm confused? Can anyone clarify?

Archived