• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Alicia1975

• Topics

• trents and Tony G, see the canadian site that lists many updated resources. it is rare but does happen (oats sensitivity) in a small number celiac's.  I didnt' see what percent that was though. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/public-involvement-partnerships/consultation-celiac-disease-gluten-free-claims-uncontaminated-oats/consultation.html the gluten free society summarizes the "oats" issue well. https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/are-oats-safe-to-eat-on-a-gluten-free-diet/ quoting "The studies above were all published after Jan. of 2011.  In medicine, it can take 20-30 years for new information to become common knowledge among doctors.  So I don’t expect that many physicians will be talking about the potential for oat to be a problem for those with gluten sensitivity." and they term it a "subgroup" as often is the case many times we as patients often know our bodies better than the doctor's do. Tony G as for the mouth uclers. swilling with salt water will help them go away quicker. but taking the amino acid Lysine will help your ulcers/caneker sours stay in remission.  take it 1000mg at a time with each meal and 3 or 4 days they will mostly go away especially if you use the salt water method with the lysine. you can take lysine ahead of an outbreak too to keep them at bay. ***this is not medical advice but I hope it is helpful. I only know it helped me. I used to take Lysine but don't need it much anymore these days. your arginine/lysine balance is out of wack.  You can google it. oh . . the red sauce (tomatoes) you described is exactly what caused my mouth to be sore/raw right before an out brake.  I usually could take them for a a week until they went away on their own unless they got on my tongue and then only eating one side was more than I could bare and out would come the lysine and salt water. . .  Until I learned to take it (lysine) to keep them at bay and my lysine/arginine ratios  in balance. again I hope this is helpful. posterboy,
    • The first symptoms I noticed were giant hives on feet, palms, scalp, and down spine, that would leave  extremely painful areas after disappearing. The were preceded by a metallic taste in the mouth. dermatitis herpetiformis on both arms and ankles. heart palpitations, foot drop, numb hands, hemorrhoids, pain in cecum area, the usual stool problems with extremes of both. Severe pain in all my broken bones and old injuries. Eye twitching. I did an elimination diet starting with gluten. Angioedema went away immediately, but other problems persisted. Cut out all grains soy and dairy, and other symptoms went away except for dh. Cut out canola and the dh. went away. Then i bought some store meat, fresh cuts, because I ran out of my homegrown meat, the dh came back, along with the nerve problems, so I quit eating meat until I got a pig back from the butcher. Tied that meat and the dh and nerve symptoms returned again. Note all along I was eating organic produce from my own garden, other than in winter. Went vegeterian over the summer and felt great, untill winter hit and I was forced to by food from the store. All symptoms except for the angioedem returned. This is my third winter gluten free, and I'm down to eating locally bout organic potates, organic kale from the store, bananas and avocadoes. Dh is less severe, but the stomach problems, cecum pain, and nerve issues have returned and gotten worse. I literally eat the same thing every day. I cant get tested because I am self employed and cant afford insurance, ineligible for medicare/medicaid. 33 year old male, feel like Im going on sixty. Thinking I might have to move to a country where I can grow organic produce all year around, or I might die. My wife also started having the same symptoms, but much less severe, about 6 months after me. We were buying high gluten organic wheat flour from the co op and baking our own bread before all this started. We think that might have been the trigger. Anyone have a situatiion like this.? As far as possible contamination I think its in the air in the store? I drink organic coffee, black. No spices or seasonings, no sugar, literally potatoes, kale , bananas and avocadoes. I don't know what else to cut out. I'm down to 140 pounds.
    • jmg, I am sorry I tried. That is true for cheese -- it can not be made casein free according to livestrong but you can take lactaid for the lactose portion of milk.  Or drink lactaid brand milk or ice cream. at least then you will know if it is the lactose or the casein that is the problem. And they do make lactose free cheeses . . . . so that is something.  And they will be labeled as such so you don't have to worry about getting the wrong kind of cheese accidently. find some kefir it is 99% lactose free if it (dairy) still bothers you it is probably the casein. I hope this is helpful. posterboy,  
    • After a 2 week gluten challenge..... Immunoglobulin A, Serum - 85 Low Deamidated Glaidin Abs, IgA - 3 Normal Deamidated Glaidin Abs, IgG 24 High t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA - 2 Negative t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG 2 Negative Endomysial Antibody IgA Negative
    •   Johny_Cage, I didn't see where knitty kitty mentioned B-3.  It is best to take it as the non-flushing Niacinmaide form with each meal. It usually take 3 months to notice an improvement often when taking B-Vitamins because it takes that long to fill up the liver where we store most of our B-vitamins. see this link about B-vitamins and depression entitle *B*  "Vitamin supplementation for 1 year improves mood. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7477807/ Also see this article from nutraindgreidents about ow some Parkinson disease can be helped with Niacinamide supplementation. https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2017/01/11/Vitamin-B3-may-benefit-those-with-Parkinson-s-disease they note it might only work in specific parkinson patients but it might be worth trying. You might try a homoecysteine tablet too or taking a b-complex has the same b-vitamins found in a homecycysteine tablet. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6471099_Homocysteine_and_Parkinson's_disease_A_dangerous_liaison there are making break throughs every day (literally) see the new research on PD and intense exercise.  Hang in there.  There is more hope than ever. Here is the latest research on Parkinson's disease and intense exercise from the NYtimes. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/well/move/exercise-may-aid-parkinsons-disease-but-make-it-intense.html ***this is not medical advice but I hope it helps you to know headway is being made on Parkinson disease if your mom is having tremours and you suspect PD. my heart goes out to you -- my mom had dementia and suspected but never confirmed alzheimer's. Again I hope this is helpful. posterboy by the grace of God,  
  • Upcoming Events