• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Choceur Chocolate Gluten Free, Not Gluten Free, Huh?

5 posts in this topic

Riddle me this, Batman:

Choceur Strawberry Yogurt Milk Chocolate Bars have a "gluten free" symbol (the one with the wheat) on the back, but ALSO list WHEAT as an ingredient.

Can someone explain that one to me?

These bars are made for Aldi's (where I shop) in Germany. They have a variety of bars that are labeled "gluten free" but don't list wheat as an ingredient like this specific bar.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Different rules in different places. Without actually seeing the label, I am speculating, but the product could be considered gluten-free under European rules while containing Codex wheat starch. Under Canadian rules, such a product can not be labeled gluten-free. In the United States, there is still no rule defining "gluten-free."

Different rules in different places. Without actually seeing the label, I am speculating, but the product could be considered gluten-free under European rules while containing Codex wheat starch. Under Canadian rules, such a product can not be labeled gluten-free. In the United States, there is still no rule defining "gluten-free."

Would you consider it "safe" to eat their other bars, also labeled "gluten free" as this one is, but that do not list wheat as an ingredient? This particular bar is the only one of their selection I see with this peculiarity. They do have other chocolate bars that are NOT labeled gluten free, so I thought I they were safe for us Celiacs.

Yes, I would. Since you are buying the product in the US, any wheat content must, by law, be clearly disclosed.

Yes, I would. Since you are buying the product in the US, any wheat content must, by law, be clearly disclosed.

Ok then, thanks!

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Craig Hennessy

• Topics

• Matt,  Your post has literally changed my attitude over my morning coffee today In a matter of minutes.  You have done a wonderful job summing up the experience of not only myself, and you as well, but my guess is probably a lot of people who come to this board.   I know from having some email conversations with researchers that even those in the gluten Community do not see eye-to-eye on all of this. So we certainly do have a long way to go.  As for the three months you're absolutely right, as I had already tried a strict diet for 2 or 3 months and still had a lot of symptoms. I think the doctor just wants to meet after 3 months to see if there's any Improvement, the test. But I'll give it a good 6 to 12 as you suggest.  There is that lingering fear that nothing will get better and I'll continue to go undiagnosed with something sinister.  it is hard not to think that way in my case. however, again, your post is giving me some hope. And even if that hope is not realistic at the very least it's a distraction for a little while which I need.  And hey, it may just be the answer!  I am often on the fence about whether or not I should be bitching about my doctors.  in reality, two of the things in life I would never want to be would be a doctor or a landlord.  people really do look to doctors as if they are God.  a friend of mine is a physician and told me that it's quite frustrating for doctors when they can't figure out what's wrong with the patient and they get burnt out.  so I have a lot of respect for the Physicians who keep trying to find what's wrong and do so while being polite and courteous to the patient even though they may inside be feeling frustrated. I have absolutely no respect for the ones who  fail to notice that there are recalls out on their models of the God complex.
    • I'm currently searching for a brand of rice that is safe for even the most sensitive. I saw posts on here from around 2009 (I believe) and was just curious what everyone ate without issues lately?       
    • I'm not really sure what you mean? 
    • Hello and welcome I'd just echo CyclingLady - do you need to put yourself through this? There are lots of good reasons for pursuing a diagnosis but amongst the strongest are helping you to 'keep honest' on the diet or ensuring that your not denying yourselves a lot of foods for good reason. Neither of these apply to you and so I'd have to ask what you have to gain by putting yourself through it?  Oh and: Me too, but every so often I fall of the wagon into a gluten free cheesecake or similar Best of luck!
    • My own bugbear is that in dismissing the fad diet journalists will typically reference Celiac but will often say that only Celiac patients should be following the gluten free diet. Whatever the consensus medical opinion of NCGS, it's a fact that there are many people who are not diagnosed Celiac but who have been advised by their doctors to follow a gluten free diet. That distinction is typically too subtle for such articles and they therefore help to support the idea amongst the wider populace that if you're not celiac you can eat gluten and if you're avoiding it your either deluded, a chronic attention seeker or jumping on a bandwagon. A reductive and potentially harmful generalisation. 
  • Upcoming Events