This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy

KMMO320

KMMO320 Contributor

I am having my Endo this Friday and I am scared to death. I know I will be sedated..but will I fall asleep? I was mostly still awake during my colonoscopy at the beginning and then went out...but I want to be TOTALLY out for this. The thought of a tube down my throat...I am freaking OUT. What if I gag, I am going to panic. I am panicking just thinking about it. Please tell me I will be asleep.

I had a dozen vials of blood taken from me last week, a full Celiac panel plus some other expensive celiac serology test that they sent out to California. I had to get permission from my INS company before they would approve it, so I am guessing it is a in depth test. I just want it all over.

Gah. Im freaking out. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Worrying about the endoscopy is MUCH worse then the actual procedure. I remember bits and pieces of the procedure but most of it I think I was out . . . actually, I don't remember most of the entire morning (being picked up by my husband, walking to the car, picking up lunch on the way home, etc.)

It is a piece of cake - you will be fine. I think I was less worried because my 7 year old went first (and he was fine as well).

Cara

KMMO320 Contributor

Thank you so much. It helps so much to vent here! I go back and forth thinking I have celiac disease and I dont have celiac disease. That its in my head, that it cant be anything other than Gluten.

Yesterday I was fine. Felt great other than being tired and a little nauseus but no stomach issues.

Today, I feel like the stomach issues are never ending. I dont want to leave my house. whats up with the symptom differences day to day!! I am driving myself nuts. lol

rosetapper23 Explorer

I actually was fully awake for my endoscopy because I wasn't clotting very well at the time. The doctor was scared that I wouldn't be able to make fundamental decisions if I began bleeding from the biopsies, so I was only sedated to the point of feeling relaxed. I, too, was scared of the tube, especially since all of my muscles are rigid from celiac (including my esophagus); however, even though I gagged a little, the surgeon put the tube in so swiftly, that really wasn't a problem. It wasn't painful or upsetting at all...and the biopsies only took a few minutes.

The only part I didn't like was that I had a sore throat that lasted about six months....but, again, that's probably because my esophagus is so rigid.

This really is a very easy procedure--nothing to be worried about. You'll do fine!

MinnesotaCeliac Rookie

I am having my Endo this Friday and I am scared to death. I know I will be sedated..but will I fall asleep? I was mostly still awake during my colonoscopy at the beginning and then went out...but I want to be TOTALLY out for this. The thought of a tube down my throat...I am freaking OUT. What if I gag, I am going to panic. I am panicking just thinking about it. Please tell me I will be asleep.

Gah. Im freaking out. :(

KMMO320,

Sometimes the unknown is scary, we tend to image the worst. This is easy to for me to say, but have no worries! If they put you under for the procedure, you will not even be aware that it took place. The pre-endoscopy setup for it takes longer (explanation of what will take place and prep). Once in the room and on the table they gave me the anesthesia ( I started a countdown, I think I made it to 97). Next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room. Just make sure to have someone in the recovery room with you that can talk to the doctor after wards if you have questions (I'm still a little fuzzy on the conversation that took place). After the appointment I went home and slept the rest of the day away. Best wishes!!!!

love2travel Mentor

What everyone said is true. It is really very simple; in fact, I would rather undergo an endoscopy than a trip to the dentist! :lol:

My doctor told me a person is technically not "put under" but given a memory-erasing drug. The last thing I remember is the doctor showing me the tube (I asked to see it) then the next thing I knew I was in recovery and my husband was holding my hand. Makes me wonder whether I said anything foolish while I was having it done. Did I flirt with the doctor? :lol:

Thankfully I did not experience a sore throat whatsoever and I have been prone to sore throats since I was a child.

The procedure truly is nothing to worry about. All that worry for nothing! :P

tTG-killer Newbie

For me it really wasn't bad. I was given Fentanyl and Propofol and only remember counting up to 3 then I was waking up to some water in the recovery room.

I second the suggestion to have someone there who can talk to the doctor. I don't even remember seeing him after the procedure, but I guess we chatted a bit.

I also did not have a sore throat and felt back to normal later the same day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived