This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Did I Get Glutened!?!

CanineGluten

CanineGluten Newbie

Today I had coffee, yerba mate, and water.. up till 11 AM.

I was feeling fine. My face wasnt puffy under my eyes like when I get glutened.

So even though I kinda wanted to keep fasting, since I had breaded fish last night.. and wanted to clean out..

I decided to "eat", and made a salad. Gluten free marinara, I cooked some ground beef in a cast iron pan I found which Im sure hasnt been used in ages, olive oil, tomatoes, avocado from an actual avocado, and thats it.

I feel "leaky"in the rectal area, some gas, and some puffiness. I mainly have brain ataxia.. at least its the only "problem" I have that bothers me. It makes me really pissed off.

So Im pretty sure I got glutened. And it annoys the he double hockey stick outta me because, Im trying so dang hard!

For many years now I have simply fasted all day long and did an IF diet.. where I just feasted at night generally..

At least I never was glutened...

So Im thinking I literally should just eat raw fruits and veggies during the day.. so I dont have to worry about it.

Who needs this constant worry.

I feel incredibly better though, not eating gluten and dairy... incredibly more stable.. but Im getting to the point.. maybe not quiete yet, but thinking.. it would just be easier to just have a feeding window at night, and just eat whatever but maybe minimize the bad stuff... since it seems I get glutened anyways..

Sigh. Grr. Etc

!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

How long have you been on the diet? Do you have confirmed celiac disease?

If you have celiac disease, it will take time for your body to heal from the damage to your intestines. During the healing process, you will have random reactions to food which just happens to upset your damaged digestive tract. It does not have to be gluten. I had severe intestinal damage (Marsh III) and during my recovery phase I sometimes reacted to plain white rice--vomited it back up in minutes. I continued to have significant symptoms for three months, and it was six before I was completely symptom-free. Give it time.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Could the marinara have had soy in it? It seems they put that darned stuff in everything! If so, you might consider avoiding anything with soy. For me, it seems that half the gluten-free products out there contain soy....and many of us are intolerant of it.

Adalaide Mentor

I immediately stopped all use of cast iron pans with my diagnosis. The whole point of cast iron is that the pan becomes seasoned and it's entirely possible that it was a source of cc for you. Then again, it's also perfectly likely that it was a reaction to some other food.

CanineGluten Newbie

Ill try to reply to you all.

I have no idea if I am a celiac.. all I know is it seems (in this day when it seems no one believes me around me), that I have a problem with wheat etc.

Its one thing if Im spending all day alone or with my dogs out in nature, since I can just be by myself.

But Im very anti-social becuz of it all, I mean gluten etc.

I can do soy just fine.

I think its the olive oil, or the cast iron pot, since one time I simply rinsed out some berries in a ceramic bowl that is used daily for pancake batter. And even though it was "clean", I definitely got glutened. And if I hadnt read online about cross contamination I would be a lost soul.

I wish I could have been more intuitive about food in the first place, but I guess when you are raised with wheat you just accept it.

Ive had stints where I was a raw foodist, and stints where I never ate dairy and only had oats in the morning and basically just protein

point being, this suckks.

Im tempted to just do a IF feeding window where I can eat "anything" I want..

but truth be told when im glutened its like it lasts well into the next day. so i cant afford that.

its such a nuisance / pity this has to be complicated, but the benefits seem so real

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So even though I kinda wanted to keep fasting, since I had breaded fish last night.. and wanted to clean out..

Gluten reactions can be delayed. There is a chance you were not reacting to what you had just eaten but to the breaded fish you had the night before. If you need to be gluten free you can't just be gluten free during the day and then eat gluten at night. That just doesn't work. If you need a diagnosis before you can fully adopt the diet 24/7 you should go back to eating gluten at every meal for at least a couple of months and then get tested.

kareng Grand Master

I agree with Ravenwood. You seem to be saying you ate some gluten coated fish but blaming the glutening on other foods. Until you have really been gluten free for at least a few months, the diet won't help. It isn't a gluten-free diet during the day and gluten at night.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I agree with Ravenwood. You seem to be saying you ate some gluten coated fish but blaming the glutening on other foods. Until you have really been gluten free for at least a few months, the diet won't help. It isn't a gluten-free diet during the day and gluten at night.

I guess I just sort of assumed it was gluten free breaded fish if there was confusion about where the gluten came from. But yes, if it was not gluten free it is almost certainly the fish making you sick. (My husband found and brought me some packaged breaded fish that is gluten free, so it is out there.)

CanineGluten Newbie

Well my guess then is the eating of a meal at noon spurred my digestive tract to get going, and I felt glutening symptoms.

Yes I know, cant eat it at night. lol

Its tough. u have to prepare everything

Ill stop whining.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well my guess then is the eating of a meal at noon spurred my digestive tract to get going, and I felt glutening symptoms.

Yes I know, cant eat it at night. lol

Its tough. u have to prepare everything

Ill stop whining.

Whine as much as you need to as we will always listen.

CanineGluten Newbie

Thank You.

GFinDC Veteran

When I get glutened I usually am backed up for a day or 2 and then get diahrea. You may have reacted similarly? Celiac is an autoimmune condition and the antibodies turn on quickly but don't turn off quickly. You could have an immune reaction go on for a couple of weeks or more after a glutening. Your body wants to keep you safe and it does that by fighting invaders. In celiac the body considers your intestinal lininig as an invader whenever gluten is present. So it attacks your small intestine lining. So to keep that attack from happening you need ot be gluten-free all the time. That gives your small intestine the best chance to heal which will allow you to absorb vitamins and minerals correctly.

CanineGluten Newbie

Im not sure Im celiac. All I know is I woke up this morning and feel like my gluten-free self again. How crazy. It took 2 days to burn through that. Since about 2 days ago I gorged on donuts, crackers, etc.

Gluten makes me anti social

IrishHeart Veteran

Stop eating it if it makes you anti-social. You got glutened because you are eating breaded foods and donuts, that's how.

This is why I was telling you that you cannot tell people --as you are doing on another thread ---to FAST when they are recovering from celiac. You do not fast when you are very ill from malabsorption and in starving mode, okay? Celiacs need to eat to replenish.

You talk about fasting ---and then gorging. This "eating window" as you call it ---after starving yourself and gorging on donuts? This is not healthy living. This is an eating disorder.

If gluten messes with your head, you may want to be tested for celiac, okay? We want you to feel better.

Best wishes to you.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Putting all gluten issues aside, eating only in the evening will really mess up your blood sugar. It's not a good idea, or healthy for anyone.

Is there any reason why you don't want to be testd for Celiac? It seems like you are getting reactions to gluten? If your body doesn't tolerate it, it will mess you up in a lot of ways. Why not get tested so you'll have a better idea of what's making you feel bad?

CanineGluten Newbie

I could get tested for celiac.

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isnt an idea I made up.

psawyer Proficient

Eating once a day, or having a feeding window.. isnt an idea I made up.

It isn't a good idea, no matter who made it up.

GFinDC Veteran

Personally (IMHO-ing here) I don't see anything wrong with eating just once a day myself. As long as you are eating healthy foods for your body, and not a bunch of junk or gluten. But eating only once a day will not cure celiac or prevent gluten from harming you. The immune system is more like an elephant than a mouse, it will remember what you ate for a couple weeks. So a 24 hour break is not going to "fix: things if that's what your are thinking. The immune cells don't just go "poof" and disappear once the gluten is out of the body. Sorry if I am misunderstanding or twisting your meaning. I like to give my digestive system a break sometimes also, and eating just once a day sometimes is one way I do that. If I was to do that regularly I would eat only in the morning or at lunch. It is probably better for your blood sugar to eat during the day than at night. For some people not eating 3 meals a day is a problem, for others it works fine. We are all individuals and not exactly the same. If we were you all could borrow my clothes and wear them fine. But why you would want to borrow some worn out size 12 sneakers and grubby jeans and a tee I don't know. :D

CanineGluten Newbie

ive been IFing. for very long time.

even muhammad says to eat one meal every other day.

you guys really are stepping outta your territory to come over and say all this stuff how its dumb and yadd yadda. when youve never heard it, researched it, etc etc.

you eat your 5 meals a day. eating is just self medication. a ritualized drug. gluten free or not.

kareng Grand Master

you guys really are stepping outta your territory to come over and say all this stuff how its dumb and yadd yadda. when youve never heard it, researched it, etc etc.

you eat your 5 meals a day. eating is just self medication. a ritualized drug. gluten free or not.

We have tried to explain to you that, for a Celiac, eating a gluten meal and fasting is not healthy. It does not undo the damage from the gluten. As this is a Celiac forum, we are discussing this from the Celiac perspective. You are welcome to ask questions and discuss various aspects of Celiac disease.

With so many things on the Internet these days, I'm sure you can find a forum to discuss fasting options and the evils of eating.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

One thing I do remember is that eating gluten just made me want more gluten. Like somehow my body craves the thing that is worst for it. Any time I ate bread, pasta, donuts, it seemed like I could not get enough --never felt full until I was literally stuffed full.

And diahhrea was a daily thing, every morning without fail.

You need to get gluten free and stay that way to feel good all the time.

Who wants to feel sick at all!

Some of us have been very lucky in that we have not experienced severe illness due to our celiac disease. Very lucky.

I am greatful that I was never so very sick as some of the folks on this forum have been. All my sympathy to those who have suffered and been hospitalized.

What you need to take to heart, CanineGluten, is that you feel terrific when you are gluten free. Why not feel terrific all the time and just give up the things that make you feel bad or make you anti-social. It is for the best!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have one question for you.

If you are not a celiac, and are not interested in anything we have to say to help you, which is what we do on here (and since you certainly do not know that newly-diagnosed celiacs are too malnourished and weak to fast)

then:

Why are you on this site then?

No one said fasting is "dumb", we said it is inappropriate and unhealthy for celiacs who are malnourished or people with blood sugar problems.

In OUR case, gluten free food is nourishing and our "medication".

I think you misunderstand what's being said to you.

dani nero Community Regular

What they're trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter if you're eating just once or a gazillion times a day. The problem isn't how many times you eat, but what you eat. If any meal you consume contains gluten, and you do have celiac, it will cause damage to your body.

Just a pointer though in case you decide to cut all gluten from your diet. If your dogs eat dry dog food, make sure to check the ingredients, since most brands contain wheat and have been a problem for some of us here.

psawyer Proficient

Just a pointer though in case you decide to cut all gluten from your diet. If your dogs eat dry dog food, make sure to check the ingredients, since most brands contain wheat and have been a problem for some of us here.

I would revise that to say that many cheap brands contain wheat. In higher end foods you are more likely to see rice. Pearled barley does appear in some top tier brands, and oats are sometimes included. Read the ingredients. The most common wheat source in dog products is in biscuits, not food. There are many wheat-free biscuits available, but they will cost a lot more than a MilkBone.

Oscar Apprentice

Why are you on this site then?

Yeah, why are you even here? You say you don't have celiac disease; you don't eat gluten-free; you don't want to hear any of the advice offered. This is a support site for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Your fasting agenda, even if it is approved by Muhammad, does not have any relevance to us.

Archived