• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Damage/infection To Intestines

6 posts in this topic

I have just had and endoscopy and a biopsy. The pictures of my small intestines were terrible , Lots of irratation and some pus ! My doc is treating me for a shingles types viral infection but we are (doc Included) think this is coming from wheat intolerance. Have any of you ever had infection and severe irration from Celiac ? I would love to compare to others who had seen theit biopsy pictures!!!

thanks,

Lisa

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Leudy

My husband who has celiac disease was diagnosed late 2003 and finally decided to have endoscopy a year later in 2004; by that point the minor celiac disease damage was healed but he had an ucler that the Dr. attributed to the erosion of tissue due to years of misdiagnosed celiac disease. The ucler was in the final stages of being healed, however.

DM

Have any of you ever had infection and severe irration from Celiac ?
Many years of undiagnosed celiac disease can result in severe intestinal damage to the villi (villi line the intestinall wall). Were your villi flat or partially flat? Did you have blood tests done?

[Check my post on celiac and infections...I wasn't kidding..I just got a stool test result stating that I had a Helicobacter Pylori infection along with bacterial overgrowth. Yes you can have infections.. I would encourage a stool test and some probiotics. L-glutamine aids in healing..

Many years of undiagnosed celiac disease can result in severe intestinal damage to the villi (villi line the intestinall wall). Were your villi flat or partially flat? Did you have blood tests done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the pictures and I am not sure what villi should look like. The pictures are of the beginning of the small intestine and it looks sort of cracked and the whole area including inside is discolored. It doesn't look like the healthy pink tissue that it should be and some areas look kind of like a yeast infection! Sounds weird I know! Thanks for your reply! Lisa

Ads by Google:

There definitely seems to be something going on... I would request a biopsy, if it hasn't already been done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Craig Hennessy

• Topics

• Lol!!!  Well what the heck. I'm not entirely sure how the message boards figure out the algorithm sometimes.  however, the Advice was totally informative and I appreciate it!   I am a bit nervous about taking iron so I was thinking I would take a safe dose maybe every other day or so for a little while  and ask my doctor To rerun the panel.  a friend of mine is a PA and she told me thE amount I can safely take.  I just hope my doc will be receptive to Re-running it because he told me the labs were within normal range Because the cutoff for ferritin was 13 and mine was 20.  I have no idea why they ran it a year-and-a-half ago because I didn't ask and I wasn't feeling crummy but during the first gluten challenge they did an iron panel and that's when it was in the 70s.  so I figure adding a bit more iron to my Already decent diet isn't going to hurt too much.   I did ask my primary care if it would be typical for somebody with a completely normal hemoglobin and red blood cell count to go anemic with an 18 hours of fasting.  it was mild anemia wasn't severe obviously. I had a procedure done while I was in the hospital and you can watch my red blood cell count and hemoglobin drop while I was fasting.  because they seem to Draw a CBC Like every 5 minutes in the hospital.   I was told after having a colonoscopy that Crohn's was ruled out.  Of course I was told a lot of things!   I admire how active you are.  I would love to be able to get up to a half marathon. I gave up exercising for 6 months last year to see if anything would help but it didn't so I just got back into it probably sometime in February. There are days when I really don't feel well and I'm not able to but there are days where I feel pretty good.
    • Don't pay any attention to that reply. By the way I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I have no answers for you at all but hopefully someone will! When is the next time you see your doctor?
    • Matt,  Your post has literally changed my attitude over my morning coffee today In a matter of minutes.  You have done a wonderful job summing up the experience of not only myself, and you as well, but my guess is probably a lot of people who come to this board.   I know from having some email conversations with researchers that even those in the gluten Community do not see eye-to-eye on all of this. So we certainly do have a long way to go.  As for the three months you're absolutely right, as I had already tried a strict diet for 2 or 3 months and still had a lot of symptoms. I think the doctor just wants to meet after 3 months to see if there's any Improvement, the test. But I'll give it a good 6 to 12 as you suggest.  There is that lingering fear that nothing will get better and I'll continue to go undiagnosed with something sinister.  it is hard not to think that way in my case. however, again, your post is giving me some hope. And even if that hope is not realistic at the very least it's a distraction for a little while which I need.  And hey, it may just be the answer!  I am often on the fence about whether or not I should be bitching about my doctors.  in reality, two of the things in life I would never want to be would be a doctor or a landlord.  people really do look to doctors as if they are God.  a friend of mine is a physician and told me that it's quite frustrating for doctors when they can't figure out what's wrong with the patient and they get burnt out.  so I have a lot of respect for the Physicians who keep trying to find what's wrong and do so while being polite and courteous to the patient even though they may inside be feeling frustrated. I have absolutely no respect for the ones who  fail to notice that there are recalls out on their models of the God complex.
    • I'm currently searching for a brand of rice that is safe for even the most sensitive. I saw posts on here from around 2009 (I believe) and was just curious what everyone ate without issues lately?       
    • I'm not really sure what you mean? 
  • Upcoming Events