This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tim Hortons- Calling All Canadians! Lol

123glldd

123glldd Collaborator

Has anyone here eaten the chili from Tim Horton's since going gluten free? Or the potato bacon soup etc?

I know these are gluten free ingredient wise. I understand for some things cross contamination could be a worry but...wouldn't soups be in a closed container and then thrown in that closed pot they keep it in to warm it up? Should their soups and chili be pretty much safe?

I'm going home next week and absolutely want to have my favorite chili lol NOT if i'm gonna get sick though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

Has anyone here eaten the chili from Tim Horton's since going gluten free? Or the potato bacon soup etc?

I know these are gluten free ingredient wise. I understand for some things cross contamination could be a worry but...wouldn't soups be in a closed container and then thrown in that closed pot they keep it in to warm it up? Should their soups and chili be pretty much safe?

I'm going home next week and absolutely want to have my favorite chili lol NOT if i'm gonna get sick though.

I have a wheat allery and had a Timmies coffee and had a severe reaction. I guess the flour is in the air and settles on the cups and every thing else. I would not risk it again.

sora Community Regular

Try this instead,

Open Original Shared Link

123glldd Collaborator

hmm this really stinks....we dunno what we can eat if we go to the mall and get hungry...i guess finding chips that are trusted or something? gah.... :( They have a Tim Hortons...New York Fries etc...but i've heard of people being glutened from both now..

Mateto Enthusiast

What about a Shoppers? One of those in the mall? Some have pre-packaged fruit cup thingy's, and all that which are gluten free. However, there is also the option of SOME and not all, but SOME Chinese food take-aways have pure rice noodles, or sauteed vegetables which are gluten-free.

New York Fries does have gluten-free chips, but the seasoning counter does have gluten present, so it depends on where the counter is and where you're getting the chips from.

123glldd Collaborator

What about a Shoppers? One of those in the mall? Some have pre-packaged fruit cup thingy's, and all that which are gluten free. However, there is also the option of SOME and not all, but SOME Chinese food take-aways have pure rice noodles, or sauteed vegetables which are gluten-free.

New York Fries does have gluten-free chips, but the seasoning counter does have gluten present, so it depends on where the counter is and where you're getting the chips from.

I THINK it's a Lawton's Drugs in the mall. Like Shoppers but not Shoppers. New York Fries I thought was a good one but then i've heard of people being glutened somehow and figured some part of the buns for the hot dogs got into the oil? i dunno...very nervous. I personally don't even need seasoning on those so I was gonna avoid it but *sighs* There IS a asian place i think tho. Hopefully some plain steamed rice or rice noodles yeah *sighs* So irritating!

psawyer Proficient

A comment from the Open Original Shared Link:

There are many posts on this board where somebody insists that they were glutened at such-and-such a place or by such-and-such a product. Many of these posts are by folks newly diagnosed.

Often, these people are in the early stages of healing, and during this phase, the damaged intestine may react to anything. In my early recovery, I had some violent reactions after eating plain boiled white rice. My body was just not always ready for food, gluten-free or not.

So, take these with a grain of salt. Even as a long-term veteran of the diet, when I have an issue (which is very rare), it can be difficult to be certain where the cc came from.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

123glldd Collaborator

Yeah I wondered about that too...seems i get a tummy ache here and there so maybe i should stay away from it for now...i dunno...maybe i'll wait a while and look at it as...maybe next time i visit i'll try it. I've only been gluten free. Like really putting in the effort to be completely since I found out may 10th. So....i guess i'll bring ziplock baggies of stuff in my bookbag i carry around.

My husband really wants Tim Horton's coffee so i suggested maybe he bring a thermos and get them to fill it to lessen the risk of cups with possible flour particles from the donuts and bagels in them etc. So some things may be more do-able than others.

psawyer Proficient

I was never impressed with Tim's coffee--perhaps I am not really Canadian: my mother was from Minnesota. But I do get Starbucks in my travel mug from the one near my business several times a week. Never had a problem.

123glldd Collaborator

Hehehe hey we're all different people with different tastes *shrug* I like both Starbucks and Timmy's. Since living down here all we can get are Starbucks...we miss the fraps though. SO FAR...my husband gets iced coffee during the summer and is fine. We're doing okay without the fraps..hopefully we're not getting glutened by the coffee somehow but I doubt it as ...well..it's just coffee? lol

• 2 weeks later...
Poppi Enthusiast

I eat New York Fries all the time at the mall and have never been glutened. Also Booster Juice (just no Boosters, at least one of them has gluten) and Qoola frozen yogurt.

• 2 weeks later...
Mateto Enthusiast

I THINK it's a Lawton's Drugs in the mall. Like Shoppers but not Shoppers. New York Fries I thought was a good one but then i've heard of people being glutened somehow and figured some part of the buns for the hot dogs got into the oil? i dunno...very nervous. I personally don't even need seasoning on those so I was gonna avoid it but *sighs* There IS a asian place i think tho. Hopefully some plain steamed rice or rice noodles yeah *sighs* So irritating!

There's a Lawton's in ours too...are you talking about the Avalon Mall?

The New York Fries at the Avalon Mall is good, because they keep their spices separate. Also you can tell them you have an "allergy to some things in the spices", so they'll be cautious.

Second Cup might have gluten-free baked goods.

Archived