This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Confused About Her Blood Results! Quantitative Iga High?

Maddie11

Maddie11 Newbie

Hello All, I'm hoping your expertise can help me. My mom was diagnosed with Celiac's disease about 9 years ago. It has stolen her life from her really, so I know how hideous this disease is. I know I have the celiac gene because I've been tested. I recently got my blood tested and was negative for the following tests: Transglutaminase IgA Antibody (Ab, Iga,EIA); Endomysial IGA Antibody, IFA; Gliadin Deamidated Antibodies IgC, IgA. The test called Quantitative Iga was HIGH. My result was 396 and the test range was 68-378.

I'm unsure but I believe that this test measures whether or not I have a deficiency in the Iga and if so it might affect the other tests by providing me with a false negative(s). So, my question is does a High result have any correlation to celiac disease? I'm hoping to avoid this disease but at 45 I'm finding a greater and greater correlation to what food I ingest and how crappy I feel. Thanks for listening and wishing you all good health (and a great weekend!!) Maddie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I believe you are right on in your thinking. I would like to see the more experienced members look at this & answer you. This response will bump your post up & hopefully they will chime in.

What did your doctor say? Was it a GI doc or your primary care doc?

nora-n Rookie

As far as I know, it is just another word for total IgA.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is what I found:

"Levels of IgA get higher in some autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and in liver diseases, such as cirrhosis and long-term (chronic) hepatitis.

High levels of IgA may mean monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) or multiple myeloma is present."

In summary, it means there is some type of inflammation going on, but I would NOT conclude it means anything until I see the doctor who ordered the test for you.

This test result alone is non-conclusive for celiac, IMHO. but it does not mean you do not have it, either.

Sorry--that was probably not very helpful at all :(

I am seronegative for celiac disease and IgA deficient myself, so testing for me was never accurate at all. It's frustrating, I know.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Maddie11 Newbie

Thanks for all of the responses! To answer your questions, it's my general doctor who ran tests at my request. She stated the tests reveal no evidence of celiac sprue. I'm not a hypochondriac in the slightest, in fact more the opposite ("everything's fine") but I feel like I either have this disease or I will have it. I've decided to go gluten free for three months and see if I feel any different and if I do I'm just going to stay that way forever I guess. Hopefully one day there will be a cure for this crappy disease. Thanks for the information and I wish you all the best. The more we share information and symptoms the better of we'll all be I think. Maddie :)

Archived