This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Probiotics And Digestive Enzymes?

Kirstie

Kirstie Apprentice

Hi everyone, I've been gluten free for about 6 weeks now! (except for a few slip ups and a failed attempt at a gluten challenged) but I am already feeling much better!

A lot of my symptoms have cleared up or improved (fatigue, shortness of breath, brain fog, vomiting, nausea, constipation) but I am still suffering from bloating and occasional nausea.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any probiotics or digestive enzymes to take? Would this help? I live off water, peppermint and ginger tea, but I'm still bloated! :(

I've just started taking Multibionta which is a pill containing probiotics, multi vitamins and minerals all in one. Hoping to see results soon!

But would anyone be able to offer any recommendations regarding digestive enzymes, and whether this would aid my uncomfortable and annoying bloating!?

Thanks everyone! :)

K x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've found digestive enzymes do help with bloating, but for me it hasn't solved it entirely. Hopefully you'll have better success with them. Be sure to get ones which are from microbial sources, because those can withstand the acidity of the stomach, thereby making it into the intestines intact. Also some use barley enzymes, which would obviously be a no-no. The best ones I've found (which are relatively reasonably priced) are Digest Platinum by NOW Foods. Doctor's Best also makes a decent one.

I'm sure others will have some good tips for you.

HTH

birdie22 Enthusiast

For probiotic, I like Culturelle. It's well tested/validated, easy to find (CVS, Walmart, etc) and pretty affordable.

For digestive enzymes I have tried Source Naturals Essential Enzymes. They are free of the top allergens (wheat, soy, egg, dairy, etc). I personally didn't have any success with them. All it did was give me a rumbling stomach and gas. I have better luck with gas-x or phazyme (make sure the type is gluten-free as not all are) in relieving the bloating, even if only temporarily.

IrishHeart Veteran

Digest Gold by Enzymedica

Custom Probiotics (google it--he's in CA)

I suggest the multi-strain blend, but he will talk with you on the phone. He's well versed in celiac.

When I was Dxed, I had no detectable good gut bacteria when I was tested--which my doc says is just "impossible" :lol: ---and I used this product to replenish and it set my gut straight. No more bowel issues whatsoever and I had them all my life.

OTC probiotic that works well--is Culturelle (contains Lactobaccilus GG, well-documented studies on it)

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Are all of the custom probiotics products gluten free?

IrishHeart Veteran

Are all of the custom probiotics products gluten free?

Yes! :)

Mom-of-Two Contributor

Question: I got the digestive enzymes by Source Naturals and my hubby has been using them too (he is gluten free with me, not due to celiac though) and he has tummy issues on a pretty regular basis- I thought these enzymes would really benefit but he is swearing to me that he is MORE bloated and gassy, has pressure in his stomach since taking them- I thought that was what they FIXED? I don't notice this, but is this common with digestive enzymes?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom-of-Two Contributor

Also, I take the Critical Care probiotics by RenewLife- 50 billion multi strain.

I like them quite a lot.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Question: I got the digestive enzymes by Source Naturals and my hubby has been using them too (he is gluten free with me, not due to celiac though) and he has tummy issues on a pretty regular basis- I thought these enzymes would really benefit but he is swearing to me that he is MORE bloated and gassy, has pressure in his stomach since taking them- I thought that was what they FIXED? I don't notice this, but is this common with digestive enzymes?

Your hubby's reaction isn't common to taking digestive enzymes, BUT if he's taking enzymes that are fruit based (bromelain, papain) it could indicate he has a fructose intolerance? It might be worth having him tested for that. It's a simple test where they measure the gases in one's breath by exhaling into a tube connected to a meter, then have them drink a high fructose solution, then measure the gases after ingestion.

If he's not Celiac, fructose intolerance *could* be what is upsetting his system?

• 2 months later...
Pegleg84 Collaborator

Reviving this thread a bit.

I've also been thinking of trying digestive enzymes, as I have added casein and soy to my list of intolerances, and my stomach seems to still have trouble with grains and proteins.

I looked at a local natural dispensary yesterday, and the choice is almost overwhelming. The ones reccomended to me were pretty pricey, so I decided to go middle-of-the-road and got a small pack of Udo's Choice to try out.

For those who take digestive enzymes regularly, do you take one at every meal regardless of what you're eating?

Does it take a few days/weeks before they really start doing their job?

Has anyone found a good one that's geared toward dairy/soy/gluten intolerance?

Thanks!

Peggy

catsmeow Contributor

My doc recently did a stool sample and I learned that I have no intestinal flora at all....good or bad....zilch! She put me on VSL #3, which has prescription and non prescription strengths. I'm taking them in non prescription strength. You can buy them from the pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens, Target, and Costco. They have to order them everywhere but Costco. Costco stocks them. They are refridgeated, and in the pharmacy, so you have to ask for them. They are over $50 everywhere but Costco. Costco has them at $46 for 60 capsules. They contain 225 billion live pro-biotics per capsule. Here's the write up from their website, they also have a link to look-up which of your local pharmacies carry this probiotic.

VSL#3 Capsules is a probiotic medical food for the dietary management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Ulcerative Colitis consisting of 8 strains of live freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria. VSL#3 Capsules are available in a 60 count bottle. Each 2 capsule serving contains 225 billion live probiotic bacteria. Ingredients: VSL#3 Capsules contain one strain of streptococcus thermophilus, three strains of bifidobacterium and four strains of lactobacillus in defined ratios. Inactive ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, vegetable capsule (hydroxypropyl methycellulose), and silicon dioxide.

I've been on them for a month and it has eliminated my airborne wheat allergy. Apparently, my immune system was in the toilet from lack of Flora (thanks to multiple surgeries, I.V. anti-biotics, and diflucin to kill the yeast overgrowth).

Note: For 6 glorious months, Zantac, a histamine 2 blocker eliminated the airborne wheat allergy, but, then I had a couple more surgeries and Zantac stopped working. That is when my doc ran the flora test, she suspected the surgeries wiped out my intestinal flora and made my allergies out of control worse, because my immune system was down. She was right, and so far so good. I am no longer having to wear an allergy mask in the grocery store. Thank God, and this smart doctor for fixing me!!!!

jeaucamom Newbie

Has anyone tried Garden of Life probiotics and digestive enzymes? I love his other products but I am NEW to all this!!

IrishHeart Veteran

For those who take digestive enzymes regularly, do you take one at every meal regardless of what you're eating?

Does it take a few days/weeks before they really start doing their job?

Has anyone found a good one that's geared toward dairy/soy/gluten intolerance?

Thanks!

Peggy

Yes, yes, and yes :)

Enzymedica Digest Gold.

Archived