This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Trip To New Orleans Gluten Free

srall

srall Contributor

Hi all! We are headed to New Orleans next week to enjoy some hot and humid weather and fine gluten free cuisine.

Last time I was there I had the best french toast I have ever tasted in my life...along with all the other NO delicacies, most of which I can't spell: gumbo, begniets?, po'boys, lots of yummy beer. This time I have a 9 year old fellow gfdf child with me and I'm guessing it's going to be very different. (Re reading it's funny that they are "NO" delicacies to us as far as we're concerned)

We are staying at the Riverside Hilton which on the map looks like we can fairy easily get to the French Quarter. The hotel has a couple of pretty pricey restaurants which I'm guessing will be our only options there.

Any recommendations for this area for gluten free eating? I don't want to say money isn't an object, because of course it is, but we know when we travel that we just have to pay more for our food. Plus it beats spending the vacation in bed or in the bathroom. So...I'll take any and all suggestions.

Also, let me know if it's a place I"ll need to make reservations before I go. With a child we can obviously eat pretty early but I know it can get pretty busy.

TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I am not familiar with any specific restaurants, but the below link appears that you may have many options:

Open Original Shared Link

lovegrov Collaborator

Virtually any of the finer restaurants in the French Quarter will have a chef who knows about gluten, although NO cuisine is rife with gluten. It's expensive, but I'd consider Commander's Palace, which is a streetcar ride up St. Charles to the Garden District (or take your car if you have one). Delicious and they know about special diets. The Acme Oyster Bar in the Quarter uses corn meal for fish and other things, but check if the fryer is dedicated. Broiled, grilled, or steamed seafood will be OK, and jambalaya and red beans and rice are traditionally gluten-free. Gumbo (boo hoo) and etouffe (sp?) will pretty much always have wheat.

richard

tgrahek Newbie

New Orleans was one of our harder places to travel but we managed. The Lucky Dog hot dog stands are all over the French Quarter and the hot dogs and chili are gluten free and dairy free. The were very helpful with us in changing gloves and putting into a container that we could eat it without the bun. Super yummy!!

We had a great meal at Napoleon's in the French Quarter. The Red Beans and Rice meal came with sausage and salad and was delicious. I wish I were eating that right now!

Bubba Gumps is also in the French Quarter so that is an option. They take gluten free very seriously there and our waiter was so helpful and knowledgeable.

We had several meals in the Marriott where we stayed and twice we went next door for Arby's roast beef and horsey sauce.

Have a great trip! New Orleans is my favorite city in the world.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

moazzamtufail
    Newest Member
    moazzamtufail
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Celiac16
    • Celiac16
      Thanks @Scott AdamsYes I alternate between forms just to experiment. I definitely agree that there are probably a variety of nutrients I am probably lacking too. I forgot to mention @Sultana that I also experienced symptoms of acidosis that resolved with continuous thiamine supplementation- my bloodwork showed slightly elevated anion gaps (sign of acidosis) and elevated lactic acid (same) and was experiencing shortness of breath, tachycardia, etc that was dismissed as anxiety as it wasn’t off the charts enough… (I too went to the ER bc I felt so awful). When I was discharged home, I took the b1 and symptoms resolved.. After researching, I found studies by Dr Constantini with high dose thiamine for fatigue in IBD. (He did studies for many chronic diseases which were ameliorated by “high” dose b1). I’m not sure how reliable it is but I’ve read a lot of articles by Dr Lonsdale formally of the Cleveland clinic who did a lot of research into thiamine- apparently the sulfur component of thiamine promotes the excretion of metals ( whether good or bad, so manganese might be effected)… id like to cover my bases with a multivitamin but they usually make me feel off( Its a rabbit hole trying to find a good one - I know I don’t tolerate methylated forms and there are many variables it’s hard to narrow it down…) I take breaks with b1 too when the effects wear off but have come back to it repeatedly with renewed symptom relief. I’ve started to monitor my blood glucose at home too and it definitely lowers it.
    • plumbago
      @gameboy68   First, it looks like you do indeed have celiac disease, and a follow up with a gastroenterologist would seem to be in order. Many on these boards will draw your attention to the B12 and D3 levels. While those are important (you may have macrocytic anemia, often caused by low B12), what strikes me is your low sodium level. Your potassium is low, too, but for me, while yes, concerning, not as concerning as that low sodium. You need to follow up with your primary care provider about those two electrolytes. Often, if people are on certain blood pressure medications, those two numbers (those of sodium and potassium) bear monitoring. [Going back to read your OP, it may be loss of content from the GI tract, but I'm just speculating.] A good doc will repeat the labs (in the second batch) to verify that indeed they are accurate, and it's not lab or collection error. If they repeat, then your doctor will drill down to the cause. Please do follow up. Plumbago
    • gameboy68
      Thank you!  Below are the reference ranges for my lab: Gliadin Ab, IgG and IgA: Reference Range = below <20 Units | My value: 4 Transglutaminase IgA, IgG Abs: Reference Range = below <4 U/ml | My value: <2 IgA: Reference Range = 70-400 | My value: 174   Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy: Reference Range = 31-80 | My value: 22.6 Vitamin B12: Reference Range = 232-1245 | My value: 195 AST: Reference Range = 13-35 U/L | My value: 10 ALT: Reference Range = 7-38 U/L | My Value: 6 Sodium: Reference Range = 136-144 mmol/L | My value: 130 Potassium: Reference Range = 3.7-5.1 mmol/L | My value: 3.5 CO2: Reference Range = 22-30 mmol/L | My value: 20 MCV: Reference Range = 80-100 | My value: 79
    • cristiana
      Hello @brian1 I'm a UK based Moderator here on the forum.  If you are British, you may find that in your region you might be able to get certain gluten-free food (usually staples like bread) on prescription.  I recommend you ring Coeliac UK for the most up-to-date advice on this. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/ There is some advice here for UK coeliacs which might also be of use, on how to best navigate the gluten-free diet on a budget. https://www.coeliac.org.uk/information-and-support/living-gluten-free/the-gluten-free-diet/gluten-free-diet-on-a-budget/ I am afraid I don't know anything about the benefits you mention but maybe the charity can help? Cristiana