• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Vinegar Question

6 posts in this topic

I've read MANY times on here and other places that when something says "Vinegar", it HAS to (legally, it seemed) be "Apple Cider Vinegar"...is that not true? because on Kraft's website this is what it says: "Vinegar listed in the ingredient statement of Kraft products means distilled vinegar is used. Per our ingredient suppliers, the distilled vinegar we use does not contain gluten."

many people have always said that if it's distilled vinegar, it HAS to say distilled before it but is that now the case now or something?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

In an ingredient list, ingredients are separated by commas. Between consecutive commas is the name of an ingredient, which may involve more than one word. The whole ingredient name must be considered, not the individual words in it.

"Vinegar" is a different ingredient from "Distilled Vinegar." "Malt Vinegar" is yet another. The first two are gluten-free, the last one is not. My understanding is that the single-word ingredient "vinegar" in the US refers to apple cider vinegar (which may be distilled). "Distilled vinegar" can be from apple or other sources. Distillation renders it gluten-free.

Malt vinegar is not distilled, and is usually made from barley, a gluten grain.

Like you said, "Vinegar" is different from "Distilled Vinegar" but what Kraft is saying is that whenever it says "Vinegar", it's distilled vinegar...I'm one of the people that reacts to distilled things and I was under the impression that since the sauce says "Vinegar", it's definitely apple cider vinegar like I've read so many times...but they're saying that their "vinegar" is a distilled vinegar, which means it could be from wheat

I've been feeling sick recently so it just made me curious...I thought the single word "vinegar" was without a doubt apple cider vinegar but that quote from before shows it's a distilled vinegar

I would draw the conclusion that it is distilled vinegar made from apple cider.

Click here for the FDA definition of "Vinegar" and other ingredient names containing the word vinegar.

Item 1 in the list is the relevant one. It says: The product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of the juice of apples. It is neither requires, nor prohibits, distillation as part of the process.

very interesting, thanks! it caught me off guard because one of their sauces says "Vinegar" AND "Apple Cider Vinegar" in the ingredients...I guess the first one is distilled apple cider vinegar and the second one is regular apple cider vinegar then

Ads by Google:

I love this board. Two years on here and I am still learning new and helpful things. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Vshl92

• Topics

• Make sure that you ask the doctor how long she has to stop the supplements before you have her levels tested and be sure to take them all with you when you have the appointment so the doctor knows what she is taking.
    • Talk to your doctor. With your family history and symptoms he/she may be able to diagnose based on resolution of your symptoms and family history. Also check with your local hospital if it has it's own lab.  Mine covered any labs at a greatly reduced cost based on a sliding fee scale. Did you have an MRI before they did the spinal? Celiacs with neuro impact will have white spots on an MRI that resemble the lesions found with MS. Many neuro doctors don't know this. I went through what you did and they did a spinal on me also based on the MRI results. If my doctor had know what the UBOs (unidentified bright objects) were I would have been diagnosed a couple years sooner than I was. Make sure if you supplement that you ask your doctor which ones you need to stop taking and for how long before they do a blood test to check levels. Sublingual B12 is a good idea when we have nervous system issues, but needs to be stopped for at least a week for an accurate blood level on testing. I hope you get some answers and feel better soon.
    • Thanks for that.  Will get her tested for deficiencies.  I did take her to a naturopath and get her on a bunch of vitamins, but she never was tested via bloods, so will get on to that, thanks  
    • Hi Could a mod please move this post:   and my reply below to a new thread when they get a chance? Thanks! Matt
    • Hello and welcome Firstly, don't worry about it but for ease your post (and hopefully my reply) will probably be moved to its own thread. That will make it easier for others to see it and reply and also help Galaxy's own thread here on track and making sense.  The antibodies that the celiac tests look for can drop very quickly, so... maybe? Celiac is difficult to test for, there are different tests and sometimes someone doesnt test on one but does on the other. If you can get a copy of the tests and post it here the community may be able to help explain the results.  It may have shown damage to the villi, the little tendrils in your intestine that help you extract nutrients from your food. Celiac is one, but not the only, way in which they can get damaged leading to a vast number of potential symptoms and further making diagnosis a tricky proposition. Definitely, there's a connection. Here's a page that explains it in detail: https://stomachachefree.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/liver-disease-in-celiacs/ Fantastic  It sounds as if your doctors were happy to diagnose you on the basis of the endoscopy? It may be then that you've found your answer. I hope so, you've clearly had a rotten and very scary time.  I'm sure with the positive reaction to the diet you want to go on and get healthy, but I would only add that you should discuss this with your doctors, because they may want to exclude other potential causes if they've not confirmed celiac at this point. Check out the advice for newly diagnosed here: To your family I'd simply say that celiac is a disease of the autoimmune system, the part of our body that fights diseases and keeps us safe. In celiac people the autoimmune system see's the gluten protein found in wheat, barley, or rye grains as a threat to the system and it produces antibodies to attack it and in doing so attacks it's own body as well. It's genetic in component so close family members should consider a test if they have any of the many symptoms. There's roughly 1 person in 100 with celiac but most of them don't know it and are risking getting or staying sick by not finding out.  There's further info for them and you here: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/announcement/3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/ I'm going to ask a mod to move your post and my reply to a new thread, but wanted to give you an answer first The good news is you've found a great site and there will be lots of support for you here. You've also got 'lucky' in that if you're going to have an autoimmune condition, celiac is a good one  Most react really well to the gluten free diet and you will hopefully have much more healing to come! Best wishes Matt
  • Upcoming Events