This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Gluten Free And Sacred

hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18 Apprentice

I have recently found myself to be gluten intolerant and have since had to go gluten free. Lately I have just been feeling very scared about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying things that I have not had before. Like chicken I have no problem with but I am still very hesitant to have red meat or dairy and I am getting very frustrated because I feel like I am punishing myself and I really shouldn't be. I am so afraid to try something that half the time I won't eat it because I am so afraid of getting sick. I have found a lot of gluten free products that I like but at the same time I feel like I am just eating the same thing over and over again and I am getting frustrated because I want to branch out but at the same time I do not want to because I am afraid of getting sick. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I have recently found myself to be gluten intolerant and have since had to go gluten free. Lately I have just been feeling very scared about stepping out of my comfort zone and trying things that I have not had before. Like chicken I have no problem with but I am still very hesitant to have red meat or dairy and I am getting very frustrated because I feel like I am punishing myself and I really shouldn't be. I am so afraid to try something that half the time I won't eat it because I am so afraid of getting sick. I have found a lot of gluten free products that I like but at the same time I feel like I am just eating the same thing over and over again and I am getting frustrated because I want to branch out but at the same time I do not want to because I am afraid of getting sick. Any advice?

Why does red meat scare you? Is it because it is harder to digest? Why exactly are you afraid of dairy too? It will be easier for us to direct you if we know exactly what it is about those things that has worried you.

By fresh vegetables,meat and fruit, they are all naturally gluten free.

hobbitqueen18 Apprentice

Why does red meat scare you? Is it because it is harder to digest? Why exactly are you afraid of dairy too? It will be easier for us to direct you if we know exactly what it is about those things that has worried you.

By fresh vegetables,meat and fruit, they are all naturally gluten free.

I guess a lot of it is that because when I got really sick those were the things I was eating and back then nothing would stay down. Also my doctor keeps suggesting that red meat may not be the best thing. With dairy I almost always seem to get diarrhea or a stomach ache after eating it. Especially ice cream, although it doesn't usually happen for several hours after I have eaten it so I am not sure if there's something else that's going on. Over all I guess I am just afraid to step out of my comfort zone for no other reason than that I am afraid.

squirmingitch Veteran

Have you been tested for celiac? It's sounding more like you're celiac. And you could be gluten intolerant with the added bonus of lactose intolerant. So don't eat dairy. You can always try it again in 3 or 4 months.

And maybe you shouldn't eat those processed foods even though they are gluten free. They are still processed foods & the gluten-free snacks are still junk food --- just b/c they are gluten-free doesn't make them not junk.

Why don't you just go to a whole foods diet for about 3 months? Meats, fresh or frozen fruits & veggies, nuts. This way of eating would be the kindest to your system. How about pork? Have you been eating that? Why not try one new food per week? Pick one thing & try it, then add another next week, then another & so on. Baby steps.

LauraB0927 Apprentice

If red meat is too difficult for you to digest, try eating grass-fed red meats/steaks. Since they are not pumped full of antibiotics, steroids, and all that other crap, its much easier on the stomach. This was a recommendation from my nutritionist which I have been following and it's been working so far! Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but if it can expand your diet, it may be worth a shot...good luck!

benXX Rookie

I guess a lot of it is that because when I got really sick those were the things I was eating and back then nothing would stay down. Also my doctor keeps suggesting that red meat may not be the best thing. With dairy I almost always seem to get diarrhea or a stomach ache after eating it. Especially ice cream, although it doesn't usually happen for several hours after I have eaten it so I am not sure if there's something else that's going on. Over all I guess I am just afraid to step out of my comfort zone for no other reason than that I am afraid.

If you are really dairy intolerant (milk proteins), it is not that strange to have problems with beef-proteins as well. I have that too and so have many others.

Just google "meat and dairy intolerance" and you'll see you are not alone in this.

Archived