This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Five Guys Burgers And Fries & Msg?

josh052980

josh052980 Enthusiast

I ate at Five Guys last night, which is awesome, they're great about gluten free, but I think they're pretty heavy on MSG. I've always gotten tired/achy feeling arms, and heart palpitations for about 2 days if I have MSG, and I seem to get these symptoms from Five Guys, almost every time I'm there. It's not a glutening, my reaction to gluten and MSG is very different, this is definitely MSG. Through trial and error I've noticed it happens with their cajun fries, A-1 sauce and mustard. I'm guessing they add MSG to these things?

• 4 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ray232 Newbie

I had the same exact reaction after eating the Cajun fries. Must have MSG.

kareng Grand Master
5 minutes ago, Ray232 said:

I had the same exact reaction after eating the Cajun fries. Must have MSG.

It doesn't list msg in the ingredients -

"Cajun Style Potatoes, Refined Peanut Oil, Salt, Cajun Seasoning: Blend of Garlic, Salt, Onion, Paprika, Oregano, White Pepper, Red Pepper, Spice "

Open Original Shared Link

emma6 Enthusiast

sometimes there is msg in sauces, tomato, bbq mayo etc. I get really bad headaches from the tiniest amount of msg/artificial colors/flavours so I avoid most of them.

• 2 months later...
Bjmtx Newbie

I just had a plain fries and bottle of water from 5 Guys and suffered for the msg. I know they have it in that product based on my reaction. I ate nothing else prior or during or after. Their published ingredients specifically says they do not use msg on their fries. I won't eat there again. Ever.

psawyer Proficient

"Their published ingredients specifically says they do not use msg on their fries. "

So, do you have any actual proof that there is MSG in their fries? I'm sorry that you were ill after eating there, but a single reaction by one person is not proof. I eat their fries from time to time, and have never had an issue, although I am not highly reactive to MSG.

GFinDC Veteran

Their published allergens list doesn't show any MSG in their products.

Maybe you are reacting to something else though?  Perhaps check all the ingredients for the foods you ate that day to see if there are any common ingredients?

Open Original Shared Link

Being sick and not knowing what caused it is no fun.  Sorry.

And welcome to the forum1 :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Might be a cross  reaction with something from the fryer, a condiment, contaminated serving wear/gloves. Or it could even be you grabbed something or touched something on the table from a  previous customer (condiment bottle  with smears on it, something under the  edge of the table, etc. before grabbing and eating a fry. -_- so many possibilities I know it can drive you nuts when you can not narrow it down.

Archived