This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Auto Immune Disorders

redgouramis

redgouramis Newbie

I was finally diagnosed as having celiac sprue with DH about 2 years ago by a chiropractor specially trained in muscle testing. I am curious, however, if anyone on this blog has found they have other auto-immune disorders? I already know I have low insulin and low thyroid and have migraine headaches with an aura. I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. Anyone else on this blog have this problem? Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I was finally diagnosed as having celiac sprue with DH about 2 years ago by a chiropractor specially trained in muscle testing. I am curious, however, if anyone on this blog has found they have other auto-immune disorders? I already know I have low insulin and low thyroid and have migraine headaches with an aura. I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. Anyone else on this blog have this problem? Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Hello and welcome! Have you been tested by a medical doctor or had a metabolic panel done? Have you had a full Celiac Panel taken?

Other auto immune issues are common. I would suggest you see a medical doctor, not a chiropractor.

IrishHeart Veteran

Welcome!

I agree with Lisa.

Sorry, but Celiac is not diagnosed by a chiropractor or by muscle testing. There is no scientific or medical evidence to support this practice.

Celiac is DXed by blood panels and/or biopsy, medical history and genetic testing.

DH is DXed by biopsy of the area around the lesions.

You should be evaluated by a medical doctor who is knowledgeable about celiac disease so you can be tested for this and other AI diseases. See a Celiac-savvy GI or an endocrinologist.

But, yes to answer your question, many AI diseases are associated with celiac disease.

Skylark Collaborator

It's not that hard to identify DH. Blisters? Itches like a SOB? Goes away off gluten? Bingo. ;)

I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease, which is autoimmune. There is a blood test for it. I don't know much about adult onset type 1 diabetes but I know that it's possible. Sounds like you need an endocrinologist, not a chiro.

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

I have a hypothyroid.

• 2 weeks later...
beachbirdie Contributor

Yes, lots of people with celiac can have other autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune thyroid (Graves or Hashimoto's) are very common, as is Type 1 Diabetes. There are others that don't happen quite as often. I think autoimmune hepatitis is another one.

One specific test they can run is the anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA) which is a measure of autoimmunity but not specific for any disease. Usually an endocrinologist, rheumatologist, or GP would order them, don't know about chiropractor. Otherwise they can run more disease-specific tests, but then they'd want to do that on the basis of symptoms. Unless of course you're paying out of pocket. If there's no insurance company to fight with you might get a whole array of testing done...go to a place like Open Original Shared Link for more information about tests and what they look for.

There are lots of us with more than one autoimmune condition. <_<

nvsmom Community Regular

I take a supplement daily, one which dilates the veins and another which constricts the veins to prevent the migraines. .... Also, how do we find out if we have other auto immune disorders?

Those two meds sound contradictory... tricky.

I have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ITP), which is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets (for blood clotting). I found out when... well, I wouldn't stop bleeding. :P I've heard ITP is linked to celiac but I'm not positive. For other disorders, you would have to test for tem specifically if they are suspected.

Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Those two meds sound contradictory... tricky.

I have idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura ITP), which is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets (for blood clotting). I found out when... well, I wouldn't stop bleeding. :P I've heard ITP is linked to celiac but I'm not positive. For other disorders, you would have to test for tem specifically if they are suspected.

Good luck.

In this list of diseases and disorders associated with celiac disease, ITP is indeed listed---look under blood disorders. Just FYI.

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

In this list of diseases and disorders associated with celiac disease, ITP is indeed listed---look under blood disorders. Just FYI.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks, IrishHeart. I've heard they think there is a link, I just haven't found that they've proved it definitively... But I believe it probably is linked.

It's just so annoying to know that this other problem (ITP), that almost killed me, could have been prevented if my childhood doctors had been a bit sharper about my symptoms! I'm sure a LOT of people around here are in the same boat as me. :unsure:

Archived