• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Need Help Finding Subs For 2 Ingredients

22 posts in this topic

I made this today & it was to die for!!!!! I think this recipe has been on this board a dozen times. This is the first bread my hubs actually liked! But both of us at this point in time have to be low iodine AND low salicylate. SO, I need to eliminate the egg yolk b/c of high iodine & sub something for the almond flour b/c of high salicylates.

I know you guys are inventive & can help me. I was wondering if just using the egg white alone would work --- if so that would solve that problem.

Here is the recipe:

1 large egg<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">2 Tbs. brown rice flour<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1 Tbs. almond meal<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1 Tbs. golden flax meal<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1/2 tsp. baking powder<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">3/4 tsp. sugar<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1/2 tsp. cocoa powder<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">shake of salt<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I made this today & it was to die for!!!!! I think this recipe has been on this board a dozen times. This is the first bread my hubs actually liked! But both of us at this point in time have to be low iodine AND low salicylate. SO, I need to eliminate the egg yolk b/c of high iodine & sub something for the almond flour b/c of high salicylates.

I know you guys are inventive & can help me. I was wondering if just using the egg white alone would work --- if so that would solve that problem.

Here is the recipe:

1 large egg

2 Tbs. brown rice flour

1 Tbs. almond meal

1 Tbs. golden flax meal

1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. cocoa powder

shake of salt

Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

Whew, thanks Jestgar. That was hard to read.

I'd try subbing more flax meal for the almond flour. You might not miss the egg yolk with more flax because flax is a common egg substitute. I'd throw in a wee bit of water or melted coconut oil if the batter seems thicker than usual from missing the fluid in the egg yolk.

What is Almond Meal? Where can you find it?

Ground almonds. I get Bob's Red Mill brand at my local health food store. It's kind of pricy but really good. You can make it yourself by putting blanched almonds into a food processor. Just be sure you don't overdo it or you get almond butter. :lol:

Ads by Google:

Thanks jestgar for fixing that for me. I didn't even check it after posting.huh.gif Why does it do that when I copy & paste anyway?

Skylark, thank you!!!!!! I will try that. I swear it was really hard not to make about 5 more after tasting the first one & sit down on the floor & just gorge on BREAD! It tasted like homemade whole wheat bread; something that my dad made often around our house. Gaaaa, it was GOOD! I'll try throwing in a bit of water as coconut oil is out as a double whammy of both iodine & sals.

Oh this thing was so quick & easy too!

You can also get it from Nuts.com. It is also known as almond flour. Before I bought it I checked & it seems it goes by either name; almond meal or almond flour but they are both the same thing. Then I found out I have to go low sal for some months. But it's in the fridge waiting......

Can u also grind up those tapioca pellet things too for flour?

Can u also grind up those tapioca pellet things too for flour?

You can buy tapioca flour. I don't know about grinding up the tapioca pellet things. Maybe someone else will.

You can use just egg white alone (I do that in my bread too) and as Skylark says, just add a bit of water if it is too dry.

You can use just egg white alone (I do that in my bread too) and as Skylark says, just add a bit of water if it is too dry.

Thank you dear.

You can try to substitute almond flour with some ground cashew nuts, they are low in salicylates. I am allergic to almonds and always use whatever other nuts I have, never noticed any big difference in flavor or texture. Poppy seeds are also low in sals, although they might give a bit different flavor to the bread.

Ah! Thank you Pac. I have cashews & they are one of my safe snacks right now b/c of the low sals. Good tip!

Oh yum! I got all the ingredients and made this today. You were right! I used sweet white rice instead of brown rice.

I just thought I would update.

I tried the recipe today using just egg white & leaving out the almond flour but increasing the flax meal to 1 and 3/4 Tblsp. plus adding just a bit of water. It was good! I think it needs a bit more sugar though as the flax makes it a bit bitter.

Next I'm going to try with the cashew flour instead of almond flour.

I wonder how I could make a white-ish bread version of this?

Glad you made some progress on the recipe! Try golden flax meal when you get your next bag. I find it's milder-tasting.

Glad you made some progress on the recipe! Try golden flax meal when you get your next bag. I find it's milder-tasting.

I just ordered some golden flax meal today along with cashew flour, hazelnut flour, teff flour, sweet rice flour & I forget what all else. I'm going to experiment with making a white-ish bread version of this with the sweet rice flour & cashew flour.

Oh, & I toasted some of the last I made & spread cashew butter on the warm toast & I felt like I'd died & gone to heaven.

I find chia seed works in place of flax, but imparts no discernible taste. They form a similar gel when soaked in water too. I find it takes about 15 minutes or so to fully gel. The seeds are very tiny - no grinding required. White chia would probably make less an impact on color than the black chia. Not sure of the proportion, but if memory serves, the suggestion given in the articles I've read was that less chia is required compared to flax. I want to say 1 tsp chia in place of 1 Tbsp flax meal, but I'd have to look it up again.

Thanks RiceGuy! Matter of fact I got a delivery today of a bunch of flours & such i had ordered along with white chia seed. YAY! So I will be able to do lots of experimenting.

Does chia seed make stuff crunchy? Or when cooked does it soften?

Does chia seed make stuff crunchy? Or when cooked does it soften?

No additional crunch that I've noticed. Actually, I'd say if anything it tends to do what other water-retaining binders do, which is to add moistness. Though not nearly as much as the gums.

No additional crunch that I've noticed. Actually, I'd say if anything it tends to do what other water-retaining binders do, which is to add moistness. Though not nearly as much as the gums.

Thanks! smile.gif