This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ear And Jaw Pain Anyone?

GFceliacgirl

GFceliacgirl Newbie

I need to go back to doctor about my ears and jaw. I'm a little burnt out on going to doctors. Anyone experience this along with severe neck and back spasms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

I have had terrible neck pain for 3 years. My jaw clicks a lot too and is very painful. This all started when celiac did. I think it's all connected.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm in agony from it. Neck, back, jaw, ear.... all my joints, muscles, tendons....I am in PT rehabbing right now.

It lessens as the inflammation goes down, but I have a long way to go. I was UnDXed for years.

You may see relief sooner!

rosetapper23 Explorer

Have any (or all) of you yet tried taking silica and collagen? I've had problems off and on for many years with jaw and ear pain, and I've found that the following products have helped me: BioSil and NeoCell Super Collagen. I also take a number of natural products for joint pain that seem to work well for me and a few other celiacs that I know: Dr. Christopher's Joint Formula and Complete Tissue and Bone (these are VERY inexpensive online). Before I knew I had celiac, I controlled the pain with Calorad (bovine collagen), but it's a bit expensive.

Also, I've said it before--and I'll say it again--manganese is also very important for maintaining healthy connective tissues and muscles, and we are oftentimes low in this particular mineral. Chelated manganese is cheap...and could be a cheap fix if that is what you're lacking. Everything I've listed is inexpensive, except the BioSil, so you might consider trying the chelated manganese, NeoCell Super Collagen, and Dr. Christopher's products to see if you get any relief. These are all EXCELLENT products that I've used for years, and I'm rarely in pain now (pretty much only when I get glutened).

IrishHeart Veteran

BioSil and NeoCell Super Collagen.

(bovine collagen), but it's a bit expensive.

Chelated manganese

Dr. Christopher's products

I heard you sweetie!

and I have always appreciated your advice.

I have done the Biosil; I do take the Curaphen still--great product: I also tried Hyaluronic acid, upon the advice of my MT/PT and I just ordered the NeoCell Super Collagen. I also do flaxseed oil and L-glutamine.

Little by little, I reduce the inflammation and I am not ready to jump off a cliff anymore. :)

GFreeMO Proficient

Have any (or all) of you yet tried taking silica and collagen? I've had problems off and on for many years with jaw and ear pain, and I've found that the following products have helped me: BioSil and NeoCell Super Collagen. I also take a number of natural products for joint pain that seem to work well for me and a few other celiacs that I know: Dr. Christopher's Joint Formula and Complete Tissue and Bone (these are VERY inexpensive online). Before I knew I had celiac, I controlled the pain with Calorad (bovine collagen), but it's a bit expensive.

Also, I've said it before--and I'll say it again--manganese is also very important for maintaining healthy connective tissues and muscles, and we are oftentimes low in this particular mineral. Chelated manganese is cheap...and could be a cheap fix if that is what you're lacking. Everything I've listed is inexpensive, except the BioSil, so you might consider trying the chelated manganese, NeoCell Super Collagen, and Dr. Christopher's products to see if you get any relief. These are all EXCELLENT products that I've used for years, and I'm rarely in pain now (pretty much only when I get glutened).

Thank you for this info. I will check into it. I appreciate it. :)

GFceliacgirl Newbie

Thank you so much. Very helpful. Just diagnosed in March this year and I'm glad to have found these Boards for chat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dcns65 Apprentice

I suffered for 9 months with ear, jaw, shoulder and neck pain. (I am not celiac-the rest of the family is!) I was treated for ear infections, had CT scans but no one knew what was going on. I was in pain most of the day. It was the third ENT I saw that diagnosed TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder). My jaw never had locked but I had been clenching my teeth and the muscles were tight. I saw a chiropractor that helped but the real relief came from the physical therapist. I still get occasional flare ups but have learned how to relax and the heating pad is my friend! :rolleyes: If you have been stressed it could be TMJ. Good luck!

sallyalewis Rookie

I had a migraine & sinus infection for 2 years.

I had 2 root canals, and it was suggested I have a 3rd root canal.

I was waiting for the new year insurance to roll around for the 3rd, and went gluten free.

The migraine & sinus infection were almost completely gone by the end of the first week!

About 3 months into being gluten free, I realized my 3rd tooth was no longer hurting!

All 3 teeth are on the bottom. I'm wondering if I really didn't need the first 2 root canals! :blink:

LauraB0927 Apprentice

7 years ago when I was in college, I had terrible TMJ where my jaw would click and become locked shut. I would be in so much pain and nothing relieved it - I was on Valium, had a mouth guard, and was going to the chiropractor which relieved some of the pain. I always struggled with sinus infections also. Hopefully it will start to go away now that I'm gluten free!!

rosetapper23 Explorer

What is interesting about jaw pain (and, yes, I'm referring to TMJ pain) is that I believe it occurs when the joint is too loose rather than too tight. I came to this conclusion when I experienced horrendous TMJ pain starting in the fifth month of each of my pregnancies. This pain coincided with the my body's increased production of prolactin, which occurs when the body begins to prepare itself for giving birth. The prolactin causes the tendons and ligaments to loosen up so that tissues in the pelvis can expand to allow the baby to pass through the birth canal. During the release of the prolactin, I would also experience pain in a knee joint that had been damaged due to an earlier fall (soft tissue injury). When the TMJ pain and knee pain occurred beginning at the very same time with each pregnancy, I thought, "Okay, this is the result of increased prolactin, which is loosening my joints, including the TMJ."

Because of this "ah hah" moment, whenever I experience joint and TMJ pain, I start taking chelated manganese, because it is the nutrient that keeps our ligaments and tendons from becoming floppy or loose (just like with prolactin). It's a cheap fix if this is what is happening to you. People are oftentimes deficient in manganese, and, of course, celiacs experience deficiencies more than the general population. I hope you'll give chelated manganese a try.

Archived