This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Broth Powder

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Hey guys....again. I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good gluten free and yeast free bouillon cube or powder. I found some with chicken but not beef :-( I live in Chattanooga and I usually shop at earth fare or fresh market, but I am willing to buy online if I find a good organic brand.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hey guys....again. I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good gluten free and yeast free bouillon cube or powder. I found some with chicken but not beef :-( I live in Chattanooga and I usually shop at earth fare or fresh market, but I am willing to buy online if I find a good organic brand.

I buy HerbOX granular. all the time. I know it's gluten free, but not too sure about yeast free. Is there a reason why you would want a yeast free bouillon? Is yeast your concern?

Adalaide Mentor

I'm not supposed to be having any canned broths or even bouillon or anything like that. I am also yeast free. I wonder if I'm supposed to be broth free because of the yeast since I'm okay to make my own stock. That's a great thing for me to investigate and I'm glad you asked about it since it gives me something to do tomorrow. Now I'm kind of excited as I've been craving my favorite carrot soup that takes chicken broth.

I just googled it and apparently there is a brand called marigold swiss that makes a vegetable one. I'll have to see if it's something I can have, I'm a little excited.

psawyer Proficient

I can't offer specific brand advice, but my experience over the years has been that most cubes are held together with gluten-containing binders. You are more likely to find a gluten-free powder, even within the same brand.

I buy HerbOX all the time. I know it's gluten free, but not too sure about yeast free. Is there a reason why you would want a yeast free bouillon? Is yeast your concern?

I feel I had a reaction to yeast once before. I used bobs red mill pizza crust mix and after eating it my throat and or esophagus swelled and a spot I scratched on my arm while mixing puffed up with red dots like poison ivy. I have used all kinds of flour mixes with the same ingredients except the yeast. Until I speak with my allergist I would rather just avoid it.

I'm not supposed to be having any canned broths or even bouillon or anything like that. I am also yeast free. I wonder if I'm supposed to be broth free because of the yeast since I'm okay to make my own stock. That's a great thing for me to investigate and I'm glad you asked about it since it gives me something to do tomorrow. Now I'm kind of excited as I've been craving my favorite carrot soup that takes chicken broth.

I just googled it and apparently there is a brand called marigold swiss that makes a vegetable one. I'll have to see if it's something I can have, I'm a little excited.

:-) yeah I bought a powder based one made by "vogue". So what all specifically in broth powders were you supposed to avoid? Just the yeast? I was just wondering why you said you weren't supposed to have any of it.

I can't offer specific brand advice, but my experience over the years has been that most cubes are held together with gluten-containing binders. You are more likely to find a gluten-free powder, even within the same brand.

Haha that explains a lot! Thank you. I don't believe there is anything wrong with powder form. It works just as well as cubes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

genieb Newbie

I stopped using the powder/cubes as well as canned broth many years ago due to the high sodium content. At first I looked for low sodium varieties, but finally decided it was easier to make my own. That's something you might think about -- it's not difficult and you can make a big batch and freeze it in smaller containers to have on hand.

Adalaide Mentor

:-) yeah I bought a powder based one made by "vogue". So what all specifically in broth powders were you supposed to avoid? Just the yeast? I was just wondering why you said you weren't supposed to have any of it.

I'm tyramine free which is complicated. Generally though what I'm avoiding though (that would be an issue with the broth) is aged, canned, cured, processed meats or any meats treated with meat tenderizer, soy, yeast, excessive amounts of salt or msg. There are probably more things on my list that could be in vegetable broths but it's stinking early. Mostly though, more than I want bouillon I'm lazy. I'm also pretty much out of room in my freezer and deep freeze.

I'm tyramine free which is complicated. Generally though what I'm avoiding though (that would be an issue with the broth) is aged, canned, cured, processed meats or any meats treated with meat tenderizer, soy, yeast, excessive amounts of salt or msg. There are probably more things on my list that could be in vegetable broths but it's stinking early. Mostly though, more than I want bouillon I'm lazy. I'm also pretty much out of room in my freezer and deep freeze.

Yeah I don't know the first thing about that. All I know is that it does unfortunately have soy. Ya never know though, maybe you can find some that does not.

Adalaide Mentor

Hey, I don't know if you're looking specifically for the convenience of a cube or powder or if you're just looking for the flavors. I was at Costco the other day and while wandering around found a case of chicken stock that happens to be organic (which isn't like woohoo or anything but I know some people are into that) and is super tasty. There isn't a weird thing in it at all. And best of all, it's CHEAP! It was $12 for 6 boxes of stock. That's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the boxes at the grocery stores.

So anywho, if you have a Costco near you it's the Kirkland brand and it's super yummy. I highly recommend it if it suits your needs.

Hey, I don't know if you're looking specifically for the convenience of a cube or powder or if you're just looking for the flavors. I was at Costco the other day and while wandering around found a case of chicken stock that happens to be organic (which isn't like woohoo or anything but I know some people are into that) and is super tasty. There isn't a weird thing in it at all. And best of all, it's CHEAP! It was $12 for 6 boxes of stock. That's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the boxes at the grocery stores.

So anywho, if you have a Costco near you it's the Kirkland brand and it's super yummy. I highly recommend it if it suits your needs.

Yes I live in Ooltewah, TN. That is north of Chattanooga and the nearest Costco is down in Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia. I have never been inside but if they had a good selection for people like us, and prices that are fair, I may chech it out. Right now I do most of my shopping at earth fare and fresh market. I buy everything all natural. Is there a good selection at places like that?

Adalaide Mentor

I love the selection and am thrilled that I got a membership. I get large sliced "bricks" of fresh mozzarella. They have an off-brand of something like Cocoa Pebbles that I'm looking forward to when I can have chocolate again. There's another cereal I get I like a lot that's all multi-grain and healthy and is probably natural. They were really awesome though. I explained that I have celiac and they let me in to browse the selection before I bought my membership. They should be more than happy to accommodate you the same way and you can decide for yourself if they have enough natural stuff to suit you.

Also, if you do decide on a membership make sure you sign up for the email and mail stuff. If I hadn't I wouldn't have known to pick up a pack of coupons at the desk. I went in this week and spent $140 but saved just over $50 with the coupons. I got the world's biggest jug of natural dish washing soap for like 8 bucks.

Archived