This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mineral Deficient

LeahBanicki

LeahBanicki Rookie

Had a rough patch and really struggling to keep eating when my guts are killing me. 5 days of D and now slightly afraid to eat. All my safe foods are bothering my delicate system.

My legs are crampy at night and now the extreme headaches have started up.

I started taking Magnesium and Calcium and it's slowly helping. I am starting to think I need to head back to the doctor. Worried about anemia and mineral deficiencies. Most multiple vitamins make me sick and really hurt once they are slightly digested. So tired of the IBS label that explains nothing.

The sublinguals cost so much that I opt out of them too often because the cost of my groceries is so high, my budget is toast.

I know that I just need to be patient but being able to share my issues somewhere does make me feel better.

Now to find the energy to cook something...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Had a rough patch and really struggling to keep eating when my guts are killing me. 5 days of D and now slightly afraid to eat. All my safe foods are bothering my delicate system.

I started taking Magnesium and Calcium and it's slowly helping. I am starting to think I need to head back to the doctor. Worried about anemia and mineral deficiencies. Most multiple vitamins make me sick and really hurt once they are slightly digested. So tired of the IBS label that explains nothing.

The sublinguals cost so much that I opt out of them too often because the cost of my groceries is so high, my budget is toast.

I know that I just need to be patient but being able to share my issues somewhere does make me feel better.

Hi Leah

I don't recall your history, so I will assume that you have had a diagnosis. Have you eliminated dairy? Dairy is absorbed on the tips of your villi and if they are gone due to Celiac...you get the same sort of symptoms like those with gluten.

Magnesium can give you diarrhea. Go easy with that.

Keep a food journal and document everything that gets past your mouth, from meds, lotions, lipsticks or balms and shampoo. Check your dog food, cat litter. And get a toaster for your own use only. Do you see the trend?

LeahBanicki Rookie

I was diagnosed in 10/2010

Still healing, quit dairy for a long time and hadn't had any problems with it for a few months.

It's fun cause our dogs are gluten free now too and so much healthier. My older dogs were having seizures and hasn't had any since we switched to 'Taste of the Wild' brand.

I was the kind that gained weight while I was still undiagnosed and starving. I have been steadily losing weight and wondering if any of the fat I am losing was storing gluten.

I have heard that can happen with leaky gut... Not sure if it's true.

I am hyper viligant about all the extras, but fruit like apples peaches pears, etc just kill me. No citrus of any kind, not even a sip or horrible D for days.

It's funny cause the last two days of taking 1000mg mg mag/cal/D in 250mg increments has actually helped my D.

Just trying to be smart and write everything down.

thanks for the support! :)

flowerqueen Community Regular

Hi, sorry to hear you've been so ill. Did the crampiness in your legs and headaches start since you have the D? It could be that you are dehydrated, and need to step up the amount of water you are drinking. The other thing that crossed my mind is, thyroid problems. Have you had you thyroid checked to see if you are hypothyroid? I am both hypo-thyroid and Coeliac. They are both auto-immune diseases and as you may or may not be aware, if you have one auto-immune disease, the chances of having another increase. Also, you didn't say whether you eat dairy products. I still can't eat dairy even though I've been on a gluten free diet for a while. Also oats? If you are super-sensive, you may find you can't eat them either, even ones produced in a gluten free environment. You need to go back to the doctor for more tests. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!

Archived