• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Nightshade Intolerance?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new here to posting but have been reading the forum for awhile now. I have been gluten free for nearly two years due to suspected celiac disease. When I was tested, I'd already been gluten free for six months so all results said negative. I aslo had the gene testing which came back extremely low. I also have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism.

So, since having gone gluten-free, I've felt like a new person. Within three days of eating this way, my stomach felt like new. Fast forward to the last five months and I've been having episodes of diarrhea. Only in the morning, never at nights. I'm wondering if nightshades might be the culprit here. I am ridiculously careful about cc and my whole house is gluten-free. No chance of cc at all. I rarely eat out ever and if I do, it's just at PF Chang's. My symptoms are loose stool, cramps and diarrhea only in the mornings. Can a nightshade problem produce these symptoms? I have a feeling it might tomatoes and potatoes. I definitely cannot tolerate any paprika or cumin. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am highly frustrated since I am so careful about the gluten and having diarrhea for the last five months. Thanks so much! :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board!

I do find that nightshades as well as dairy give me those symptoms, and together...whoa! So it is possible for sure that nightshades could do that to you. I would remove them and see how you feel :D

Feel better! :)

Welcome to the board!

I do find that nightshades as well as dairy give me those symptoms, and together...whoa! So it is possible for sure that nightshades could do that to you. I would remove them and see how you feel :D

Feel better! :)

Thank you! I seem to only tolerate peppers from the nightshade family. No potatoes or tomatoes for me, lol. Dairy is up in the air for me right now. If I have milk that's cooked in something (like muffins or pancakes) then I'm fine. But if I eat ice cream, um, things aren't good the next morning as I end up with diarrhea.

Can I ask a question? Does anyone have trouble with oats too? I tried the Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free oats and man did I bloat up like a pregnant woman. It lasted for two days till I realized it must have been the oats since that was the only new thing I'd eaten.

Oats give many celiacs problems, even the certified gluten free oats. The oat protein seems to be a bit too closely related to the gliadin protein. The gluten avoidance trio is often modified to tack on oats as well.

Oats give many celiacs problems, even the certified gluten free oats. The oat protein seems to be a bit too closely related to the gliadin protein. The gluten avoidance trio is often modified to tack on oats as well.

What is the gluten avoidance trio? I've never heard of that before. Thanks!

Ads by Google:

What is the gluten avoidance trio? I've never heard of that before. Thanks!

Wheat, rye, barley

Wheat, rye, barley

Oh, ok gotcha. :) I'm already avoiding all of that due to suspected celiac disease. Thanks!