This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Immodium Not Working :(

Marie1976

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Sorry to be gross but I have diarrhea that will not stop. I don't know if I've been glutened or if I have stomach "flu," probably stomach flu since my son had diarrhea/vomiting for a few days. He's fine now but I'm miserable. I have been taking Immodium and it's having no effect. I'm so tired of running to the bathroom all day for two days. Anyone have any remedies? I'm kind of losing my mind. I've got my two little ones to take care of all day and I feel guilty parking them in front of the tv for hours on end. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry this is happening to you. If the D continues past tomorrow do get into see your doctor. It may be a virus but it also could be food poisoning so your doctor may want to do stool tests to make sure that you don't have something like salmonella etc.

Having immodium not work happened with me once and it did turn out to be salmonella. I suffered for 2 weeks before my doctor would test but when I finally did get the antibiotic the D stopped within a few hours.

I hope your feeling better soon.

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Sorry this is happening to you. If the D continues past tomorrow do get into see your doctor. It may be a virus but it also could be food poisoning so your doctor may want to do stool tests to make sure that you don't have something like salmonella etc.

Having immodium not work happened with me once and it did turn out to be salmonella. I suffered for 2 weeks before my doctor would test but when I finally did get the antibiotic the D stopped within a few hours.

I hope your feeling better soon.

Thanks. I had salmonella when I was 14. I had to be hospitalized because I got so dehydrated. I hope that's not what this is. Why did your doctor make you wait two weeks to do the test?? Right now I can't imagine going anywhere because I need to be near the bathroom. Ugh. I hope I don't need antibiotics; I had to take some because of a sinus infection/bronchitis that lasted six weeks. I have been taking Culturelle since I finished the antibiotics. My insides hurt. I wish I could get a new stomach and intestines like you can get new parts for a car.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have been taking Culturelle since I finished the antibiotics. My insides hurt. I wish I could get a new stomach and intestines like you can get new parts for a car.

Just a thought--is this the first time you have taken Culturelle or probiotics? I tried Culturelle once and had terrible nausea and diarrhea. I've yet to find a probiotic I can tolerate.

Maybe try not taking it for a few days and see if you feel better?

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Just a thought--is this the first time you have taken Culturelle or probiotics? I tried Culturelle once and had terrible nausea and diarrhea. I've yet to find a probiotic I can tolerate.

Maybe try not taking it for a few days and see if you feel better?

If it was the Culturelle, wouldn't I have a reaction right away? I've been taking it for a couple weeks. Hmmm... I have taken probiotics before, Bio-K. And haven't had any problems. But I guess anything is possible -- which is my usual problem. (Is it gluten cc? Is it this? Is it that? It's enough to drive a person crazy.) I'll lay off it anyway, just in case that's what it is. Thanks for the suggestion. At this point, I'm afraid to ingest anything. I can't take one more day of this.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks. I had salmonella when I was 14. I had to be hospitalized because I got so dehydrated. I hope that's not what this is. Why did your doctor make you wait two weeks to do the test??

I hope that is not what it is too. It sure is no fun, as you already know.

It was preCeliac diagnosis and my doctor(s) had diagnosed 'IBS' and since they couldn't find the cause of a lot of other issues I had I 'just wanted to be sick and was exagerating everything'. I knew right away that it wasn't my usual issues but the doctor wouldn't listen. Immodium worked for like an hour so I could pick up my kids from school but then wore off. I had to go back at least 3 times and beg before I got the stuff for the stool samples. I did get an apology the next day when they called in the script. I also fired the doctor.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I hope I don't need antibiotics; I had to take some because of a sinus infection/bronchitis that lasted six weeks. I have been taking Culturelle since I finished the antibiotics. My insides hurt. I wish I could get a new stomach and intestines like you can get new parts for a car.

The antibiotics may have allowed a bad bacteria to populate and I think the doctor can also tell this with the stool tests if that is the case.

I hate antibiotics also. I usually start with probiotics, (I just eat yogurt and saurkraut), as soon as I start the antibiotic. For me if I wait till I am done with the drug it is too late.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marie1976 Enthusiast

The antibiotics may have allowed a bad bacteria to populate and I think the doctor can also tell this with the stool tests if that is the case.

I hate antibiotics also. I usually start with probiotics, (I just eat yogurt and saurkraut), as soon as I start the antibiotic. For me if I wait till I am done with the drug it is too late.

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't know what I'd do without this message board! I'm feeling better today. I think because I haven't been eating anything except bananas. :P

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't know what I'd do without this message board! I'm feeling better today. I think because I haven't been eating anything except bananas. :P

Marie, a fairly effective natural remedy for diarrhea is turmeric tea. Just dump a tablespoon in cup of boiling water twice a day. Helps kick inflammation and infection too. A lot of people try turmeric tea for boils (and it frequently works very well for that!) and then they wind up constipated. So, good for diarrhea!

lynnelise Apprentice

Sound crazy but try Citrucel. I know most people take it in order to go but it can help bulk up your stool if you are suffering from diarrhea. I've used it with good results. Also apple cider vinegar can help sooth your stomach during a virus. Not the tastiest though.

Archived