This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coconut Flour?

Sage122

Sage122 Explorer

I have dry shredded coconut flakes at my house. They are dried out. I was wondering if I ground them up in a food processor...would that make coconut flour?? I want to use it in a pancake recipe as a gluten-free flour.

Also, I have almond meal at the house. Is that the same thing as almond flour?

Btw which pancakes sound better? Almond pancakes (with almond flour and almond milk) or coconut pancakes (with coconut flour and coconut milk)? ...I'm lactose intolerant

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

I'd always choose coconut over anything else:) Yum!

Not sure about the flour question, hopefully one of the clever cooks on here will be along to tell you the answer!

Mateto Enthusiast

Almond meal is almond flour.

Yes, you can put the shreds of coconut into a processor, and it will turn into flour. It will work nicely, and although it may not be the same as the store-bought/normal flour....it'll just be more coconutty-tasting. Go ahead, and it'll be perfect.

I think the almond pancakes sound better, but that's me :D

Sage122 Explorer

beachbirdie Contributor

I have dry shredded coconut flakes at my house. They are dried out. I was wondering if I ground them up in a food processor...would that make coconut flour?? I want to use it in a pancake recipe as a gluten-free flour.

Btw which pancakes sound better? Almond pancakes (with almond flour and almond milk) or coconut pancakes (with coconut flour and coconut milk)? ...I'm lactose intolerant

Almond meal=almond flour, but be sure you get a good brand if you don't make it yourself. The almond flour from Honeyville Grains is much finer and better than Bob's Red Mill for most baking. Probably will work okay in pancakes.

Remember that using coconut flour you need more eggs and liquid. Even if it's made from your dried up flakes, it will suck up a lot of wet stuff! It's best combined with other flours.

Coconut pancakes sound really yummy!

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I've never had good luck doing a 100% substitution with my homemade almond meal, but that might be b/c it tends to be my leftovers from making almond milk. I usually sub it for part of what the recipe calls for (maybe 25% or so), then use commercial for the rest. Cookies seem to be a little more forgiving of my almond meal than breads and such.

Archived