This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Recipe

Kelleybean

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Hi -

Did a quick search of the site and couldn't find anything. I made the sandwich bread using the Bella mix and it was awesome, but also fairly expensive. I was wondering if I could do this myself. Here are the ingredients: Tapioca flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, flax seed meal, sesame seeds, sea salt, sunflower seeds, organic evaporated cane juice, xantham gum, and yeast.

Anyone have a similar recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

Based on some of the recipes I make, I'd give this a try:

Mix the tapioca, brown rice, sorghum, and potato for a total of 2 cups (I'd use 1 cup of brown rice and split the other cup between the rest). 2 or 3 T of ground flaxseed meal, a T of sesame seeds, 1 t of salt, as many sunflower seeds as you like, 2 t of xanthan gum. Mix all those ingredients. I don't know how evaporated cane juice is used or even if you can get it, but a little sugar (maybe 2 t) will help it brown and feed the yeast. Put 2-1/4 t of dry yeast (or one package) in a cup and add a little sugar (1/2 t). To the yeast add about 1/4 cup of warm water and stir, then let it sit for a few minutes. When it has become bubbly and is obviously growing, then you can add it to the dry ingredients along with enough warm water to get all of the dry ingredients wet (probably about 3/4 of a cup, but this can vary and is the trickiest part of these recipes). Mix on medium - high for 3-4 minutes to make sure it's well mixed. It should become smooth except for the seeds and be thicker than cake batter but thinner than normal bread dough (yeah, I know, that's easy for me to say).

Scrape it into a greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 pan, cover it with a clean towel and let rise. Preheat the oven to 350. When it rises to the top of the pan (not higher), put it in the oven for 10 minutes. At that point, cover it loosely with foil and bake another 45-50 minutes. At the end of that time, press a finger gently on the top - if it seems very soft and spongy, give it another 5 minutes, and repeat if necessary. Remove from pan to cool. Don't slice it until it is cool.

Without knowing their recipe, it could come out very different but it should still be edible. And you can always use it for croutons. Many recipes have some fat (oil or melted butter) and some eggs to help moisten them and hold them together. You could try that, but watch the amount of water you add because you will have already added some liquid. If you want a larger loaf increase the flours to a total of 3 cups and use a larger pan and another t of xanthan gum, along with more water but no increase in yeast. I have better luck with 2-cup recipes. Good luck!

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Perfect - thanks! I should have added that to the mix you are supposed to add 1 c water, 1/4 c oil, and 2 tbs honey or sugar.

lpellegr Collaborator

Based on those amounts, I'd guess that it contains 2 c of flour total. Good luck! Don't add all the water until you see how the dough looks - keep back about 1/4 cup. The dough should be thick and sticky, but not runny. If it looks too thick, add more water, about a tablespoon at a time and mix it in.

Archived