• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Weight Loss..constant Struggle

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

New to the board, fairly recent diagnosis (November 2011). I assume there are many people struggling with so many symptoms, so i was happy to find this forum. In my case the brain fog and weight loss is the most difficult to manage. Looking for suggestions from others with celiac disease. Thank you.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi Amy. I'm new myself. The only advice I can give is to stay strictly with whole foods, naturally gluten free. No processed foods at all. This will also make sure trace gluten is not getting to you thru food (thinking of the brain fog) Also is Dairy or another ingredient causing you trouble?

Just things to think about. Good luck to you. :)

Hi Amy. I'm new myself. The only advice I can give is to stay strictly with whole foods, naturally gluten free. No processed foods at all. This will also make sure trace gluten is not getting to you thru food (thinking of the brain fog) Also is Dairy or another ingredient causing you trouble?

Just things to think about. Good luck to you. :)

Thank you. Not sure about dairy. Im thinking i am not doing such a great job in managing this. I just avoid food. I was a 3000 a day eater and loved food and snacking. When i became sick last fall, my biopsy showed a raging case, yet i had no pain, and very few symptoms. It was quite strange, and docs were a little baffled as well. It seems this forum will be very helpful.

I was just recently diagnosed (in May of 2012) and I was putting on a lot of weight before my diagnosis. All throughout college I was about 120lbs and just before diagnosis I topped out at 155lbs (I'm 5'3"). Just like you, never had any GI symptoms and the diagnosis was a total surprise. Diets and exercise never worked and I just kept packing on weight slowly but surely. Since going gluten free, exercising more, and being more conscious of what I eat, I've lost 15 pounds since May and I hope to lose some more! I also started seeing a nutritionist who is experienced with Celiac and that helped me a lot too. It seems that before I went gluten free, even though I ate a good amount of food (most of it contained gluten) my body went into starvation mode because it wasn't able to absorb any of the food I was consuming. Now that my body can absorb more, I think my metabolism has gotten much better and I'm able to start losing the weight.

My suggestion to you is eat whole foods - meats, fish, poultry, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I eat some gluten free substitute foods but I try to stay away from having too much because they often have too many carbs and calories which don't make the weight loss any easier. Drink a lot of water - I have about 12 cups per day, and that should hopefully help too....best wishes and let us know how you're doing!!

You might also 'test' yourself for other foods your body cannot tolerate. I learned that here, at this site, and found many that I reacted to. When I keep those things out of my diet, I can drop 2 lbs a week, easy. I found I am extremely sensitive to corn in any form. A "contaminated" pill or a bit of citric acid (which is usually corn based in the USA, and seldom even listed on a label!) will shoot the scales right back up 5-10 lbs. And I am back to where I started in weight loss.

It can't hurt to test yourself, then you will know for certain.

Ads by Google: