This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Fat Metabolism/weight Loss

Chad Sines

Chad Sines Rising Star

I should preface this with I need to lose about 30 pounds. The best I felt in my life was on Atkins, ie low carb, high fat 7 years ago. I seem to have little luck with low calorie, low fat eating as far as weight goes. After the first few days I was great with great labs to back it after a year. GB was removed 5ish years ago when the docs thought my celiac issues were GB. I seem to alternate with fat metabolism issues. For the last 7ish days I have been back on Atkins but I do not seem to be able to elevate the fat content to a lc level. At times when I eat high fat I have very noticeable abdominal bloating, nausea, and the backend issues. I have had a single egg produce the GI bloating a couple of hours later. I am curious if a lot of my celiac symptoms I feel with gluten-free are from the fat intolerance.

I have tried to keep the fat to just egg yolk, 94% fat free ground beef, and olive oil.

The bile acid supplements caused me severe heartburn even at a lost dose. Lipase seems to have no effect.

The question I have is if I am just out of luck ever going full lc or is there an approximate time frame where I will have a normalized fat metabolism? I am curious if I should just stay lc and suck it up so to speak with the side effects or stay low fat, low calorie for a while and try it again or quite frankly try something else.

I think what I am thinking in me head while also asking out loud if it does not sound better to not worry about the numbers on the scale now, got low fat, and low calorie and just give the gut time to heal without stressing over weight.

On the positive side, I have been very serious about being gluten-free for a while now after being a moron about it off and on.

Hopefully some of this makes sense, because I think I confused myself writing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Perhaps you need to be seriously gluten free for a longer period of time to have your gut heal and allow you to process other foods better? If that doesn't bring improvement I'd suggest strict elimination diet/symptom log to identify any food intolerance you may have.

It can be confusing trying to weed out other intolerance one at a time.

Chad Sines Rising Star

You got that right. I seem to alternate on some foods. I am cool with them one week and then overnight they kill me. Wouldn't this all be so much easier if we consistently had issues with the same foods all the time.

I think this next week I am going to forgo the low carb, eat the low fat and see if that changes how I feel physically. I am just not going to stress over weight reduction and focus more on feeling good so I can devote more energy to working out which is just something I have not felt good enough to do the last two months.

Adalaide Mentor

It may be some time you need to be healed. Honestly though, I was told by my doctor after having my gallbladder out that I would likely have to follow a low fat diet the rest of my life as most of his patients suffer from severe GI symptoms from even a "normal" fat intake. You may have to simply accept this fact. I seem to do okay though as long as I don't overdo it. I haven't gone low fat, but as long as I stay high fiber and stay away from deep fried foods I'm doing just fine with my GI symptoms and fat.

For me the only time I've effectively lost weight in the past was with high high exercise daily routines. Now I can barely walk around the block. :( It's an adjustment for all of us and we just need to learn what best suits our bodies as things change for us.

Chad Sines Rising Star

I could not agree with you more about the adjustment. Sometimes you have to rationalize it out loud for it to really sink in to yourself. I hate that the docs are so quick to remove the GB and tell you that it will change nothing in your life. For some that seems to be true but for many of us, it screws our GI up forever.

• 5 years later...
Leontine Newbie

I think I know what your problem might be. And it is quite common. You simply can't tolerate eggs. I don't know if that's an allergy or what, but for years I have been having the exact same problem. Just like you, one yolk will do me in and will upset my digestive tract very badly. Too bad because I love eggs. I now buy the 100% liquid egg whites and they taste great!

Of course this doesn't solve your fat intake problem. I have this problem as well. I've had it even before I lost my gallbladder. Chicken fat is another big no no for me and anything fried in oil or oil based dressings, forget them. But egg yolks are worse, they literally make me sick, which makes me believe it's not just the fat in egg yolks but a reaction to something else as well. 

For me oils, naturally found in certain foods, I am able to tolerate fairly well. Such as the fat you find in avocados, nuts, and even in salmon without the skin. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Leontine said:

I think I know what your problem might be. And it is quite common. You simply can't tolerate eggs. I don't know if that's an allergy or what, but for years I have been having the exact same problem. Just like you, one yolk will do me in and will upset my digestive tract very badly. Too bad because I love eggs. I now buy the 100% liquid egg whites and they taste great!

Of course this doesn't solve your fat intake problem. I have this problem as well. I've had it even before I lost my gallbladder. Chicken fat is another big no no for me and anything fried in oil or oil based dressings, forget them. But egg yolks are worse, they literally make me sick, which makes me believe it's not just the fat in egg yolks but a reaction to something else as well. 

For me oils, naturally found in certain foods, I am able to tolerate fairly well. Such as the fat you find in avocados, nuts, and even in salmon without the skin. 

Your responding to a old post...BUT OMG, I can not tolerate animal fats, olive oil, certain others, either. Fish are alright but animal fats have me puking. I found it is a pancreas issue, I can tolerate yolks, olive oil, and other foods better by taking supplemental pancreatic enzymes. But it is amusing how some fats bother me other do not, seems many just float onto of my stomach acid and do not break down -_-. I Find many foods like almonds, coconut,etc  need to be soaked over night or made into a butter or heated so they sink in water before I can eat them.

The egg whites thing is funny, I make omelettes/crust in quiche with 240g of egg whites, but have to add other fats like coconut flour, coconut milk,  a nut or seed butter/flour avocados, etc. to make up for the fat loss. And  I either blend in or put Kal Nutritional yeast on top for the lost yolk nutrients.

I also make breads out of egg whites and coconut flour bases.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lisas11lisa Apprentice

You sound exactly like me..need to loose 30..Celiac..had to have my GB out..I was only functioning at 18%..I cannot tolerate fats..and now I have Gastropresis..which means my stomach is slow to empty food...so more restrictions..I am monitoring fat..and have to fiber as well..eggs bother me and several other people I know who've had GB surgery..trial and error..RESEARCH..and strict gluten-free diet..I'm Lactose intolerant..and all grains bother me...Digestive Enzymes may help..GOODLUCK.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
57 minutes ago, lisas11lisa said:

You sound exactly like me..need to loose 30..Celiac..had to have my GB out..I was only functioning at 18%..I cannot tolerate fats..and now I have Gastropresis..which means my stomach is slow to empty food...so more restrictions..I am monitoring fat..and have to fiber as well..eggs bother me and several other people I know who've had GB surgery..trial and error..RESEARCH..and strict gluten-free diet..I'm Lactose intolerant..and all grains bother me...Digestive Enzymes may help..GOODLUCK.

I still have my gall bladder...unsure of its health. I consume 70-120g of fiber a day...sorta happens living on on nuts,seeds, and cocoa nibs...I can not consume starch/sugar, carbs or my ulcerative colitis flares up so I live on plant based fats, and plant proteins for food.

The digestive dumping thing is a issue for me in the evenings....I have to have liquid/blended lunch and dinner. I found a few things to trigger gastric dumping, 2-3x dose of digestive enzymes (porcine jarrow enzymes), 2-3x dose of betaine HCL (stomach acid enhancers) and I add some Cinnamon essential oil to a shot of coffee before a meal just a few drops as of late this seems to help. Research showed that the stomach detects how and went to dump but the bounce back of the PH in the stomach and pressure. So the HCL and enzymes help I also have to take magnesium citrate to keep me regular and help with stress but I take it over a hour before meals drinking this in hot glass of my other regimes of liquid medications helps promote the gut to move. On the hot liquids...NEVER drink anything cold if you have gastric dumping issues. -_- I learned the hard way that will just shut my system down til it warms back up. Warm or hot drinks/food so they body does not have to do any extra work.

They doctors recently linked my enzyme and stomach issues to a nerve issue in my spine at the T7. I am thinking since I have gluten ataxia and I know it attacked my nervous system that perhaps it damaged this nerve. They did a reading on my spine checking for signals, they all seemed high or normal except the T7 which read at 15% of normal.

Lactose intolerant, whey allergy, peanut intolerant, soy intolerant, slight olive intolerance, few others and one that come and go myself.

Amusing thing about the fats, is how most plant fats are not much of a issue (olive, canola, peanut, and rice bran will cause issues), but animal fats aside from fish and crab....are really bad.  I use to tolerate longhorn beef that was strictly grass fed from the farmers market....interestingly it was so lean you could brown and and have NO grease in the pan. I chock this up to why it did not cause vomiting...but I would notice some of it in the stool....so I had digestion issues with it...also note bad body odor with it, but poultry also causes this odor....like acidic urine smell from my body after eating them. Dietician said this was a sign my body did not tolerate meat...something about excreting something that it could not handle, and she said something about the meat going rancid in my gut.

Archived