This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reading

BabsV

justlisa Apprentice

Adelaide, That edit is flipping hysterical. .lmbo

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mbrookes Community Regular

Just stumbled on this thread. I read constantly. I love Nevada Barr's books, especically the Anna Pigeon series. Have any of you read Greg Isles? Try his The Quiet Game and Turning Angel. For funny entertainment there is anything by Janet Evanovich, especially the numbered ones (One For the Money through Eighteen).

bartfull Rising Star

I haven't contributed to this thread yet, partially because my taste in books is so eclectic you will all think I'm strange. (But then again, I've been here long enough for you to KNOW that already!)

My very favorite author in the world is Jane Austen. I have read all six of her books and the fragments dozens of times. As a matter of fact, when 9/11 happened, like many folks I could not read at all. No concentration. But when I finally felt able to read, I reached for Pride and Prejudice. So soothing.

My second favorite author is Larry Niven. He writes hard science fiction. I recommend Ringworld in particular. And one he wrote with Jerry Pournelle called The Mote in God's Eye.

I also love John Steinbeck. And Larry McMurtry. And Steven King.

Oh yeah, anything about King Arthur, from Steinbeck to Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon is fantastic.

Basically, if it has words, I'll read it. I haven't owned a TV in decades. I'd much rather sit and read in the evening than do just about anything else. So yeah, anything from the classics to science fiction to cereal boxes. It's all good.

love2travel Mentor

I haven't contributed to this thread yet, partially because my taste in books is so eclectic you will all think I'm strange. (But then again, I've been here long enough for you to KNOW that already!)

My very favorite author in the world is Jane Austen. I have read all six of her books and the fragments dozens of times. As a matter of fact, when 9/11 happened, like many folks I could not read at all. No concentration. But when I finally felt able to read, I reached for Pride and Prejudice. So soothing.

My second favorite author is Larry Niven. He writes hard science fiction. I recommend Ringworld in particular. And one he wrote with Jerry Pournelle called The Mote in God's Eye.

I also love John Steinbeck. And Larry McMurtry. And Steven King.

Oh yeah, anything about King Arthur, from Steinbeck to Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon is fantastic.

Basically, if it has words, I'll read it. I haven't owned a TV in decades. I'd much rather sit and read in the evening than do just about anything else. So yeah, anything from the classics to science fiction to cereal boxes. It's all good.

I, too, love Jane Austen. It was wonderful seeing where she grew up and wrote in England. And the Bronte sisters. And William Thackery Makepeace's "Vanity Fair". Anything that genre is lovely in my mind. Oh, and Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hardy... The classics. How could I forget Charles Dickens "Bleak House", "Tale of Two Cities" and so on? Wonderful.

I read on average nearly 300 books a year. Keeps my mind occupied and sharp! I could not handle not having a book in my hands. I do not watch TV, either, as my preference is for books which are like friends to me.

Have you tried Daphne du Maurier? She is insanely brilliant.

I am really into Victorian upstairs/downstairs books. The class distinction is fascinating. Also love reading about ancient Egypt, Israel, Jordan...

One of my favourite authors ever is Agatha Christie. I've read all her books several times each. I just can't help it.

One genre I cannot stand is science fiction. Another is horror. And thirdly, fake romance/bodice rippers.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Some of my favorite titles:

1. Prophecy of the Sisters (trilogy)

2. Book Theif

3. Tiger Moon

4. If I Stay/ Where She Went

5. Hunger Games (of course!!)

I'm just getting started with Delerium, it's rather Hunger Games-ish..pretty good so far!

love2travel Mentor

I'm just getting started with Delerium, it's rather Hunger Games-ish..pretty good so far!

Unsure whether I would like Hunger Games. Is it Sci Fi-ish? Harry Potter-ish? Abhor those so am wondering about HG. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and see!

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

Unsure whether I would like Hunger Games. Is it Sci Fi-ish? Harry Potter-ish? Abhor those so am wondering about HG. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and see!

ETA: Sorry for the double post. My computer was acting up and it did not look as though the first one posted.

It is a bit sci-fi, but more on along the lines of a cross of twilight sort of romance and Big Brother, did you read that one? Lol I may re-read that one soon! Ofcourse it is laced with a love story and a heroine. It might be worth checking out, I didn't know if I'd like it and loved it right away. ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm not the only one who does this?!?!?! YAY!!! Just need words in a row, whatever lands in front of my face, it's gettin read.

Do you like the Stephen R. Lawhead Arthur books?

Loey Rising Star

Game of Thrones reading it until it's ready to purchase (we don't have expensive cable bundle like we did when DH had a job)

The Marriage Plot

Anything on JFK, jr. (I watch RHONYC and one of the characters wrote a great book What Remains),

ANYTHING by Louise Hay. Very positive and enlightening with a lot of Affirmations

Dexter, Louie C.K.,Damages, Walking Dead (my son took a Zombie course at Brown last semester).

I know I've read many more and will add on. Having a Kindle Fire makes it so much easier to bring all for books with you. I also have developed some come & go vision problems so being able to enlarge the font is a lifesaver for an avid reader!

Loey

nomoregluten Newbie

Huge fan of contemporary authors like Paul Auster and Murakami. Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...
IrishHeart Veteran

my taste in books is so eclectic you will all think I'm strange.

Basically, if it has words, I'll read it.

I don't think you're strange Barty, because I am the exact same way. :)

I just finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese --a beautifully crafted novel. I hated for it to end.

Then, I read Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers. Lovely book about strong women during the Roman's siege of Massada.

Just cracked open The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani.

Loey Rising Star

I don't think you're strange Barty, because I am the exact same way. :)

I just finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese --a beautifully crafted novel. I hated for it to end.

Then, I read Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers. Lovely book about strong women during the Roman's siege of Massada.

Just cracked open The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani.

I also highly recommend our own author Vincent's (VydorScope) sci-fi novels. I zipped through Volume 1 and am reading Volume 2 at warp speed. Haven't enjoyed sci-fi so much since Heinlein (sp?), Asimov, Star Trek, Star Wars. I swear he didn't pay me for this unsolicited post!! He's that good!

Saw the pain doctor today and had to sign my life away and take a pee test. DH is out picking up my new meds tonight. Federally regulated. Hopefully they'll bring relief. I pulled my back out (but not by falling). I think I slept on my back which is a no no. Also have minor fractures throughout body from previous falls. Luckily when I can't sleep I lose myself in Vincent's book.

Love & Healing Hugs,

Loey

love2travel Mentor

Am I the only one who has memorized labels on bottles of shampoo? Does "Wet hair. Lather. Rinse. Repeat." sound familiar? I cannot sit still anywhere without some book or label to read. I just can't stand it.

IrishHeart Veteran

Am I the only one who has memorized labels on bottles of shampoo? Does "Wet hair. Lather. Rinse. Repeat." sound familiar? I cannot sit still anywhere without some book or label to read. I just can't stand it.

I once read a "Constitutional Law" book because it was there and I was wide awake. Too lazy to go downstairs and I wondered if I would understand it. I did, but it bored me to tears and I fell asleep shortly thereafter. The shampoo bottle was more interesting.

Needless to say, I turned down my law school acceptance.

Loey Rising Star

If I really like a book I put a copy of it (if it's not on my Kindle) in one of the bathrooms. You're not alone smile.gif

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I'm pretty eclectic (Karreeeng will tell you it's not just with bookslaugh.gif) but I love sci-fi, horror & fantasy. Haven't seen Hunger Games yet. I'm addicted to Game of Thrones. I usually read all the books before we watch them because we buy the season. Haven't been watching as much TV since DH got me my Kindle. I read in the car on long trips. My mother was an avid reader but she would always read the last page in a book to see if she'd like it.

Healing Hugs,

Loey

sora Community Regular

This made me laugh out loud. :) I do that too.

Here they are in French and English. When people are surprised I don't speak French I say, "But I can read French." :P

I'll read anything except Romance usually.

Cereal boxes. When I was a kid it was reading the cereal box over and over. Still have the word monkey on my back.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll read anything except Romance usually.

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, (sorry all those who are, just not my thing) yet I love to watch Fringe.

And by romance do you mean the ones with a Fabio type on the cover, his long hair blowing back as he holds the woman almost upside down in an impossible back stretch with her tatas falling out romance?

or

Wuthering Heights ill-fated wanna cut your wrists you're so sad after reading romance?

or

a floof romance like The Notebook?

if so, I do not like them much either.

Loey Rising Star

I'm not a big sci-fi fan, (sorry all those who are, just not my thing) yet I love to watch Fringe.

And by romance do you mean the ones with a Fabio type on the cover, his long hair blowing back as he holds the woman almost upside down in an impossible back stretch with her tatas falling out romance?

or

Wuthering Heights ill-fated wanna cut your wrists you're so sad after reading romance?

or

a floof romance like The Notebook?

if so, I do not like them much either.

Don't get me started on Fabio. The commercials he was doing made my skin crawl. I'm fussy with my romance novels. I love the old reliable authors for that. Not a big rom-com fan unless it's highly recommended.

God Bless books. At one point I was going to be a librarian but took the special ed route instead. Healing Hugs to all my psillies and readers alike!

wub.gifwub.gif

Loey

VydorScope Proficient

Gosh, I read through this thread and saw so many books mentioned that I read and loved..

For the post about Dean Knootz - Phantoms. AWSOME read, easily his best. Did not like Lightning so much though.

For the post about King - He best work was the Bachman books, IMO, I read It, Stand, the dark tower series, and etc.. but he is only "okay" in my list

For the post about Niven - Ringworld for sure! Love it! Mote in God's eye was good too.

I could go one, but I read EVERYTHING. Christopher Stasheff, Asimov, Clancy, Hardy Boys, Douglas Adams, and so one. The first book ever read was when I was seven and I devoured "The Never Ending Story" and have not stopped reading since. Its slower now that I am in grad school, but thanks to e-books I have read more in to self-published authors that just were not accessible before this age. I also read a lot of non-fiction, but that just depends on the topic that I am currently hot on.

Currently I am between books trying to decide what to read next. I just finished 80 A.D. which is actually a children's series (early YA). I am thinking of reading The Princes Bride next only because I really enjoyed the movie. My TBR list is wide and varied.

You can steal my TV, but try and take my Nook, and you will find out how I got all those karate trophy's on my mantle! :angry:

Gosh, I read through this thread and saw so many books mentioned that I read and loved..

For the post about Dean Knootz - Phantoms. AWSOME read, easily his best. Did not like Lightning so much though.

Pffffft- Watchers is totally his best book. :P

VydorScope Proficient

Pffffft- Watchers is totally his best book. :P

It was good... but... Phantoms still wins. :P To much was known about Watchers, Phantoms was much more unknown as you went. :huh:

love2travel Mentor

I once read a "Constitutional Law" book because it was there and I was wide awake. Too lazy to go downstairs and I wondered if I would understand it. I did, but it bored me to tears and I fell asleep shortly thereafter. The shampoo bottle was more interesting.

Needless to say, I turned down my law school acceptance.

:lol: I've tried reading my husband's accounting law and tax books but man - those are as dry as a stick! So, I read shampoo bottles and soap thingies when I am in the bathroom.

love2travel Mentor

For those of you who love to travel (or dream of it), this may appeal. Instead of taking a book in with me to the bathroom I request travel brochures from various countries. You do not have to become involved in a book - just drool over the photos. Most of the brochures I order are B&B accommodations that take ages to get through. Right now I am "reading" a big glossy brochure on the National Trust properties in the UK. Does anyone else go to this extreme? The last ones were on Slovenia.

I take my Kobo or a book with me to appointments, too. I have so many piles of books in the house right now it's almost insane! My husband cannot keep up with putting up bookshelves. :lol:

Archived