This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

One More Thing

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I could swear my Immune system is just a system that has been overtaken by a devious, laughing hyena. I am now crazy allergic to vinyl gloves. Really? That's what people wear so they Don't have allergic reactions! Ohhhh Me. I wonder if I am the only one with all kinds of goofy allergies. Well I always wanted to be unique but now I just feel like I should call up Newt Gingrich and ask if he could shoot a little higher and attempt to send me to Mars. I have this deep feeling that I belong there and it was meant to be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

OUCH! Have you reacted to any other vinyl? Like wearing shorts and sitting on the seat in your car? (Double ouch!) There is vinyl everywhere! I'm wondering (and I really have no idea) if those gloves have corn in them. I know the hard plastics do but maybe they're using it in soft plastic now too?

GottaSki Mentor

You are not the only one with goofy allergies -- although I call all mine intolerance as I have had multiple allergy tests over the years and am only allergic to dust.

This past year I developed reaction to laytex gloves -- now have to answer yes to that pesky question at every doc appt. Once health and healed I am going to try them again just to make sure it wasn't a one/well three off.

Try Nitrile gloves? If you still have reaction...are you wearing for long periods of time? I am still not certain that my latex glove reaction was not a heat reaction as I am severely intolerant of heat.

Adalaide Mentor

I noticed a few years ago that I was breaking out in a rash whenever I used latex gloves. Then I was got a job in a restaurant that used latex gloves and omg, it took about 2 seconds for me to be ripping that thing back off me! I thought I put my hand in a beehive. I keep the nitrile ones at home myself for when I clean, I don't think I've ever tried vinyl but that sounds like a weird thing to have a reaction to.

If it makes you feel any better though I have those days. Suddenly I'll have a weird reaction or something will go wrong or whatever and I'll be like yup... only I could possibly be this screwed up. Then I laugh about it because if I don't I'd have to cry about it.

OUCH! Have you reacted to any other vinyl? Like wearing shorts and sitting on the seat in your car? (Double ouch!) There is vinyl everywhere! I'm wondering (and I really have no idea) if those gloves have corn in them. I know the hard plastics do but maybe they're using it in soft plastic now too?

I have no idea either but it happened once before at another clients home. I remember they were the clear gloves. They had powder in them though so i figured that was why. These gloves today did not. It was the same thing. My hands feel like burning and itching and i happened to wipe my nose qith the bottom of the glove and my nose and lips are on fire. Never had a problem with car interiors so it beats me.

You are not the only one with goofy allergies -- although I call all mine intolerance as I have had multiple allergy tests over the years and am only allergic to dust.

This past year I developed reaction to laytex gloves -- now have to answer yes to that pesky question at every doc appt. Once health and healed I am going to try them again just to make sure it wasn't a one/well three off.

Try Nitrile gloves? If you still have reaction...are you wearing for long periods of time? I am still not certain that my latex glove reaction was not a heat reaction as I am severely intolerant of heat.

I will be sure to use the beautiful purple nitrile gloves from now on. Who cares if i look like Barney. I wore them for about ten minutes. There it goes I am not the only one defying science. We are getting enough for a small colony now.

I noticed a few years ago that I was breaking out in a rash whenever I used latex gloves. Then I was got a job in a restaurant that used latex gloves and omg, it took about 2 seconds for me to be ripping that thing back off me! I thought I put my hand in a beehive. I keep the nitrile ones at home myself for when I clean, I don't think I've ever tried vinyl but that sounds like a weird thing to have a reaction to.

If it makes you feel any better though I have those days. Suddenly I'll have a weird reaction or something will go wrong or whatever and I'll be like yup... only I could possibly be this screwed up. Then I laugh about it because if I don't I'd have to cry about it.

You think that until you get back on this forum and talk to all these other people. Oh well we are special. Literally one in a million.

Yes. That is the only way I survive most definitely. I have had plenty frustrating moments...like the day i made hot sauce and that just washing my hands would do just fine. I couldnt wear my contacts for three days. Funny thing is that the recipe mentioned to only prepare in a well ventilated area but didnt mention the acid stays in your skin for a week. Oh the joys of being young and "homemade ignorant". Gonna go buy myself some nitrile gloves just to be safe if a client does not have any.

bartfull Rising Star

The purple gloves seem to fit better anyway. And don't think of them as Barney gloves. Think of them as orchid gloves. They really are pretty. :)

The purple gloves seem to fit better anyway. And don't think of them as Barney gloves. Think of them as orchid gloves. They really are pretty. :)

Yeah? I guess that is true. Idk maybe it is the fact that it just clashes with my navy uniform. Bright purple and deep navy...Eh?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Not all nitrile are purple...I use royal blue.

Not all nitrile are purple...I use royal blue.

I see. Well actually no cause i dont believe i have seen any yet except on "mystery diagnosis".

GottaSki Mentor

Love Mystery Diagnosis - after all we are living it :)

"Two by two, hands of blue"

Love Mystery Diagnosis - after all we are living it :)

"Two by two, hands of blue"

Lol exactly!

• 2 weeks later...
marjean Newbie

I could swear my Immune system is just a system that has been overtaken by a devious, laughing hyena. I am now crazy allergic to vinyl gloves. Really? That's what people wear so they Don't have allergic reactions! Ohhhh Me. I wonder if I am the only one with all kinds of goofy allergies. Well I always wanted to be unique but now I just feel like I should call up Newt Gingrich and ask if he could shoot a little higher and attempt to send me to Mars. I have this deep feeling that I belong there and it was meant to be.

I feel like I am falling apart..I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease almost 2 years ago and if anything everything else is falling apart..arthritis, bronchitis, asthma, etc..and now allergies are taking over my life. If I go outside I get lesions; In fact, I get them everywhere..Im wondering if its my laundry soap, shampoo, etc..I have heard people say if you dont ingest it, it wont hurt..Im very careful to eat gluton free, but no matter what I do, my body looks like I have measles. Now I hear corn contains gluton, as well as rice..so now Im trying that..drives me nuts!

I feel like I am falling apart..I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease almost 2 years ago and if anything everything else is falling apart..arthritis, bronchitis, asthma, etc..and now allergies are taking over my life. If I go outside I get lesions; In fact, I get them everywhere..Im wondering if its my laundry soap, shampoo, etc..I have heard people say if you dont ingest it, it wont hurt..Im very careful to eat gluton free, but no matter what I do, my body looks like I have measles. Now I hear corn contains gluton, as well as rice..so now Im trying that..drives me nuts!

Honey, I went through the same confusion. Just to help you understand, sometimes the word "gluten" is used as a broad term to refer to any kind of grain protein. Celiacs do not react to these other proteins like maize or proteins in rice unless they have a leaky gut that caused other allergies. Anyway celiacs react to gliadin. Only in wheat, rye, and barley, and things derived from them often times. Yes, all of your products should be gluten free. Many on here react to gluten when it passes through their nasal passages and then is ultimately swallowed. You can sometimes also have a regular allergy to gluten too. Some people have skin reactions and so on.

Point is that uncontaminated rice and corn is completely safe unless you developed reactions to them because of proteins leaching into your bloodstream from your damaged gut. You can still be getting glutened from cross contamination or from, say your shampoo residue entering your mouth. It can take just a microscopic amount. Hand soaps should be checked. Absolutely everything. You can learn a lot on this forum. It may make you feel a little less hopeless if you share your frustrations and also browse and learn about what other problems you may be having.

Good luck!

Archived