This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

504 Plan

Gluten Free Girls

Gluten Free Girls Apprentice

I am starting the referral process for both my 2nd and 8th graders who have Celiac Disease. I'm not asking for meals to be prepared at school but rather things like, having access to their own water bottle at all times, extra sets of textbooks for home, extra time to make up work after an extended absence, communication from teachers about birthday snacks, holiday treats or incentives. What am I missing? I would love some suggestions! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hornet Rookie

Have they gotten sick frequently and miss a lot if school. Accommodations need to be reasonable to the student and illness. I think anything relating to food, cross contamination is important and perhaps a health class should be done to teach kids about Celiac, so they can both understand it and that they cannot catch it. It is best for teachers and cafeteria workers to know about this too. It is also important that the teacher leave instructions for a sub, where there to be a party or holiday celebration. I'm not sure about the need for an extra set of books, unless they miss a lot of school. I think every parent would like that for their kids. Just have the 504 focused on each child, the illness and try to anticipate issues. The 504 can always be amended. You don't want it to become a stigma so your kids will potentially be sources of bullying. Good luck.

Hornet Rookie

One other thing. As far as I know, there is no formal referral process for a 504. It is a federal accommodation plan for general education students. It is completely unrelated to special education, which requires many formal issues such as a psych eval to see if there is a learning disability. Be sure you don't get the issues confused as the departments and the processes are completely different.

StephanieL Enthusiast

One other thing. As far as I know, there is no formal referral process for a 504. It is a federal accommodation plan for general education students. It is completely unrelated to special education, which requires many formal issues such as a psych eval to see if there is a learning disability. Be sure you don't get the issues confused as the departments and the processes are completely different.

There actually is a formal process. First is the meeting to determin eligibility and if it is eligible they move onto the accommodations. It is different from an IEP, very true but there is still a process which usually includes the school psychologist along with a team of others.

I will look for our plan tonight at some point. One thing you may want to consider is wipes for compute, gym and art class as well as vetting products for art. We included not letting them use recycled food containers for art/craft things. I think you said but I am not sure about access with the bathrooms at any time. Again, I'll look for ours later and post anything that you may want to consider.

There actually is a formal process. First is the meeting to determin eligibility and if it is eligible they move onto the accommodations. It is different from an IEP, very true but there is still a process which usually includes the school psychologist along with a team of others.

I will look for our plan tonight at some point. One thing you may want to consider is wipes for compute, gym and art class as well as vetting products for art. We included not letting them use recycled food containers for art/craft things. I think you said but I am not sure about access with the bathrooms at any time. Again, I'll look for ours later and post anything that you may want to consider.

Thank you so much! I would love to see a finished and complete plan.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Thank you so much! I would love to see a finished and complete plan.

I looked and I think that pretty much covers it for the gluten-free stuff. We also have food allergies to deal with and some things are more specific to that. If you would like, I can message it to you.

Roda Rising Star

I guess I have been lucky. I have not had a need for a 504 plan yet. My youngest son's kindergarden teacher was great. Had a few issues with his first grade teacher but we got that worked out. He starts school on Thursday so I'll be informing his second grade teacher about his celiac. My oldest son had the same teacher last year in 5th grade so he has a little knowledge. Our School nurse has been wonderful also and is a great advocate for my youngest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

We haven't done a formal plan yet as our school was very, very willing to just do whatever we asked.

We added things like:

He uses a placemat or clean lunch tray (that has gone thru the commercial dishwasher) at his lunch table even though he brings his lunch from home. (The tables are just wiped off with a damp rag between classes - yuck)

No projects or crafts in the classroom that use wheat flour (because it becomes airborne and can settle of all surfaces) so, no cooking projects, no papier mache, no making salt/flour dough, etc.

He is reminded and allowed to wash his hands with soap and running water before lunch and snack (sometimes they have classes skip this and just use antibacterial wipes to save time)

He can excuse himself to go to the bathroom at any time without having to follow the classroom procedure. (in case of emergency - otherwise he follows the plan)

The teachers inform me (in advance) whenever there is a food-related event (field trip, reward party, birthday, etc.) so he can come prepared with his own food.

Cara

I guess I have been lucky. I have not had a need for a 504 plan yet. My youngest son's kindergarden teacher was great. Had a few issues with his first grade teacher but we got that worked out. He starts school on Thursday so I'll be informing his second grade teacher about his celiac. My oldest son had the same teacher last year in 5th grade so he has a little knowledge. Our School nurse has been wonderful also and is a great advocate for my youngest.

Our school has been amazing so we aren't placing the plan because we think there will be any problems. We visited the Celiac Center at Columbia University this summer and the experts there encouraged us to have a plan for both of our daughters simply because you never know what the disease will throw at you and having a plan in place that can be modified is so much better than starting from scratch. It also serves to protect my girls on the excessive absences front. 504's follow your children all the way through college which is also an advantage.

We haven't done a formal plan yet as our school was very, very willing to just do whatever we asked.

We added things like:

He uses a placemat or clean lunch tray (that has gone thru the commercial dishwasher) at his lunch table even though he brings his lunch from home. (The tables are just wiped off with a damp rag between classes - yuck)

No projects or crafts in the classroom that use wheat flour (because it becomes airborne and can settle of all surfaces) so, no cooking projects, no papier mache, no making salt/flour dough, etc.

He is reminded and allowed to wash his hands with soap and running water before lunch and snack (sometimes they have classes skip this and just use antibacterial wipes to save time)

He can excuse himself to go to the bathroom at any time without having to follow the classroom procedure. (in case of emergency - otherwise he follows the plan)

The teachers inform me (in advance) whenever there is a food-related event (field trip, reward party, birthday, etc.) so he can come prepared with his own food.

Cara

Thank you Cara! This is helpful.

I looked and I think that pretty much covers it for the gluten-free stuff. We also have food allergies to deal with and some things are more specific to that. If you would like, I can message it to you.

Hi Stephanie- I would love if you could message. My daughter has several food allergies as well. I'm a forum rookie so I don't know how to message but I would greatly appreciate seeing your plan. Rachael

kareng Grand Master

Hi Stephanie- I would love if you could message. My daughter has several food allergies as well. I'm a forum rookie so I don't know how to message but I would greatly appreciate seeing your plan. Rachael

How to message or PM (personal message):

Click on the envelope pic below thier avatar (picture) or click thier picture or name and go to the profile. This works even if they haven't added a pic, just use the "No Avatar" pic. Under the picture is a "send Message". To see your new messages. Look in the top, green corner with your name . You will see a number appear to show you have messages. Aso,, you get a message on the forum home page at the top of the new posts list.

Sorry doing this from memory so the exact wording may be different. If you want to, you can experiment on me and I will let you know right away that it worked. I'll be off and on today. :)

These are private messages. If you leave a message on the profile page, anyone looking at the person's profile can read it.

seezee Explorer

I have a daughter going into 8th grade. There are two things that happen that are an issue. One is adults in positions of authority with the best intentions ask her if something is safe and if she's not really sure they're frustrated with her or they think something is safe and don't accept a "No thank you" easily. The other is that they make a big deal in front of her peers about food. In her case she'd much rather sip on some soda or juice quietly than have the teacher running around trying to give her something different. In the 504 I ask that they respect her right to privacy and not single her out. I also ask that the teachers contact me at least 24 hours before they use food. Childrens hospital boston has some good templates and ideas. It's good to think about your own kids personality and what would make this the least stressful for them. Even with a 504 plan it's a problem at times. For example, it's someone's birthday and their mother shows up that morning with pizza and cupcakes. There are also adults who just really don't believe in celiac and they can be a pain.

Open Original Shared Link

She hasn't had issues with missing school so we don't have anything on that.

• 11 months later...

I started this topic a full year ago, but here I am gearing up for the school year and wanted to know if any of you know the typical process of "renewing"  a 504 plan that was in place last year.  I would love to know if any forms are required.  I have scheduled meetings with both of my daughters schools but want to make sure that I have everything in order.  THANK YOU!

mommy2krj Explorer

I believe you meet with the guidance counselor or whoever put it in place for you in the beginning and go over the plan. Then if there are any additions or subtractions from it....those get entered in and a revised plan is given to everyone, including you...you actually have to sign it and return it to the school to change it.

Now....I've never had a 504 Plan for a food issue....maybe it's a little different given the fact that food has a tendency to be SEEN if things aren't followed (as in it makes the child ill) but we have had issues with teachers either knowing about them AT ALL or following them but only barely...like they were suggestions and not specific plans written out. So...I would just double check that your child's teacher is fully aware and has read your child's 504 Plan.

Hmmm...looks like I will have to be doing this for the little guy now. Never really thought of having to do one...but it makes sense.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I just emailed our principal and then they called to schedule the review.  Ours involves the teacher, principal, school psychologist and myself. 

We talked about possible bussing this year but didn't add it yet. Not sure I'm ready for that! lol

BZBee Apprentice

Hmm, I thought 504 plans were for educational modifications. In my school system all health modifications are strictly met with notes from the Dr., and the nurse will train the teachers that have that student. Classes with students having food allergies and intolerances are educated the importance of hand washing and not sharing food. It should fall under the Equal Opportunities Act.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Hmm, I thought 504 plans were for educational modifications. In my school system all health modifications are strictly met with notes from the Dr., and the nurse will train the teachers that have that student. Classes with students having food allergies and intolerances are educated the importance of hand washing and not sharing food. It should fall under the Equal Opportunities Act.

Anything that is considered a disability, I believe. Celiac falls under this.

BZBee Apprentice

Yes it does. Unless their are learning deficits a 504 plan is not needed. A statement from the Dr. Is all that should be required. It's the law that the school follow the guidelines.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Theredoesn't need to be any learning deficits for there to be a 504.  Also, the guidelines do not need to be suggested by the Dr. at all. The only thing the Dr. really needs to do is state how the disability effects the childs ability to carry out basic life functions. The accommodations most often are suggested by the parents as they know what needs to be done to keep a child safe.

Archived