Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Yay, She Is Starting To Like Gluten-Free Substitutes!

3 posts in this topic

My 6 yr old daughter has now been gluten-free for just over a month. This is the kid who lived mostly on Annie's mac & cheese, pizza, grilled cheese, and cheese quesadillas in her pre-celiac life.

I'm happy to report that she will now eat an entire (personal-sized) gluten free pizza and polish off a big serving of Annie's rice mac & cheese! No, it's still not a healthy diet, but it's way better than the first several days of gluten-free, when she lived on oatmeal and applesauce. We're just happy that she's eating something. I think she's starting to forget the taste of gluten.

Now we're trying to get her to eat more non-grain-based foods. It's going to be a long struggle, but already she's more willing to take just.one.bite of something without a hissy fit. (Yesterday she tasted some red bell pepper in Thai curry sauce -- with fairly good grace, though she made a hilarious "yuck!" face.) Just wanted to share my relief at this development!

Ads by Google:

My 6 yr old daughter has now been gluten-free for just over a month. This is the kid who lived mostly on Annie's mac & cheese, pizza, grilled cheese, and cheese quesadillas in her pre-celiac life.

I'm happy to report that she will now eat an entire (personal-sized) gluten free pizza and polish off a big serving of Annie's rice mac & cheese! No, it's still not a healthy diet, but it's way better than the first several days of gluten-free, when she lived on oatmeal and applesauce. We're just happy that she's eating something. I think she's starting to forget the taste of gluten.

Now we're trying to get her to eat more non-grain-based foods. It's going to be a long struggle, but already she's more willing to take just.one.bite of something without a hissy fit. (Yesterday she tasted some red bell pepper in Thai curry sauce -- with fairly good grace, though she made a hilarious "yuck!" face.) Just wanted to share my relief at this development!

That is a huge step in a good direction! Good news!

Kids are so funny at that age. I have a nephew who just turned 6, and up until last winter it was quite amusing to give him something new to try, and watch his reactions. I can't tell you how many times he got a blank look on his face and just let the food fall out of his mouth. We finally got him to at least stand by the trash, and let it fall there if he didn't like it. But it was wonderful when he got to the point of having the willingness to even try stuff! And his tastes are now expanding rapidly.

:) Yippee!!! We have twin almost 6 year olds. We are just a few months ahead of you--we've been gluten-free since April (4 months). Our kids are being much more adventuresome food-wise. For one of the girls, I really believe it's because food doesn't hurt her belly anymore!

Here's a potential glimpse at your future: kids eating salmon, fish tacos, lots of broccoli, fresh spinach, loads of guacamole! ...and our girls have added 10% of their bodyweight in four months! It's incredible to see them actually being able to absorb nutrients!

Congratulations to you and your daughter!